U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 AM

6,312 posts, read 3,574,248 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a town of three-hundred and sixty people surrounded by cornfields. We not only knew all our neighbors, we knew everybody in town and their dawgs. We also knew who bit and who didn't.

Yes, I miss it. It was a very secure and safe place to grow up.

When we moved to this small city in 1977 our neighborhood was very close-knit. We had a lot of block parties and impromptu get-togethers with the neighbors. Then we had a period of time after the oldsters moved on when there were a lot of rentals, chaos and crime.

That changed with new, more permanent buyers coming in and we became acquainted again. Now people come and go more often but we are seeing more behavioral stability in the neighborhood. I only know the people on my block and no longer make the effort to get to know newcomers with the effort I used to. It was a lot easier when we still had children at home.

But the neighborhood does communicate together about issues and we keep an eye out for each other. We also have a neighborhood online forum.

The other day I read on the forum that a woman had been having kids ringing her doorbell and running after school. Her solution was to call the police! Shaking my head. Times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,037,929 times
When I was a kid we knew our neighbors even on occasion ate dinner at our house or theirs. We were not friends with all of them mind you, but now I live in a big city And I may nod in the hallway as I pass the ppl who live across the hall, but things are not the same as they use to be for sure. At least suburban/vs city.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
I have always known most of my neighbors everywhere I've lived, until now. Here, almost everyone has lived here for years, are retired, and they say hello or wave, but that's about it.

Really, as I've said in other threads regarding socialization, it's kind of a relief to be free of all the friends and activities.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,840,630 times
We had a wide range of friends and acquaintances where we lived for 27-years. However, 3-years after retiring, we decided to move closer to the kids/grandkids. After 5-years and quite a bit of church involvement, we have developed quite a few new friends - but, lost the history connection with long-time friends (although we are now closer to the grandkids).

Retirement offers opportunities for common-ground in volunteer activities, church etc.. However, many of the traditional connections (work place, kids/activities, school, team sports, etc) are often no longer part of the retirees daily interface with others. Also, as one grows older, one tends to get more settled with existing friends --- and less motivated to get out and create a new circle of friends. From various CD threads, I think many retirees overlook this issue when planning to move after retirement. We had moved to Florida many years ago and didn't plan to re-move, but "the call of the grandkids" is strong.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,521,893 times
Growing up we knew our farm neighbors quite well.
We worked together threshing oats, shredding corn, etc

We all ate in the neighbors' house when we worked together.

In 1978, I moved to a different farm about 10 miles away.
By then things had changed and farmers worked independently . I knew my neighbors by name but never was in any of their houses to visit and vice versa.

In 2012, I retired and relocated to a scenic community 870 miles away.
I talk with my closest neighbor and just say " hi" to my other neighbors if I am out on my walk.

Everything changed regarding neighbors( for me) in the late 60's.

Those bonds with my farm neighbors growing up were so strong that I asked 6 farm neighbors to be my dad's pall bearers in 1973. They immediately obliged .

Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
Story time!

Years ago I met a man who grew up in the 40's in rural North Dakota. He and his neighbors all raised sugar beets. They were neighborly because they had to be! He remembered the families getting together almost every week for dancing, listening to the radio, playing cards or having a BBQ. The kids all came along too and they would play and end up sleeping together in one bed or another while the adults continued their get together. Neighbors would drop in all the time and if someone was going to town, they would offer to pick up supplies for their neighbors. Everyone knew everyone.

In the mid 50's it all changed with the advent of television. You didn't just drop in on the neighbors anymore. It would be rude to interrupt their viewing. And the weekly get togethers dwindled away to a once in a while thing. They were all busy watching television. TV was their new window to the rest of the world but they lost something too. Their community.

Kind of a sad story but everything old is new again. Then it was TV. Today it's those darn phones! I wonder what it will be next. Teleporting?

I live in Las Vegas. I do know most of my neighbors. We are neighborly and do stuff like pick up trash cans or collect mail when we are asked to. We wave when we drive by and if someone needed help, I would. But we aren't really friends, just neighbors. And that's OK with me!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:34 AM

18,829 posts, read 4,942,909 times
Know 2 pretty well, one slightly and one is new...we all live on lots over an acre.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:38 PM

530 posts, read 537,963 times
Most of our neighbors, I know well-enough to wave to and say "Hi" ... in English or in Spanish!
The neighborhood has turned to mostly "renters", with only a few of us actually being "owners". Regardless of what their 'status' is, I try to say "Hi" to everyone. But, that's about as far as it goes. I'm sort-of like "A Stranger in a Strange Land" here, in the NorCal / Bay area; or better-yet: "A Fish Out of Water" ...

"You can take the Boy outta th' Country - But you can't take th' Country outta th' Boy" ...

Old 01-20-2017, 07:08 PM

895 posts, read 543,035 times
I was born in 1953 and we knew everyone in the neighborhood. I grew up in Torrance, CA and it was a tight knit community . Growing up in the 50's & 60's was a great time actually for me. Again, we knew everyone because the kids all went to same elementary school -

Today, I only know about 5-6 of my neighbors on our block. Everyone is very kind. Neighbors on both sides of us are from other countries - Colombia and Mexico however they have been here for many years. Others are Palestinians but born here. Parents are from Palestine. They are not friendly towards us however. Not sure why -

I miss the closeness of our neighbors in Torrance where I grew up. I miss it.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:54 PM

14,033 posts, read 20,343,555 times
We know more now in our current neighborhood than we have ever known.
It is great.
This helps

all our neighbors stop by to chat and drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or