U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:39 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,378,376 times

Advertisements

My doctor will except Medicare patients, but not with an HMO. Before turning 65 I attended one sure presentation by an HMO provider. They will lie, and say that most all doctors will except the plan or will so in the near future. They are aggressive and want you to sign up now.

My doctors said, either I can be your physician or you can let an insurance company determine your medical needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 12:04 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
My doctor will except Medicare patients, but not with an HMO. Before turning 65 I attended one sure presentation by an HMO provider. They will lie, and say that most all doctors will except the plan or will so in the near future. They are aggressive and want you to sign up now.

My doctors said, either I can be your physician or you can let an insurance company determine your medical needs.
That sounds pretty arrogant to me. Are your doctors going to treat you without charge and pay for your other medical expenses?

An insurance salesperson doesn't know. It's not totally lie because for some plans, most doctors do. but what they say shouldn't be taken as a guarantee. Everyone should check with their doctor's office first to determine as to whether or not that particular doctor will accept that particular insurance coverage. You can also find this information on the Internet if your doctor is a part of a group that has a website. He or she may have their own website. Or you can call the doctor's office.

It's smart to check periodically because sometimes doctors will drop out of a plan without letting their patients know.

We probably have the most idiotic healthcare system in the world but it's what we're stuck with so we have to learn how to use it.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:18 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,715,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
To my knowledge, but I am 'only' 60, Medicare becomes your primary insurance coverage at age 65, even if you are working.
Not true. I'm 70 and still working, my primary insurance is through my employer. When I terminate employment in a few months I will obtain a Medicare Advantage plan. They signed me up for Medicare part A (hospitalization only) but my primary coverage is still through my employer -- as it would be if I were still to be working at 90.

My doctor told me the Medicare Advantage plans they accept when I asked him. My choice would be to switch doctors if I wanted some other plan. Not every health care provider has to accept every insurance plan -- as far as I know it's always been that way. Doctors have to apply to each insurance company to get certified; some doctors will be on a lot of insurance boards, others will only be certified on a small number of them. Further, companies can close boards to new applicants if they decide the market's saturated in an area.

And if I had been in the office at the time, I would have told the belligerent old guy to shut his pie hole or this old guy would toss him out of the office.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:42 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,446,144 times
The short answer is the guy was just a jerk. His behavior had very little to do with Medicare and everything to do with his character.

As awful as he was, at least once he left the office, he was gone and they didn't have to interact with him anymore. When he goes home, he takes his misery with him. If he lives alone, it's his constant companion. If he doesn't live alone, he surely shares his misery.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:10 PM

9,002 posts, read 7,770,007 times
While I like my doctors, if one stopped taking my insurance I would replace the doctor in a NY minute. There are other good doctors out there.

FYI

From SC Department Of Insurance Q&A

I AM ON MEDICARE AND WOULD LIKE AN HMO AS MY MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT (MEDIGAP) COVERAGE.

At the present time there are no HMOs in South Carolina selling Medigap coverage to individuals. There are, however, several Medicare Advantage plans available in South Carolina. To determine which Medicare Advantage plans are available in your area, please go to www.medicare.gov Scroll down to the Search Tools and select Compare Health Plan Options in Your Area Fill in the appropriate information, and you will be told all of the options that are available in your area.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:42 PM

21,944 posts, read 14,428,907 times
We have Medicare and United Health Care as our supplemental plan. Not all docs take all insurance plans. Kaiser Permanente, docs for instance only accept KP insured patients.

But I've never been turned down by docs not in an HMO, with UHC. I suspect there is something the OP does not know about the Crabby Old Man's situation.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:02 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,269,471 times
Back on thread--People who think of loud talk as a sure fire cure for their problems, don't often think outside of their own sense of things. There is NO other view that could be accepted, and loudly proclaiming that position they become more and more insistent, a tactic that oddly enough, has probably worked well for those so inclined. The old lever action trap door in the floor seems like an adequate solution at those times when the bellicose are in your face.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:52 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,715,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
While I like my doctors, if one stopped taking my insurance I would replace the doctor in a NY minute. There are other good doctors out there.
When I was in my 40s and 50s, I had to change doctors three or four times when I changed jobs because my current doctor wasn't on the panel for my new insurance. This really has nothing to do with Medicare -- it's just the way the system has worked for decades.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:25 PM

512 posts, read 307,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

That guy probably was not like that at age 20. Unfortunately, getting old does bad things sometimes to people.

I'll bet it's 50/50 he was

Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,757,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
......... Doctors have to apply to each insurance company to get certified; some doctors will be on a lot of insurance boards, others will only be certified on a small number of them. .........
Being accepted (certified) by an insurance company is not usually the issue. Insurance companies sell their services to patients or usually the patients' employers. They often compete with other companies based on cost. On the other side the insurance companies sign up doctors and other providers. The insurance company decides how much they want to pay. If the doctor does not agree, the doc will not sign up. Sometimes getting a cheap insurance plan means the doctors are not being paid well. That can mean the only doctors that sign up are those without a thriving practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement