U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see the new series called 'Gypsy' starring Naomi Watts which is starting on Netflix.

I really like 'Amazon Prime' for movies - they have a fantastic selection - and many quite current. Amazon Prime is also great for independent and art house films, and foreign films.

I agree 'Homicide: Life on the Streets' was a great series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 AM

426 posts, read 188,809 times
I would buy a Mohu Leaf 50, but do not like the black color exposed.
It is not clear from the ads: can I flip it, so it goes black to the wall and looks white outside?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
It is not clear from the ads: can I flip it, so it goes black to the wall and looks white outside?
In my house, it depends on which station I want to watch. Most will come in in one direction, but there's one that will only come in if the antenna is facing in the other direction.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,218,216 times
Quote:
I just saw that this description says it's paintable and doesn't need pointing. I might have to try this one myself because my Pic Tek does need to be positioned correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-th...s=mohu+leaf+50

Old 07-05-2017, 06:48 PM

4,092 posts, read 7,791,224 times
I have two of those Mohu Leaf wall antennas and two from another company. They all work pretty much similarly. The Mohu has a white side and a black side. I guess the black side was meant for a dark room or a home theater. You can flip it over for decoration purposes. For signal reception, move it around a few inches at a time until you get the best reception. The one with a detachable cord is great for traveling. I used to move around a lot and would pack my wall antenna, TV recorder, and laptop in a carry-on backpack, along with clothes and other stuff.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
MHz Networks is a global media company which specializes in presenting international television programming to American audiences. Their website: MHz Networks: Programming for a Globally Minded Audience
Poncho,
I have purchased Roku today, and created an account.
A BUG step forward to cut the cord!
However, I did not find MHz in the list of subscription services on Roku website. How do I get MHz, if it is not there?

Old 09-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I cut my cable last year, and now only use streaming services. I have Netflix, and for foreign TV series, I use Mhz. For a while I had Acorn TV for British shows but they do not add new content to their line up quickly enough. I have not been lucky to find much that I like on Amazon or Hulu. Hopefully, the BBC iplayer will be available in the US soon so that will be something I will add.
I was able to connect to Roku, and picked NETFLIX.
As I don't like modern shows, my hope was I can find some classic movies , like e.g. "Stagecoach", "Kill a mockingbird". Does anybody know, how to get them, please? Are any of them available on Roku?
What I can see on NETFLIX page is a modern crap only.
I also have a problem with low WiFi signal. My modem is in the basement, and my TV is on the first floor. The modem has no visible antenna, so it is not clear, what to do.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM

159 posts, read 112,636 times
Default In regards to your poor wi-fi signal

Quote:
I was able to connect to Roku, and picked NETFLIX.
As I don't like modern shows, my hope was I can find some classic movies , like e.g. "Stagecoach", "Kill a mockingbird". Does anybody know, how to get them, please? Are any of them available on Roku?
What I can see on NETFLIX page is a modern crap only.
I also have a problem with low WiFi signal. My modem is in the basement, and my TV is on the first floor. The modem has no visible antenna, so it is not clear, what to do.
Do you have Ethernet in the room where you watch tv? And if so did you purchase a Roku with an Ethernet port? If so that will solve your signal problem as you can connect using Ethernet instead of wireless. Otherwise you might need to boost your wireless signal, or move your modem if possible.

For finding channels for Roku that you like just go through their catalog and add quite a few and try them out. Or check them out online first and make a list of the ones to add. Roku has a list of most popular channels too.

HR

Old 09-03-2017, 04:27 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,553,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I wish Netflix and Amazon wouldn't release a whole season at once. I can't help myself and binge. I just burned through "The Man in the High Castle" season two in less than two days! Now another year to wait. It is amazing how much good stuff is available "on demand". Some people are calling it the golden age of television. I think I am on the young side here but remember as a child getting tv through the air with a big antenna stuck to the side of the house (or tin foil on the rabbit ears to enhance reception on the portable tv) and those channels went off the air by 1am. It was either the Tonight Show or Mannix or Barnaby Jones reruns. I am spoiled now days and I like it! Go Netflix and Amazon!
I LOVE end of the world as we know it stuff. I was going to watch the first episode of Colony, but ended up watching three and having breakfast cerial for dinner. I've learned if I am going to watch something, unless its something I'm rewatching that I had a long time ago, eat early... feed the dogs... set up the dvr for anything else, and GO For it.

I love that shows which likely would never have been made because they aren't 'commercial' enough, or are more of a rough edge than they'd allow if they had to go for general consumption. But this is up to individuals to watch what they want to and with a choice I think we may find that the 'expected' tastes the advertisers think we all fit in are a lot different than they assume.

I just love it when these well known people go all groupie over Game of Thrones and sound like a bunch of nerdy fans at a convention sharing about their love of some show or comic at Comicon or any media based sci fi con. Welcome to geekville all of you who did not know the joys!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:33 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,606,323 times
I also tune my Roku into a channel called ACORN which is British stuff - my FAVE. There's one comedy called "Boomers" which can be pretty hilarious - Dang, but the Brits cast and produce so well!!! IMO, there's no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or