U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 01:09 PM

8,306 posts, read 11,156,290 times

Advertisements

Leave him alone! At least other women won't be after him for his $$.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:16 PM

6,887 posts, read 3,898,755 times
I'm beginning to understand why so many people in Europe and Asia think Americans look like slobs. I wonder when it was that casual dress became the same as yard work and house cleaning dress. I guess it's been gradual. And I know, I know, "Who cares what they think in Europe and Asia", for those who want to zero in on that.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:43 PM

6,364 posts, read 5,094,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I'm beginning to understand why so many people in Europe and Asia think Americans look like slobs. I wonder when it was that casual dress became the same as yard work and house cleaning dress. I guess it's been gradual. And I know, I know, "Who cares what they think in Europe and Asia", for those who want to zero in on that.
I remember when I was stationed in Italy and would go out with my friends. Always wanted to ask if they owned anything else but NFL insignia clothing - lol.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,046,632 times
One question.

If someone posted the following:

MY WIFE DRESSES LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON

Do you think that the responses would be the same?

Old 01-22-2017, 02:32 PM

45 posts, read 45,485 times
It sounds like the way everyone dresses here in my little town. Lots of retirees, and rain. If anyone dressed better they would stand out. We've gotten very very casual over the years. I often think of going to Macy's for something new, and then wonder where I'd ever wear it. Lol

Old 01-22-2017, 02:33 PM

6,364 posts, read 5,094,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
One question.

The response has been 50/50, so yes.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:41 PM

10,497 posts, read 5,959,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Sounds like an opportunity to teach the girls:
-- that how you dress is NOT WHO you ARE
-- that your own personal self esteem shouldn't ned to be tied to how you dress
-- how to respond if there ever IS a situation where they feel they were misjudged, or PREjudged, in a given situation -- because of dress or anything else.
-- that unless a person is your boss or interviewing you for a job -- that perhaps you shouldn't give a darn about what they think about you. ARE there times when the social pressure of dressing a certain way for a certain situation is expected sure….but so what if the person isn't dress "correctly?" Are you going to kick them out of church? (That's not very Christian is it?) Can't get into a given restaurant, then go to another. What does it say about a person that they judge another by how they dress? Besides that -- occasions where you really MUST dress a certain way are sooo few and far between these days it ALMOST really doesn't even matter anymore. I know there are people who hate that that is happening in society. But it's not new.

I'm a woman and dress in a basic T-shirt and baggy jeans. IF I were to feel maltreated in a store because of dress or any other reason, I'd have no problem calmly asking for the manager, taking him or her to the side, and privately explaining my thoughts on the situation. In more than 40 years of adult living I've never had to do that.

Some people get their self esteem -- in part -- from how they dress, and it's so ingrained and subtle they don't even know it. They would swear up and down it's not so.

I'll be honest I only dress nicely when I want something and when it's in it for ME to get something out of the situation. Going to court? Sure. Meeting an attorney or doctor for the FIRST time? Sure. I want to establish the right professional relationship. After that back to dressing down. But just walking the street everyday? I am conformable in baggy jeans and T-shirt. In 99% of daily living why would I give a rat's behind about what someone thinks about how I look? I know what's in my bank and retirement accountS. And it's a lot more than many people dressing better than I do.

Embarrassed? My mom always told me: "No one ever died from a little embarrassment. You'll live."
So let's flip the script. Are you saying it would be perfectly fine if the OP's teenage daughters dressed like prostitutes with leather and whips as they went out to dinner with the new neighbors? I mean seeing as we should not be judged by how we dress and all you seem to think that would be perfectly acceptable. We'll just call it a "learning experience" for the girls. Or does that rule of appropriate dress only apply to teens and not old guys?

If those girls walked into that restaurant dressed as sluts how can you possibly say people would not judge them? They would and they should be judged and so would the parents. Now this is obviously an extreme example but I am challenging your contention that we should not be judged by how we dress. That's nonsense, in many cases how we dress is an exact reflection of who we are. This applies to the slutty 25 year old woman, the rocker in all black and long hair, the lawyer in a $1,000 suit and yes an old guy in ratty shoes and an old flannel shirt.

Again I am no snob about clothing but some of the comments here are just so bizarre to me

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-22-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 03:19 PM

6,887 posts, read 3,898,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
One question.

There have been similar threads about wives "letting themselves go" and men were quite sympathetic with the complaining husband if I remember correctly,

Old 01-22-2017, 03:29 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,468,547 times
Harpaint at post #212, I agree with your statement and I'm glad you mentioned that. I've been thinking the same thing throughout the entire thread. Europeans and Asians can easily pick out Americans because the people who look like slobs are almost always Americans. And they correctly see many Americans as slobs.

You state it well. And stating that casual dress has turned into dress one would wear to clean out the basement or do grungy work is right.

DaveinMtAiry at #217, I agree that so many of the comments are bizarre. I've been thinking that throughout the entire thread too.

I also completely disagree with selhars who states the following and everything else in her post:

"Sounds like an opportunity to teach the girls:
-- that how you dress is NOT WHO you ARE
-- that your own personal self esteem shouldn't ned to be tied to how you dress"

How one dresses is who you are. It presents to those closest to you and to the world who you are.

I disagree that dressing like a homeless person or as a slob or in crummy clothes when a better look would be advantageous to one's marriage or partnership or for a particular situation is a matter of 'priorities' rather than laziness. It's often laziness. It can also be indicative of internal mental state.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-22-2017 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 04:15 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,774,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

How one dresses is who you are. It presents to those closest to you and to the world who you are.

I certainly disagree. If your opinion of people starts and stops at clothing, then I have learned more about you than clothing would ever tell me.

Who am I? A thinking being, a person with accomplishments, knowledge and abilities. A person who is striving to accomplish and learn and improve my abilities. A person who loves music and art and excellence of all sorts. A person who dislikes vanity and shallow pretense. A person who has no respect for those who lead lives with minimal reason and maximum reliance on cultural or religious beliefs. None of this has anything to do with clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement