U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,754,934 times

Advertisements

Not a pleasant subject but we all should be aware and know how important it is to fund research.

Alzheimer's: Every Minute Counts - Next Avenue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:36 AM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
I see two issues here. First are the alarmists talking about sinking society. Nonsense! This is a serious disease as are the other forms of dementia, but they are not about to sink society. Second, is the call to fund research. Again, nonsense. We have plenty of charities collecting money for various forms of medical research to cure all sorts of diseases. Hardly any of those research efforts actually accomplish anything. Lots of money is just plain wasted. There has been huge research efforts to try to understand and prevent amyloid deposition in the brain. The pharma companies and the Federal government are both involved in major efforts with little or no progress. Spending more money does not necessarily make a cure come any faster.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I see two issues here. First are the alarmists talking about sinking society. Nonsense! This is a serious disease as are the other forms of dementia, but they are not about to sink society. Second, is the call to fund research. Again, nonsense. We have plenty of charities collecting money for various forms of medical research to cure all sorts of diseases. Hardly any of those research efforts actually accomplish anything. Lots of money is just plain wasted. There has been huge research efforts to try to understand and prevent amyloid deposition in the brain. The pharma companies and the Federal government are both involved in major efforts with little or no progress. Spending more money does not necessarily make a cure come any faster.
so you expect a cure to just drop out of thin air????????????

Have you ever been the caretaker for a person with dementia? Let me tell you the caretakers seem to suffer more than the patients. And that certainly can contribute to sinking. Caretakers burn out quickly and everybody suffers because caretakers are usually family and work for free. And they have to give up careers which has an impact on society to say nothing of the future financial situation of the caretaker.

And pharma is not into research out of the kindness of their greedy little hearts. They are in it to make and sell products so they aren't about to continue expensive research unless there IS progress. It might not be as fast as everybody would like but eventually it does come or they stop.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so you expect a cure to just drop out of thin air????????????

Absolutely not. We have seen huge amounts spent by pharma companies and the Federal government, but all of the attempts to prevent or decrease the rate of progression have failed. As with a great many similar situations, progress is likely to come from basic research not even focused on a specific disease.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:38 PM

Every 4-6 weeks for 8 years I get injections in my eyes for macular degeneration. My doc told me it took 15 years and tens of millions of dollars to just get the drugs to trial, much less to the public. These injections will keep me from going totally blind but I will have to have them for the rest of my life. We are looking for a new drug in a year or two which only has to be injected every 3 months. I remember when there was nothing to be done except send people home to slowly lose their sight.

I bad mouth Big Pharma mostly because a drug almost cost me my life (thanks Premarin!) but then I think about other drugs which have helped me and so many others as well. So I guess it is a wash. BTW every doctor visit and the injections cost almost $6,000! Medicare and BC/BS Federal pick up the lions' share of the costs.

My mother, her 3 siblings and their mother all died from complications of Alzheimer's. I sometimes feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. You can be sure I am hoping more research money is found to find a cure before it does.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM

30,073 posts, read 47,320,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Absolutely not. We have seen huge amounts spent by pharma companies and the Federal government, but all of the attempts to prevent or decrease the rate of progression have failed. As with a great many similar situations, progress is likely to come from basic research not even focused on a specific disease.
That assessment is not accurate--
Have friend older than I am by 15 yrs or so so in her mid-late 80s
She has dementia/Alzheimer's--and has had it for some time--
Apparently her mother had it as well and at earlier age
She is on medication which has slowed the progress of the disease--
Not prevented---but slowed...
And I think there are some significant findings in research that offer positive indications of avenues of treatment---which still have to be developed and tested--

The question is how much is this new administration and the current GOP Congress going to help with this looming threat to the next generation of Americans???
My bet--not that much compared to past efforts for polio vaccine, AIDS research,
Zika certainly showed that Congress allows politics to override any public service intervention...

Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 PM

5,941 posts, read 5,298,958 times
Every obituary I have been involved in had a request for memorial contributions for the disease that was the cause of death.

Most people I know that died that had memorial contributions in the obituary receive a check for the organization from me.

If everyone would list something in the obituary much more money would go to research, but now we have people that are too damn cheap to even have an obituary.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Every obituary I have been involved in had a request for memorial contributions for the disease that was the cause of death.

Most people I know that died that had memorial contributions in the obituary receive a check for the organization from me.

If everyone would list something in the obituary much more money would go to research, but now we have people that are too damn cheap to even have an obituary.
Well, more money would go to charities. How much goes to research is another question. Often it is very little. On top of that the charity decides how to spend the money. They often decide poorly and the money is then wasted anyway.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
She has dementia/Alzheimer's--and has had it for some time--
Apparently her mother had it as well and at earlier age
She is on medication which has slowed the progress of the disease--
Not prevented---but slowed...
And I think there are some significant findings in research that offer positive indications of avenues of treatment---which still have to be developed and tested--
How do you know that the drugs have helped this individual? Large scale studies show minimal effectiveness for any of the current drugs and for combinations of drugs. Recently there were indeed hopes for some new drugs. Unfortunately there has been a serious set back. The most promising of the new drugs have failed the initial clinical trials.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 PM

21,856 posts, read 14,364,134 times
While there is no effective cure for Alzheimer's, there is more knowledge about it. And that knowledge will help find, if not a cure, then a way to arrest it.

How many years did it take to find a cure for HIV? Actually, I don't think they ever found a cure, but they did find a way to treat it so it does not progress. It took many years and millions of dollars.

I also want to mention that treatment of cancer has progressed through research as well. More cancer patients live longer, and more are in remission.

One of the more pressing medical problems today is the lack of new antibiotics to treat antibiotic resistant bacteria. Why is this? Not much ongoing research at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or