U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 PM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You are equating old everyday type clothing with dressing like prostitutes?
It has been years since the last time that I lived in a place that even had hookers.

As I recall, they did not wear old clothing. Instead what they were wearing has new and designed for that purpose.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:53 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times
The point could be (as part of DaveatMtAiry's post) that many young women in the U.S. have been dressing like prostitutes and/or in a heavily sex-oriented way for the past 5 years or more - as their normal attire or to go dancing or most anywhere - it's been a strong trend and reality to wear revealing and sex-ed up clothing - among teenagers and women in their 20's and beyond.

Dropping the examples used of whips and chains in DaveinMrAiry's post, the point makes sense.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:58 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
Ha ha ha! There are surely a lot of ''pre-dementia'' folks running around the countryside around here then! Me included.
I am so glad that neither I nor my other half ever cared a wit about what each other wore and neither of us gives a hoot about what anyone else thinks or expects now.
It is totally freeing and a whole lot of fun to just be ourselves! If somebody doesn't like what I wear at my age, then that's too bad. Let them move along.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 PM

783 posts, read 536,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I'm beginning to understand why so many people in Europe and Asia think Americans look like slobs. I wonder when it was that casual dress became the same as yard work and house cleaning dress. I guess it's been gradual. And I know, I know, "Who cares what they think in Europe and Asia", for those who want to zero in on that.
Sadly, I say this from experience. But I would bet that there is a strong correlation between America's growing sloppiness and the obesity epidemic. And with the food we eat, many people gain weight in their stomach. It is very hard to find fashionable clothes, let alone even semi comfortable, with this physique. So you just give up and go for the big drapey t shirt or polo and big stretchy pant , or some kind of mumu drapey dress. Sad, but true.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:08 PM

783 posts, read 536,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So you used to like shopping, now you don't, but you do it anyway because "society" expects that.

What society are you looking to follow: the Joneses? Members of a country club? A Church or other social group? The Hells Angels motorcycle club?
Yes, because society does expect that- at least the society I have to participate in to make a living. I work at a large corporation and it would be a seriously career limiting move if I did not dress a certain way. And while I am not thrilled about it, I accept that is the way it is in the career in which I chose to make a living.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:36 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,289,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
He is 77 year old retired Electrical Engineer with 2 degrees and a successful career under his belt. Today he left for a doctor's appointment in old baggy-butted jeans, a black tee shirt and an old flannel shirt unbuttoned over it. Ratty old tennis shoes too and a stocking cap. But the worst part is he wears his key ring on his belt and it hangs down and makes noise with so many keys on it. He looks like a janitor or a building super.

He has nice khakis, button-down shirts, jackets and sweaters and better shoes in his closet but he only wears them when I am going out with him and ask him to "clean up" a little bit.

He showers daily, has regular haircuts and gets his beard nicely trimmed and he has acknowledged he gets better treatment in shops and restaurants when he is dressed better but he just doesn't seem to care enough to present himself better...unless I gently remind him.

Also he really didn't have to wear a suit or even a tie for quite some time while he was still working so it's not like he is rebelling.

I'm no fashion plate but at least I try to wear something better than knock-around-the-house clothes when I go out.

Now I hear some saying "Leave the man alone. He's not hurting anybody" but I think he is hurting himself even if he doesn't realize it. I realize he is not going to change but I am wondering if other women are having the same issue with their elderly husbands.
This is funny! I'm 51 and an engineer, when not in the office I wear my beat up clothes. I care not a whit what others think or what I look like when not in the office. He's an engineer, these quirks go with the big brain!!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,289,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not trim my beard. I shampoo it. I oil it, and every 6 weeks I dye it [I am not ready for grey]. But I do not trim it.

I like my beard. I have worn a full beard for the majority of my adult life. I am comfortable with a full beard. I wore a full beard at my wedding in 1981, wearing my dress blues [cracker jacks]. All of the men in our wedding party were sailors and we all wore beards in our dress uniforms. At my 20-year retirement ceremony I wore a full beard

I do not see a beard as a sign of laziness.

I had to trim my beard down to US Navy Regs this summer, so I could attend a ceremony in my dress uniform. Now I am growing it out again. Hopefully it should reach my nipples again by mid-summer.

I have found that when I make trips into the city, that once or twice a year strangers [females] will approach me and ask if they can touch my beard, and it is clearly something sexual triggered in them.

My Dw does not wear makeup. Nor does she mess with her brows. She knows who she is and she does not need to prove anything to anyone.

Some people are beautiful and know it and have the self-confidence that others lack.
Amen! I never understood the eyebrow thing with women, I love a nice, natural eyebrow. Now a unibrow is another thing...

Old 01-22-2017, 08:02 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,833,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
The point is that they can both give a less than positive impression, an impression which may not be correct. At least that's what I got from the post. I think it was expressed clearly enough that almost everyone understood it.
I understood what that poster was trying to do, using hyperbole to superficially boost his argument.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:09 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,307,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Yes, because society does expect that- at least the society I have to participate in to make a living. I work at a large corporation and it would be a seriously career limiting move if I did not dress a certain way. And while I am not thrilled about it, I accept that is the way it is in the career in which I chose to make a living.
That really doesn't have anything to do with how people dress when retired. There is no more career to think about.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,833,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not trim my beard. I shampoo it. I oil it, and every 6 weeks I dye it [I am not ready for grey]. But I do not trim it.

I like my beard. I have worn a full beard for the majority of my adult life. I am comfortable with a full beard. I wore a full beard at my wedding in 1981, wearing my dress blues [cracker jacks]. All of the men in our wedding party were sailors and we all wore beards in our dress uniforms. At my 20-year retirement ceremony I wore a full beard

I do not see a beard as a sign of laziness.

I had to trim my beard down to US Navy Regs this summer, so I could attend a ceremony in my dress uniform. Now I am growing it out again. Hopefully it should reach my nipples again by mid-summer.

I have found that when I make trips into the city, that once or twice a year strangers [females] will approach me and ask if they can touch my beard, and it is clearly something sexual triggered in them.

My Dw does not wear makeup. Nor does she mess with her brows. She knows who she is and she does not need to prove anything to anyone.

Some people are beautiful and know it and have the self-confidence that others lack.
If you take care of your beard, you will not look like a homeless person, either, unless you negate the beard care with lack of care for the rest of you. Wearing clean old clothes does not fall into "lack of care", other than not caring about being judged by clothing type.

If, OTOH, a nest of blackbirds sets up shop in your beard, or you routinely fail to clear food bits out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement