U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:41 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,543,648 times

Advertisements

As a young girl, I knew every neighbor up and down my street and many on the side streets.

Moving here when it was a new home, I used to know everyone on the street and some in the back who bordered the house. Now, I know very few of my neighbors, and some cannot even speak English or any European language which I might know, so there's not much conversation.

Times have really changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 10:43 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,327,768 times
I live on a private gated street, a total of five homes. We all built our homes in the mid-1970's and are still the original owners. Glad to say we are all a pretty tight-knit group.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:04 AM

5,774 posts, read 4,830,089 times
We know all of our neighbors. We have get togethers at least once a year, sometimes it is to discuss events relevant to our street, other times it's just a wine/cheese thing for the heck of it. We have a list of all the people on our street with their phone numbers and e-mail. We also have a sheltering plan for tornado warnings for those with basements to shelter those without basements. We take in each others mail when we go away. We water houseplants, feed the fish and cat, etc. We trust them to watch out for us and vice versa. We have an annual BBQ /pot luck "block party" with the greater area of about 3 streets and 3 cul de sacs.

On our street we have one guy who is the ranger for the golf course, one who is the local party DJ, one who is the neighborhood "activist" campaigning for/against various changes in the neighborhood, one who is a retired big-wig and who likes to run any meetings we have, one plays pickleball with DH on a semi-regular basis. We always stop to talk or wave if we're driving by and see them out. I've always gotten to know at least the next door neighbors and across the street everywhere I've lived. It makes things go more smoothly if you have friendly relationships.

Last edited by TheShadow; 01-21-2017 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Back when I lived in Portland, up until ten or so years ago my neighborhood was a friendly one with people of all ages. In my small apartment building of eleven units just about every age was represented from those in their twenties to those in their seventies and in between. We got together and had community yard sales and backyard picnics. Everyone was friendly. This was true all up and down the block. Homeowners would throw block parties in the summertime and take turns sprucing up the neighborhood.

Then all that changed after the neighborhood became gentrified. New monster apartment buildings went up. Hundreds of young people move to the area. My apartment complex became inhabited by young twenty somethings who wouldn't even talk to their next door neighbors let alone look at them. My 82 year old friend who is the last older person in the building tells me she no longer knows everyone in the building. She's a friendly person so that bothers her.

Where I live now is a world of difference. It's a senior complex. Since I moved here in June I am getting to know people. My neighbor across the hall and I are becoming friends. The rest of my area in Lakewood, a suburb that borders Cleveland, I find to be very friendly. People smile and say "Hi" when you pass them on the street. It's just like Portland used to be.

So I guess sometimes it's a matter of location as to whether or not someone will know their neighbors and how well they will know them.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:21 AM

1,945 posts, read 1,205,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Do you know your neighbors? Did you grow up in an era and/or an area where you once did? Is it something you miss or value or could care less about in the past or now as a retiree?
I think the younger you are the more you know your neighbors because you're going to school with their kids or see them in the neighborhood. That was important to me then as a youngster growing up. I was born in the late 50s and I knew a lot of neighbors but my mom didn't and as outgoing as she was, she didn't try to become close to any of them. She always said she wasn't the 'coffee klatch' type.

Now I'm in my 60s and I'm the same way.. I know a lot of the neighbors on my block to wave to or have day to day conversations with but I'm not close with any of them. We don't socialize and I don't even know a lot of their names. I know I could depend on them if something were to happen though and they know they could depend on me too.

When we do move out of here I'm confident that I can have the same type of relationship with any new neighbors. I don't want, or need too much closeness with any neighbor. No coffee klatches for me either. A wave, a chat over a fence and I'm a happy camper.

I'm an outgoing person and I don't think I'd be happy in a neighborhood where everyone ignored each other. I do need some sort of human interaction.. not much, but some.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:19 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,776,401 times
I lived in the same house in North San Diego County in SoCal for 21 years & raised my family there. A lot of original owners were there then, everyone was friendly & kids played together. That changed with the real estate boom & bust in early 2000's...many sold & left & we had a completely different demographic...the neighborhood got trashed. Then the foreclosures came, & then the flippers. It became a rental, transient neighborhood of non-English speakers who we had nothing in common with.

We also left, to rural Washington. We all live on 1+acres. Many are retirees, but not all. I know a few of my neighbors, but most don't speak to us or each other. They would like my spouse to come fix stuff for them for free, but that's not my idea of friendship.

It's funny that the above poster used the phrase coffee klatch. My neighbor, in response to me asking if the neighbors were friendly, got together or even spoke to each other, exclaimed, "This is not a coffee klatch neighborhood!". I had never heard that phrase before then. Of course, this same neighbor asks spouse to fix their cars for free...

I've gotten used to the isolation...I think...

Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM

8,614 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Do you know your neighbors? Did you grow up in an era and/or an area where you once did? Is it something you miss or value or could care less about in the past or now as a retiree?

I 'sorta' know my neighbors. We don't visit back and forth but talk over the fence and one neighbor I see every day at work. If I need help with anything all I have to do it ask. I met one neighbor when my washer decided to 'take a walk' across the room and needed help to push it back! lol Growing up we moved so often we never did get to know the neighbors, unless we had moved back to our hometown and then we knew everyone. As a kid I was used to our hometown neighbors and friends so when we moved to California I was surprised that NObody was friendly and I don't recall anyone really talking to one another on our street. The kids, yes, but not the adults. The older I get the less social I am, or so it seems, so I don't care if I get to know a lot of neighbors or not. I live in a family neighborhood and the younger families seem to get together often enough, if cars parked on the street and the music is any indication.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 AM
JRR

3,677 posts, read 2,224,896 times
I am going to miss my neighbors when we move. Quite a few on our street have been here 15 years or more and the people on both sides of us and across the street for around 20 years. Everyone is helpful; never had a problem with having our cats taken care of while we went on trips and when Hurricane Charley dropped a good sized tree branch on our roof, someone was right there with a chainsaw to get it off. Hopefully we will find the same in Tennessee. The prognosis is good for that as we have found people up there to be really friendly. Just as long as we don't get the only grumps in town as our new neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or