U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,589,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
And Electrical Engineers, and Chemical Engineers, and Nuclear Physicists, and ...

Yes! This part is fascinating to me, because I'm recognizing many of my thought patterns are similar, though I'm not an engineer. But I seemingly can understand them.

This thread is a gem and I hope it doesn't go off the rails.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 AM

5,458 posts, read 2,846,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
And Electrical Engineers, and Chemical Engineers, and Nuclear Physicists, and ...

And other scientists, and artists, and musicians, and... most of whom tend to place higher priorities on things other than dress style, except where a code is expected.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:56 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,899 times
That makes sense for me too. I am a recumbent bicycle and scooter rider too and most of them seem to be engineers. I have also realized later in life that I am an artist and have a very scientific bent mind, so makes sense again. Too bad for me I picked the wrong major 40 years ago...I could have had a more fun and interesting wok life too. But then ''que sera''...

Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM

10,138 posts, read 12,400,312 times
When I retire I will wear the same things all the time.

Summer give me a pair of khaki shorts, a sport shirt and tennis shoes with white socks. That's it, that is what I want to wear every day all the time except for church and special occasions like weddings and some parties.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,039,757 times
This morning I went to mail something in the blue mailbox at the general store, a 10 mile RT across open range. Given what I read in this thread, I considered dressing up in town clothes for this errand, so as not to offend the cowboys, Indians, bikers, etc. who might be at the store.
Decided just to leave on my old jeans and warm gray LL Bean men's sweatshirt.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM

5,038 posts, read 3,225,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
He is 77 year old retired Electrical Engineer with 2 degrees and a successful career under his belt. Today he left for a doctor's appointment in old baggy-butted jeans, a black tee shirt and an old flannel shirt unbuttoned over it. Ratty old tennis shoes too and a stocking cap. But the worst part is he wears his key ring on his belt and it hangs down and makes noise with so many keys on it. He looks like a janitor or a building super.

I'm no fashion plate but at least I try to wear something better than knock-around-the-house clothes when I go out.

Now I hear some saying "Leave the man alone. He's not hurting anybody" but I think he is hurting himself even if he doesn't realize it. I realize he is not going to change but I am wondering if other women are having the same issue with their elderly husbands.
Most people intent on mugging your husband won't bother as he'd look to be 2 steps from the poor house.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:04 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,421,262 times
Many, many years ago my DH was tasked with taking one of our kids to the allergist every Saturday for an allergy shot. I was working part time then, on almost all Saturdays. He skipped a couple of weeks and then brought the kid in and he told me he got royally bawled out by the doc for skipping the weeks. I told him that if he dressed like the competent guy he was, he would not have gotten bawled out. The doc would have treated him differently. I told him he needed to shave, for one thing, and he needed to lose the gimme ball cap and the old shirts he was wearing.

Later, I asked him if the doc was treating him better, and he said "yes." I don't know more details. But I do think how you present yourself affects how others treat you. Of course back then, people were not as casual as they are today. But if my DH looked like a homeless guy as he was leaving the house, especially if he was leaving the house with me, I'd complain. But luckily, he is better at this than he was then.

It has been a journey.

If DH would complain about something I was wearing, I'd pay attention. I think one's spouse or partner should express opinions about this, but not too often.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 PM

187 posts, read 330,619 times
Not dressing well could also be a sign of depression .

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM

71,769 posts, read 71,875,234 times
perhaps she can put her husband on tv and folks will send money to him instead of all those starving kids . .

Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 PM

30,693 posts, read 49,488,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If you take care of your beard, you will not look like a homeless person, either, unless you negate the beard care with lack of care for the rest of you. Wearing clean old clothes does not fall into "lack of care", other than not caring about being judged by clothing type.

If, OTOH, a nest of blackbirds sets up shop in your beard, or you routinely fail to clear food bits out...
As a retired Electrical Engineer I reinvented myself in my retirement to become an organic farmer living off-grid out 'in the woods'. I serve on the boards of a couple Ag, Conservation and Sustainability types of agencies. Most of my face-to-face interaction with strangers is as a vendor in a Farmer's Market.

I certainly do understand that I am judged by appearance. I mostly wear farm clothes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement