U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:24 PM

6,267 posts, read 4,740,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
......... But with traditional sweats, or Nike sport sweats, I will wear them to most everyday store without hesitation.....................

Aren't you one of those on this thread who keeps talking about the need to dress appropriately?

Yup, I checked some for your threads.

I have been pushing for more relaxed and informal. Even so, no way would I want to wear sweats anywhere but the gym. In fact I don't own any.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:29 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
My bh wears his jeans etc until I
nag him to change
And lay them out

Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM

18,564 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Honestly, I've found that a lot of people who are well-off and well-situated are the ones who are less concerned about appearances. Don't need to impress anyone, I guess.
I think that's sometimes true but if you don't have to impress the opposite sex or others in a work environment, why continue the game of 'dress for success?' I'm in my last year of working so I still have to wear a coat and tie to work normally but I hate doing it.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:25 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,774,658 times
Seriously? I went to work wearing jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt today. Should someone call my boss? Oh wait...I am the boss. Later this week, I'll be wearing that with a hoodie since it will be cold. Who cares how he dresses? He's comfortable. They're his butt saggy pants and t-shirt. I don't understand the problem. It could be far worse......once my grandfather was roaming the city where he lived in a yellow speedo and nothing else.......he was in the early stages of dementia we discovered. Pick your battles....this is so not something worth worrying about.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:30 PM

6,974 posts, read 3,875,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
That makes sense for me too. I am a recumbent bicycle and scooter rider too and most of them seem to be engineers. I have also realized later in life that I am an artist and have a very scientific bent mind, so makes sense again. Too bad for me I picked the wrong major 40 years ago...I could have had a more fun and interesting wok life too. But then ''que sera''...
It's never too late to buy a wok and reinvent your culinary life!

Old 01-23-2017, 10:37 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,511,151 times
Ha, ha! Good catch, podner! Woks fer me...LOL

Old 01-24-2017, 03:30 AM

10,465 posts, read 5,935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I just realized something rather funny. Our 35-year-old Ph.D. son is a college professor (Theoretical Physics) working overseas. He comes home every 6 months and usually for 10 days to two weeks. He can wear DH's clothes and packs very few items of clothing so he doesn't have to check anything. But sometimes he comes directly from a conference and he shows up in equally ratty clothes!

Well not jeans and flannel but in pants with frayed hems, no creases, wrinkled jacket (polyester), wrinkled shirt. The wrinkles I can understand since he's traveling 36 hours or so but frayed hems???

Before his Christmas trip home he called and asked me to find out how long it would take to get his shirts fitted and a new suit tailored. I was ecstatic as I figured he had turned over a new leaf. He wanted something more presentable than what he had. However by the time he got here his enthusiasm for better clothes waned and he was perfectly happy to wear and take back with him his Dad's good clothes (since Dad rarely wears them ). His Dad is always ragging on him to dress better especially since son is basically starting off in his career. When I pointed out to DH how it upsets him to see what Professor No Kudzu, Jr. wears, he says "But I'm retired and he is just starting off." I understand but the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

So DH is very much aware of how appearance can make a difference in how he is perceived. I guess at this stage he just doesn't care too much. However, I will give him credit for wearing khakis and a nice button down collar shirt this morning when we met with the construction foreman for our meeting going over what we want in our new home we are building. And even this construction guy was dressed in khakis and a nice shirt. (I would have expected and understood if he was in "ratty" clothes but he was not.)
I am really appreciating all the comments on this thread. I think I hit a few nerves!
Thanks so much for coming back and offering your input. As one of the more vocal critics of his dress I was worried that my comments, which used the words lazy and selfish, were hurtful. I was refering to this one particular situation, not meant as a blanket statement of your husband. But I stand by them. He put on a pair of khakis to meet a contractor, is that so hard?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,740,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
T..........He put on a pair of khakis to meet a contractor, is that so hard?
So we need to dress up to meet the expectations of someone who is going to do some construction work for us? Should we also worry about what we wear for a plumber, or the lawn moving service, perhaps the mailman? I guess we can leave out the mailman since I understand sweats are fine for a visit to the post office.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,539,424 times
A lot of hits on this thread. I'm probably somewhat like your husband, and my older brother too to some extent. Only dress in nice clothes when going out....for me, I wear my work pants and a sweatshirt / T-shirt, sometimes stained but clean, simply because I'm always going to get into some home project and well ruin good clothes. We'll run errands and as soon as I hit the driveway, I'm already getting ideas of servicing some piece of equipment, mowing, raking, shoveling, splitting or cutting firewood, and I'm not about to go inside and change, so best I dress for work.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:21 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So we need to dress up to meet the expectations of someone who is going to do some construction work for us? Should we also worry about what we wear for a plumber, or the lawn moving service, perhaps the mailman? I guess we can leave out the mailman since I understand sweats are fine for a visit to the post office.
He's not simply "going to do some construction work for us". He is going to build our home. Big difference. This was our first "talking in depth" meeting and we knew it would take 2 or more hours. It was our first time to make a good impression in that we wanted him to know he was dealing with people who knew what they wanted, had the money to pay for it and expected quality. At the end of the meeting he said how much he appreciated all the preliminary work and decisions we had already made. DH showed up with electrical drawings and entire floor plan with all the changes and additions this kind of home has. We also had a detailed typed list of questions, measurements, and specifications. After the meeting DH took me out to a very nice restaurant for lunch.

I'm sure subsequent meetings will be much more casual. That is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement