U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 02:15 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,265,978 times

Advertisements

Plus a woman that hates to shop for clothes? Pretty rare.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:18 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,698,498 times
I had a friend that worked for a large department store's men's department. He told me that more "dressed down" his customers were the more money they probably had. He stressed treating all customers with respect. Guess some of that is lost today.

I would not worry about how he dresses.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:22 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,149,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Plus a woman that hates to shop for clothes? Pretty rare.
Not really.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM

3,758 posts, read 10,638,121 times
My father did much the same as he aged (after retirement). My mother (like the OP seems to be thinking) would say "You're not going out of the house like *That*" and my father would look at what he was wearing and say "What? It's clean...?".

My father was a scientist. Once he retired, all he cared about was comfort and function. He had numerous slacks, but unless it was an *event*; he just wore the same pairs of corduroys that had always been his "weekend" pants (he never got into khakis). Pair that with a button down flannel, or a sweatshirt, and he was set.

For the OP - I'm sure you're not the only spouse who's had these thoughts about their partners. But, I don't know what good it does. Mom never changed dad. Yes, she could harass him into changing his shirt, but I don't know what that accomplished.

As far as people treating him (OP's husband) better because he wore a different shirt.... If I was shopping or eating at a place that I thought was treating someone differently based upon the clothes they wore, I'd stop frequenting it.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not really.
You're right, women who hate to shop for clothes actually aren't rare at all.

I tend to buy from Costco, Amazon or mail order catalog, six or more items in an order Hunting down one garment at a time and running from store to store is an enormous waste of time.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooglePeep View Post
Did you read? husband brings clothes to her. Sound more than strange.
How is it different than women bringing clothes to men? Some people enjoy shopping more than others. Holds true for both men and women.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:44 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,265,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not really.
Well, it is typical enough that it is a common cliché. Right up there with women love shoes and chocolate, and men love steaks and fart too much. There are plenty of exceptions but the cliché has a basis in reality. Not all engineers & scientists are fashion disasters, but its true enough.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,374,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
He is 77 year old retired Electrical Engineer with 2 degrees and a successful career under his belt. Today he left for a doctor's appointment in old baggy-butted jeans, a black tee shirt and an old flannel shirt unbuttoned over it. Ratty old tennis shoes too and a stocking cap. But the worst part is he wears his key ring on his belt and it hangs down and makes noise with so many keys on it. He looks like a janitor or a building super.

He has nice khakis, button-down shirts, jackets and sweaters and better shoes in his closet but he only wears them when I am going out with him and ask him to "clean up" a little bit.

He showers daily, has regular haircuts and gets his beard nicely trimmed and he has acknowledged he gets better treatment in shops and restaurants when he is dressed better but he just doesn't seem to care enough to present himself better...unless I gently remind him.

Also he really didn't have to wear a suit or even a tie for quite some time while he was still working so it's not like he is rebelling.

I'm no fashion plate but at least I try to wear something better than knock-around-the-house clothes when I go out.

Now I hear some saying "Leave the man alone. He's not hurting anybody" but I think he is hurting himself even if he doesn't realize it. I realize he is not going to change but I am wondering if other women are having the same issue with their elderly husbands.
Engineers are known for dressing differently. During my working years, most of my friends and acquaintances were engineers. They all dressed similarly, to the point that I ask if they shopped at the local engineer clothing store.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooglePeep View Post
How? Because in real life it doesn't happen.
Apparently it does.

Quote:
Unless the guy is a control freak and likes to treat her like one of his kids, that's how.
And if a woman shops for her husband, or makes clothing suggestions, that's somehow different?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:53 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,679,865 times
At least he cleans up to go out with you.

My husband is the same way. He has to dress in a suit for work daily. But, most weekends he is in his clothes that he works in around the house.

And I also have to put the bug in his ear if we are going somewhere together on the weekend. And, he will put on clean decent clothes, but they are always casual.

I worry if it will get worse when he retires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement