U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times

Advertisements

I always wonder why someone would post something like this.

Looking for advice and help with a situation? That never seems to be the case.
Looking for sympathy and agreement? Don't know. Getting either from an internet forum seems kinda sad.
Just venting? Again, I am just guessing.
Telling a story to help out the rest of the world? Doubtful.

Then I wonder why and how the rest of us get sucked in. We offer a different perspective, advice or ideas. There is rarely any sign that those efforts are appreciated. Usually there is just an argument instead.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:47 AM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Bored perhaps?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I always wonder why someone would post something like this.

Looking for advice and help with a situation? That never seems to be the case.
Looking for sympathy and agreement? Don't know. Getting either from an internet forum seems kinda sad.
Just venting? Again, I am just guessing.
Telling a story to help out the rest of the world? Doubtful.

Then I wonder why and how the rest of us get sucked in. We offer a different perspective, advice or ideas. There is rarely any sign that those efforts are appreciated. Usually there is just an argument instead.
Its just people chatting and talking. We do the same thing when we meet for breakfast several times a week. Someone brings up a "situation" and we give our ideas. There is usually backlash from the instigator and then things settle down. It seems to stand out more when it is posted and there for one to read over and over. Conversations like this IRL are easily forgotten.

Oh wait - we do later talk amongst ourselves about how XYZ is so crazy. LOL

Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why do some women believe it is right for them to micromanage the lives of others? At least two writers here have suggested the OP should just throw away some clothing items of the husband that they don't like - how would that be if the husbands of the world just arbitrarily threw away some of their wives' favorite outfits?
oh yea - I would never do that. Suggest maybe. But then maybe they know their spouses and that is how they have always operated.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:58 AM

He doesn't really sound that bad. At least he bathes.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 AM

10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have never understood women and their need to show off and preen. They complain but continue to shave their legs, pluck eyebrows, cinch it up, wear dresses in the middle of the winter, and in general behave without any semblance of sanity.

Then we can look at men. Wow! No sense of fashion, no idea of looking "good". Men wear absolutely ridiculous clothing as part of a work uniform. It starts with a "tie". This originally identified the regiment as a part of the English military tradition. We also adopted clothing suitable to living in a dank, English castle. Come on wool clothing in the middle of the summer, even in the 100 plus degree temps when I lived in Phoenix? How dumb can we get?

And you wonder why Mr No Kudzu no longer wants to keep up with this nonsense? Why do you?
I'm no slave to fashion that's for sure but I would not call a wife's embarrassment over her husband walking into appointments looking like a homeless person "nonsense". I think the OP has a very legitimate reason to be upset at this. I know I have been guilty of this when doing Saturday chores. My wife calls my attention to it and I correct the problem.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 AM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
oh yea - I would never do that. Suggest maybe. But then maybe they know their spouses and that is how they have always operated.
Actually I took the cues from my husband. He did throw some ragged clothes of mine away.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Its just people chatting and talking. ......
Thanks, but I really don't understand your explanation. Chatting and talking sounds like making noise for no purpose. When people talk, isn't there some meaning and purpose?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:50 AM

423 posts, read 231,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
.... I would not call a wife's embarrassment over her husband walking into appointments looking like a homeless person "nonsense". I think the OP has a very legitimate reason to be upset at this.
Agree 100%. Although her husband may not smell like a homeless person, he might as well since he looks like he should.

I know I am going to be virtually slapped for saying this but it is important for a person to be proud of man or woman they are in a relationship with. She was attracted to a man that took pride in his appearance; whether it be a suit or a nice pair of slacks and a pull over. But now here he is, not caring about his appearance and taking no pride in himself.

It's no different than a husband upset that is wife "let herself go" because she just doesn't care. So what does that say to the other spouse? That she doesn't care about him either.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 AM

2,165 posts, read 1,266,382 times
Well, as a life long engineer with exactly the same propensities, I can tell you that you all have pretty much missed the mark. The real answer is that it is not high enough on his "worth worrying about" list, so he auto pilots to what is comfortable. If you want him to wear nicer (but they still MUST be comfortable) clothes for appointments, etc, all you have to do is lay them out before hand. I have a closet of nice and comfortable clothes. My wife of over 20 years STILL can not understand why Inwear the same ratty jeans, sneakers and sweat or tee shirts all the time. Yes, they are the MOST comfortable, but that is not the reason. It really NEVER occurs to us to differentiate what must be worn when/where unless it is a defined habit. I wear pressed shirts and khakis every day to work. When I get home, I change out of them to jeans and a t-shirt plus a sweatshirt this time of year. The habit of what to wear is how we cope with the senseless "fashion" that we really could care less about. There is no "habit" for the occasional outing like a Dr appt, or casual lunch out, or going to a movie. As long as it's comfortable we will wear it. The problem is we will also wear nice clothes and end up doing yard work or working on a car in them. They are clothes. Unless they are impractical or expensive, which any engineer will react to, it doesn't occur to us that they could not be used just like other....clothes.

Also, every engineer I know likes to wear t shirts with sayings on them. My wife hates them, but has learned to accept that. Since the OP knows other engineers wives, I'm surprised she hasn't learned what it takes, but maybe its a non engineer woman thing. Accept it. At 77, he's not going to change. Heck, at 59, I'm not going to change. When my wife asks "How, after being married for over 20 years, have you not learned this?", I always answer "Exactly!" . Yet she still doesn't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement