U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 04:41 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,604,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Last year we finally went wireless and bought a Roku t.v. for the bedroom (still have Dish Network in the living room). Before, we had Netflix DVD service but we RARELY watched them. So, now we just switched from the DVD service to the streaming. I have been a Amazon Prime member for years now because I buy A LOT on Amazon but I don't think we watched anything on Prime-YET! We did just subscribe to ACORN because we were watching the Murdock Mysteries on Netflix but they didn't have the last season but ACORN did. Those are the only ones we have paid for.

I think Netflix is a bit overrated. There have been many times we will look for something and they don't have it. I think that Netflix is the AOL of streaming. At first that was the greatest thing because it was new but they don't seem to be keeping up and I'm sure there will be other channels (if not already) that will surpass Netflix. And when that happens, we will probably drop Netflix.

Cat
I agree. They do have some great documentaries. If you haven't seen "The Keepers" and "Making a Murderer," two true rather harrowing stories told in a series, watch them. Extremely well done.

But in terms of films, I'm not impressed at all. It reminds me of the route HBO took: at first there were great films, then later, just so-so until it got so bad I dropped them. With Netflix, i find the ratio of crap to quality to be about 80% to 20% - and that's just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM

30,092 posts, read 47,327,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I was able to connect to Roku, and picked NETFLIX.
As I don't like modern shows, my hope was I can find some classic movies , like e.g. "Stagecoach", "Kill a mockingbird". Does anybody know, how to get them, please? Are any of them available on Roku?
What I can see on NETFLIX page is a modern crap only.
I also have a problem with low WiFi signal. My modem is in the basement, and my TV is on the first floor. The modem has no visible antenna, so it is not clear, what to do.
You create a Netflix account & pay a subscription TO Netflix if you want to watch programming on Netflix's site.
You can add the Netflix app to your Roku but that is only the first step...

Old 09-04-2017, 04:57 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,846,832 times
Quote:
As I don't like modern shows, my hope was I can find some classic movies , like e.g. "Stagecoach", "Kill a mockingbird". Does anybody know, how to get them, please? Are any of them available on Roku?
I also have a problem with low WiFi signal. My modem is in the basement, and my TV is on the first floor. The modem has no visible antenna, so it is not clear, what to do.
You could get an Amazon account and add that app to Roku. You can rent or watch for free almost any movie or show out there. Check out the Amazon selection.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:12 AM

To watch "free" Amazon videos, you have to be a Prime member which requires paying a fee to be a Prime member...that included free shipping on Prime products you buy and other benefits...

Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I agree. They do have some great documentaries. If you haven't seen "The Keepers" and "Making a Murderer," two true rather harrowing stories told in a series, watch them. Extremely well done.

But in terms of films, I'm not impressed at all. It reminds me of the route HBO took: at first there were great films, then later, just so-so until it got so bad I dropped them. With Netflix, i find the ratio of crap to quality to be about 80% to 20% - and that's just sad.
Access to films/tv series used to be fairly constricted...major television channels in the 50s-60's-70's...
Movie of the week shows where movies were rerun in various ways...newer movies getting prime time replays, older movies running in off-viewing hours...but usually no reruns of old series until more channels opened up.and needed content to run 24/7...cable developed more channels which diluted the material...
Once streaming started and became more widespread the need for material to use for streaming (to drive the financial charges up and up) has grown astronomically....

Creating series, movies, any sort of "watchable" content has spawned idiot zones like all the personal YouTube channels where people film themselves eating in restaurants and giving reviews or other mindless activities...
"Jackass" perfect case in point. You have teaching channels like TED talks and other materials as well as people watching foreign televisions via VPNs...

Supposedly this is the age of the writer since there is such hunger for content...but more is not necessarily better and for every decent offering there are 20 that are short-lived for good reason...

Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 AM

120 posts, read 59,132 times
I've had Amazon Prime and Netflix for quite some time. Last year, I ditched cable in favor of DIRECTV NOW streaming service. I also use an OTA antenna, which picks up 75 stations, due to my proximity to NYC. I can also use the DTVN credentials to sign into dozens of provider apps to view their current and past content.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:27 AM

426 posts, read 188,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimegoat View Post
I've had Amazon Prime and Netflix for quite some time. Last year, I ditched cable in favor of NOWDIRECTV streaming service. I also use an OTA antenna, which picks up 75 stations, due to my proximity to NYC. I can also use the DTVN credentials to sign into dozens of provider apps to view their current and past content.
OK, you pick up 75 stations. I bet you 70 of them are pure crap...
Do you get DTVN through Roku?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 AM

120 posts, read 59,132 times
Quote:
OK, you pick up 75 stations. I bet you 70 of them are pure crap...
Do you get DTVN through Roku?
LOL. A lot of them are public access or "Old Time" tv stations. But I also get 2 or 3 feeds of each major network broadcast (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, etc). I'm in Westchester, NY and I'm pulling in signals from as far away as Newark, NJ with an indoor Winegard antenna that someone gave me, because it wasn't working for them (They live in a garden-style co-op, while I am 7 stories up with Southern exposure).

I use Apple TV in the bedroom, and an Amazon Fire TV stick in the living room (until DTVN gets their Xbox One app together). Apple TV is flawless, while Fire TV is plagued with buffering issues. DTVN just released their Roku app, and from what I hear is working very well for people.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 PM

1,318 posts, read 834,462 times
Quote:
On your Roku, go to "streaming channels" then to "top free". You should be able to find Pluto and also On Classic Movies.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,242,977 times
Quote:

and if you're looking for a particular movie, on the left hand side of your screen (before you pick Netflix or any other channel), scroll up to "Search" and type in the name. It will show you the channels that particular show is available on for viewing. If the show is not available, you can add it to a watch list and Roku will let you know when/if it becomes available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or