U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 PM

426 posts, read 188,926 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Aredhel.
I assume I should buy Netflix online first. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 02:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,148,738 times
You "Subscribe" to Netflix, Not buy it, It has a Monthly fee.

But Yes, You subscribe to Netflix, then when you connect your (Blue-Ray.Roku) you select the Netflix App, put in your email address, and Netflix Password. It it will load The NetFlix Main Menu. You can then select what you want to watch and stream it to your TV.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:49 AM

8,974 posts, read 7,749,631 times
A basic, and I hope correct, crash course in streaming video.

Most if not all of the service are subscription based meaning you pay for each one. Typically they will be from $10 to $15 per month. Many will have them setup to automatically bill a credit card.

The data/info/programs come in over the Internet so you will need an Internet connection. The same one you use for your computer will work assuming it is fast enough as most are. At this point you will be able to watch the service on your computer screen.

The next step is getting those services to your TV. Typically this will be done with a wireless network system so you will need a wireless router hooked to your computer. A router could be hard wired to some TV's but few do this. With this wireless router hooked up you have now created a wireless hotspot so any wireless device (computer, printer TV, etc) can be connected wirelessly.

Now your TV must be wireless in order to receive the wireless signal from your wireless router. Most newer TV's have wireless built in. For older TV's one can buy an external wireless device to plug into the TV thus making the TV wireless.

I myself stream Netflix and Amazon and 80% of my TV watching is from them.

Hope this helps some.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:04 AM

3,752 posts, read 7,488,030 times
Agreed. I'm surprised at how many good BBC series are on Netflix. Midsomer, Last Tango in Halifax, Father Brown, Doc Martin. Really a pleasant surprise.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 AM

13,408 posts, read 6,706,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So I am viewing TV shows and streaming stuff on Netflix with Mrs5150. Amazon, etc. and finding it to be interesting. And much of it aimed at folk like me as well as my kids.

I am saying this, because when I was in my 30s I figured by the time I was 60 media would would not care about me or my demographic.

Quite pleased. I was wrong. Thoughts?
My Aunt agrees with you! It was a learning curve she was loath to go through, but easier than she thought and she is very pleased with the antenna reception on HD TV's, and so far is satisfied with Netflix. Prime is under consideration.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,590,302 times
Besides Netflix & Amazon, leaving aside other pay services, on Roku I have found worthwhile things to watch on the free apps Shout Factory & TubiTV, both have commercials. PBS has an app as well. And YouTube has a lot of interesting things once you start digging in.

For those comfortable with tech I also recommend hooking up a computer to a tv via hdmi cable. (One could buy an old laptop on Craigslist if you don't have one with hdmi out around) By utilizing a vpn one can access BBC live & its archives &, indeed, almost any international broadcaster.

If one has someone willing to share their cable tv info you can also successfully watch TCM on your big screen via the computer as well.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:27 AM

568 posts, read 249,414 times
I'm finding after 1 year of subscribing to MHz, I'm running out of things to watch as they don't get new additions all that often. Have come across a new channel for international TV and film called "Walter Presents". Anyone use that yet? What do you think of it? It's the same price as MHz.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:15 AM

1,318 posts, read 835,915 times
I recently subscribed to the BritBox through my Roku because it had the old Dr. Who series and I've enjoyed watching the early doctors again. However, you have to go through so many steps to get the program up and running that I won't continue my subscription.

This week Roku sent me a new trial offer for Directv. I could now stream Directv through Roku for about $35/mo. Sling offers many of those same channels and is about $20/mo. Between Nextflix, Amazon Prime, and the free channels available, I'm not interested.

However, this offer makes me wonder: Is streaming starting to hurt the big name satellite and cable stations?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM

124 posts, read 107,724 times
my wife watches nothing but investigation discovery channel. anyway to get that one channel without cable? I have a smart tv.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:23 AM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I recently subscribed to the BritBox through my Roku because it had the old Dr. Who series and I've enjoyed watching the early doctors again. However, you have to go through so many steps to get the program up and running that I won't continue my subscription.

This week Roku sent me a new trial offer for Directv. I could now stream Directv through Roku for about $35/mo. Sling offers many of those same channels and is about $20/mo. Between Nextflix, Amazon Prime, and the free channels available, I'm not interested.

However, this offer makes me wonder: Is streaming starting to hurt the big name satellite and cable stations?
Oh no. We were going to get a trial of Brit Box so I'm sorry to hear this. It's THAT complicated.

We watch the news on tv but not much else because most of the rest of it is trash. But we can't cut the cord or we'd pay more to have internet. Cheaper when bundled with economy basic cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or