U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 08:29 PM

6,211 posts, read 4,715,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think the op would be happy with clean and reasonably good condition.
Which I think should be everyone's minimum goal.

I don't think we need to worry about fashion if we don't care about it.
But we should at least appear to be clean.
The OP did not complain about dirty clothing. It was ratty, old or baggy. Ratty was used to describe the shoes. The biggest issue was the noise from the key chain.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 PM

26 posts, read 11,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If your good/dress-up clothes are confining, then they don't fit well. Get some nice clothes and shoes that fit. No reason to live in sweats all the time.
I never really thought about that
Here's the thing with me.. I've been a hard worker for over 10 years, with a family, I've always dressed up for work or job searching, you get home after having a really hard day, a man day, no offense ladies, and you just want to lounge, the weekend comes and eventually you just want to were lounging clothes again, then it just slowly becomes a way of life, lounging clothes.. Plus, family's have a tendency of eating more, "relaxing" more, spending more time outdoors, staying away from clubs, concerts, party's, so on so forth, so that makes it even better to just wear basket ball shorts and a plain t shirt.. I have some really nice clothes that fit me well, but it's just not the same feeling as putting on my lounge wear.. On the contrary, I keep up with my head and facial hair to the fullest!!! Plus I always wear my jewelry

Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The OP did not complain about dirty clothing. It was ratty, old or baggy. Ratty was used to describe the shoes. The biggest issue was the noise from the key chain.
I apologize for not being clear.
By clean, I also mean not stained.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 PM

6,211 posts, read 4,715,040 times
The OP did not mention stains, either.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:33 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The OP did not mention stains, either.
I think she mentioned something about them not being fresh somewhere else in the thread.
I took that to mean they were ratty (like his tennis shoes), stained, not new/clean looking.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:55 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,171 times
In defense of my Husband, he does tend to do some sort of work every day. So his wearing work attire is based on the fact that he does not have time to be changing his clothes from one sort to another. I don't mind the keys because that is preferable to helping him look all over for the keys.

He's having trouble with his feet at the moment and cannot really wear dressy shoes. He does have one set of nicer tennis shoes he wears to church and he does wear colored pocket t's or the ones with the 3 buttons. He wears jeans to church but we are very casual there.

I bought him nice khaki pants and new nicer jeans once and he didn't like them. So I took them back. He had nice docker shorts that weren't for work but eventually they got mixed in with the work pile and got messed up also.

I guess I should be happy he at least showers once a day and shaves a couple times a week and I cut his hair once a month. He's definitely just into comfort and ease. He does tuck in his tshirts and puts on a belt. sigh...

I try not to complain. But there are just some times I wish he'd make a little effort. Am I not worth it any more?

Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
Why, oh why, do so many of you think that the way your partner dresses has anything to do with how you are valued or or whether they love or respect you or ANYTHING?!
Geeze..they are just clothes. Are you so enmeshed with the other that you cannot let that person just be an individual and then you be your own individual?
I, for one, would feel mighty suffocated in a marriage/union like some described.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 AM

5,422 posts, read 3,440,673 times
I would say because if something bothers your spouse and your spouse finds something objectionable, to change at least somewhat or ameliorate or compromise if possible what bothers the spouse is the caring, attentive, responsive thing to do.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-22-2017 at 02:02 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 02:12 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
How about respecting individual differences, allowing autonomy? Not dictating to another how they should dress or wear their hair? I say, ''Get over it''.
If they take up a hobby like raising pet skunks or refuse to help with running the household or eat up all the food and leave none for anyone else, well that's one thing. It does affect others.
But dressing differently than your expectations and you getting so bent out of shape over it is just plain superficial and somewhat controlling, to put it mildly.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 01-22-2017 at 03:24 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 AM

5,422 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Being an embarrassment to one's spouse is not really good for a partnership or marriage. Nor is being an embarrassment necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement