U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Backwoods of Maine
7,110 posts, read 8,147,355 times
Reputation: 18743

Advertisements

We have two grown daughters...when Christmas, Father's Day or my birthday roll around, it's clothes, clothes, and more clothes. Sometimes I get something useful, like tools, but I usually have to mention what I'd like. I had so many new clothes that I pawned off a bunch of them on my brother, who is mostly my size.

These clothes I get are usually too expensive or pretty, and I don't want to ruin them. Women don't understand this. I spent 35 years working on and driving trucks, doing dirty work. I built the house we live in now. I'm the one who cleans out the chicken coops, maintains the cars and trucks, and hops into the plow when it just snowed 3 feet, usually with the dogs or a passel of grandchildren.

I wear Carhartt. Now there's a company that understands the American male. I'm also comfortable in T-shirts, hoodies, flannels, jeans, and rubber boots. I also wear hiker boots, nothing expensive or fancy. I shower regularly, and get my hair cut when it needs it. I told the family not to buy me any more gifts. I've got enough.

When I go to the lawyer's, he's more interested in whether the paperwork is filled out right, and I have sufficient funds. It is, and I do. When I see the doctor, he's more interested in my heath. Neither sems to give a damn what I wear.

The one thing in life I have is a wonderful woman for a wife who leaves me alone and doesn't complain. At least, not about me. If I wear the same pants for a week at a time, she just washes them. If I have a closet of new clothes with the tags still on them, she might donate a few. Fine with me.

I know my success in life is a result of marrying the right woman!

 
Old 01-22-2017, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Reputation: 16141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Maybe you live on the East Coast where people dress up more? I can't imagine having to dress up to go to the doctor. I can't remember other people doing it either. Nobody dresses up much here. Men don't wear suits. I had to throw out all my fancy work clothes when I moved here in the 80's. I was kind of sad about that, but I looked way out of place.
I do live on the east coast but in a rural area where flannel shirts and pickups are the norm. As I said I dress like the OP's husband all the time, but I know enough not to dress like this to the doctor's office. I don't consider changing out of his described outfit to something a bit more than an open flannel shirt and beater shoes to be "dressing up", not even close.

Having worn both I can say that a pullover and newer shoes are no less confortable than what this husband is wearing. This isn't about comfort, it's about being lazy. And no thrrowing out his worn clothes without his consent is not the answer, can't believe that was even suggested.
 
Old 01-22-2017, 05:47 AM
 
6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Reputation: 12710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I do live on the east coast but in a rural area where flannel shirts and pickups are the norm. As I said I dress like the OP's husband all the time, but I know enough not to dress like this to the doctor's office. I don't consider changing out of his described outfit to something a bit more than an open flannel shirt and beater shoes to be "dressing up", not even close.

Having worn both I can say that a pullover and newer shoes are no less confortable than what this husband is wearing. This isn't about comfort, it's about being lazy. And no thrrowing out his worn clothes without his consent is not the answer, can't believe that was even suggested.
First I would disagree about this issue revolving about being lazy. I am a very active person with lots of interests, hobbies, but I have no interest in clothing styles and fashions.


I go to the doctor's office in my Khaki pants or shorts and my pocket T shirts. If it is cold I might even wear a flannel shirt over the Tee. I cannot understand anyone who dresses up to go to a doctor's office. Would you judge the doctor by what he/she is wearing? Sadly, I guess a lot of people do. Not me. They can wear jeans, or scrubs or a pretend white coat. I don't care. Before even trying out the first visit, I look to see the med schools they attended, the residencies and advanced studies. I go by recommendations from other doctors and knowledgeable health care providers. My family doc is great. He does wear old worn boat shoes that definitely quality as beaters. I guess they are comfortable for someone who is on their feet all day.


Lastly I wonder about how you "know" what to wear to a doctor's office. Is there some manual or written agreement on this? I definitely go with the Tee or Polo because there is no sleeve to get in the way when it is time for a blood pressure check, or an injection, or having blood drawn. I am not sure how you do that in a pullover. Actually I don't even know what a pullover is. All I can think of is a sweatshirt without a zipper and I don't own or want one.
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Idaho
1,451 posts, read 1,153,086 times
Reputation: 5472
I very much doubt that anyone at a doctor office pays attention to what the patients wear. The receptionist typically only looks up for few minutes to hand you the sign in board or forms. The nurse spends few minutes to lead you to your room. The doctor usually sees a patient sans shoes in a gown!

Except for routine physical exam or a checkup, people go to the doctor office because they are ill or have concerns about their health. They are either physically unwell or have a lot of things in their mind to worry whether they are properly attired or LOOKED properly attired to their accompanying spouse, the office workers or the doctor.

It's just my opinion but I think it is wrong to think that your spouse is UNCARING if he/she does not ALWAYS dress the way you want him/her to dress. For the OP's case, her husband (like most husbands that I know) do dress appropriately (or agree to change to proper attire) when going out with her. To insist that your spouse have to REMEMBER to dress the way you want him/her to dress does seem controlling.

IMO, it seems quite judgmental to equate not paying attention to clothing to being lazy. If anything a casually dressed person could be too busy with more important thing like taking care of the house, yardwork or have more important things in their mind (health, finance, engineering/work/world problems etc.) than worrying about how they look!

Last edited by BellaDL; 01-22-2017 at 09:02 AM..
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:08 AM
 
71,469 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Reputation: 49027
never forget that if your man dressed better or looked better he may not have been your man . those other women that were out of his league may have then been in his league .

men-the reverse is true too , so be happy with what you got .
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Reputation: 16141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
First I would disagree about this issue revolving about being lazy. I am a very active person with lots of interests, hobbies, but I have no interest in clothing styles and fashions.


I go to the doctor's office in my Khaki pants or shorts and my pocket T shirts. If it is cold I might even wear a flannel shirt over the Tee. I cannot understand anyone who dresses up to go to a doctor's office. Would you judge the doctor by what he/she is wearing? Sadly, I guess a lot of people do. Not me. They can wear jeans, or scrubs or a pretend white coat. I don't care. Before even trying out the first visit, I look to see the med schools they attended, the residencies and advanced studies. I go by recommendations from other doctors and knowledgeable health care providers. My family doc is great. He does wear old worn boat shoes that definitely quality as beaters. I guess they are comfortable for someone who is on their feet all day.


Lastly I wonder about how you "know" what to wear to a doctor's office. Is there some manual or written agreement on this? I definitely go with the Tee or Polo because there is no sleeve to get in the way when it is time for a blood pressure check, or an injection, or having blood drawn. I am not sure how you do that in a pullover. Actually I don't even know what a pullover is. All I can think of is a sweatshirt without a zipper and I don't own or want one.
And I would go to the doctors office dressed as you described as well. As I said I do not consider this "dressing up" and it has nothing to do with "fashion". The point is the OP's husband was not dressing in khaki pants or shorts and a tee shirt. No he was dressed in an old, worn, open flannel and ratty shoes. That is simply not the same as khakis and a tee shirt, not even close. He was simply too lazy to bother to change out of ratty shoes and an open beat up old flannel shirt into something closer to what you described. This has nothing to do with fashion or trying to impress the doctor, it has everything to with his lazy "I don't care" attitude.

Most would scold their 14 year old son for going to the doctor in a beat up old shirt, worn baseball hat on backwards, crappy torn shoes etc. Why does he get a pass just because he is older?

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-22-2017 at 08:49 AM..
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:43 AM
 
71,469 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Reputation: 49027
if it was up to me i would still be wearing my bell bottoms and huckapoo shirts .
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 AM
 
6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Reputation: 12710
I don't think I ever really learned much about what the Op's husband actually wears. Mostly I learned the Op is unhappy and wants to complain to the internet world. As she explained she was looking for a sympathetic ear from others with the same issue. Beyond the clothing it seems the biggest issue was a key ring that made noise. If that was the big issue it only makes me wonder more about the actual condition of the clothing. I suspect each of us could observe the Op's husband and come to different conclusions. Some who see someone dressed comfortably. Others would see someone who is lazy or who does not understand about the rules of society and the unwritten dress codes.
 
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 AM
 
6,744 posts, read 3,854,200 times
Reputation: 15441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I do live on the east coast but in a rural area where flannel shirts and pickups are the norm. As I said I dress like the OP's husband all the time, but I know enough not to dress like this to the doctor's office. I don't consider changing out of his described outfit to something a bit more than an open flannel shirt and beater shoes to be "dressing up", not even close.

Having worn both I can say that a pullover and newer shoes are no less confortable than what this husband is wearing. This isn't about comfort, it's about being lazy. And no thrrowing out his worn clothes without his consent is not the answer, can't believe that was even suggested.

^^^ This. There is a lot of exaggeration on this thread.
 
Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Reputation: 16141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't think I ever really learned much about what the Op's husband actually wears. Mostly I learned the Op is unhappy and wants to complain to the internet world. As she explained she was looking for a sympathetic ear from others with the same issue. Beyond the clothing it seems the biggest issue was a key ring that made noise. If that was the big issue it only makes me wonder more about the actual condition of the clothing. I suspect each of us could observe the Op's husband and come to different conclusions. Some who see someone dressed comfortably. Others would see someone who is lazy or who does not understand about the rules of society and the unwritten dress codes.
She gave a pretty clear description of the clothes at issue in the opening post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top