U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-16-2017, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,318 posts, read 834,822 times
Reputation: 2869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Some people new to streaming don't know which are pay and which are free subscriptions
Might be helpful to note that aspect in future posts

I am hoping the BBC and ITV will start a pay streaming service soon
I know BBC is planning to do that so anyone, anywhere with Internet connect and credit card can watch BBC programming
The BBC channel is free on Roku. Here's the top free channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 AM
 
568 posts, read 248,987 times
Reputation: 1045
The BBC was supposed to introduce their iPlayer in the US this year. Not sure what happened why they did not. IMHO Many of the free channels on Roku really are not worth it. I was disappointed in Acorn since content was added really slowly, and was not often current. Walter Presents is proving to be a better option as they add new and current series monthly. Mhz started off well but their foreign offerings are really too old (with few exceptions). Netflix has also been increasing its foreign TV and movie options but the choice is pretty "hit or miss"! PBS, and the other main channels offer their series on their web site for free a couple of days after airing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 08:41 AM
 
30,108 posts, read 47,335,107 times
Reputation: 16044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
The BBC channel is free on Roku. Here's the top free channels.

Don't think you looked at what the BBC TV channel is--
THAT BBCTV is a Baptist church--not BBC in the UK

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/125438/bbc-tv
Not my thing at all
And BBC America is not "live" BBC programming like I used to be able to watch via my VPN--
It is replays of BBC programming and really doesn't have anything I want...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 08:49 AM
 
30,108 posts, read 47,335,107 times
Reputation: 16044
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The BBC was supposed to introduce their iPlayer in the US this year. Not sure what happened why they did not. IMHO Many of the free channels on Roku really are not worth it. I was disappointed in Acorn since content was added really slowly, and was not often current. Walter Presents is proving to be a better option as they add new and current series monthly. Mhz started off well but their foreign offerings are really too old (with few exceptions). Netflix has also been increasing its foreign TV and movie options but the choice is pretty "hit or miss"! PBS, and the other main channels offer their series on their web site for free a couple of days after airing.
I was surprised to see so many Turkish programs on Netflix--not necessarily that Netflix originated but just that they bought to use for their Turkish/European audiences and are making available to their US customers
Very interesting to see what appeals to the average Turkish viewer...window into their soul so to speak
Just as our programming gives profile into Americans' psyche to certain extent...

I wish they would do that with more Scandanavian offerings--
I found some good series on BBC and couple of other streaming channels that were Scandanavian originally
And Canadian---19-2 is great cops show from Canada on Acorn--going into last season soon and there have been couple of others--like Cardinal cop mystery based on the John Cardinal novels from Canadian author

Walter Presents I will check out

I bought a Roku stick for my sister for Christmas--she has low income and doesn't have cable just antenna in kind of remote area for OTA access--
I programmed it for our accounts so she could get access to programming
She likes Acorn and has used Netflix but not much into Amazon Prime (and Amazon Prime is going downhill pretty badly IMO--there used to be nice nuggets of material to find but now seems free stuff is mostly schlock--
Amazon Originals taking up more of their budget I guess and some of those are excellent...
I hope they decide to go forward with the SciFi show (forget the name now) about the colony on planet w/a real mystery going on...mainly because I think I know the cause and want to know if I am right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,318 posts, read 834,822 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Don't think you looked at what the BBC TV channel is--
THAT BBCTV is a Baptist church--not BBC in the UK

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/125438/bbc-tv
Not my thing at all
And BBC America is not "live" BBC programming like I used to be able to watch via my VPN--
It is replays of BBC programming and really doesn't have anything I want...
Gee with shows like Home Fires and My Mother and Other Strangers, I guess I'm mistaken that it shows Masterpiece Theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 06:06 PM
 
30,108 posts, read 47,335,107 times
Reputation: 16044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Gee with shows like Home Fires and My Mother and Other Strangers, I guess I'm mistaken that it shows Masterpiece Theater.
13hours of Star Trek Voyager is not my cut of tea--
I would just like to see BBC programming in reasonably current time vs seeing it a year or so later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
32 posts, read 18,373 times
Reputation: 86
BBC America if full of commercials, and older, censored programming for an American audience. Horrible. Commercial-free programing via BBC's iPlayer (using VPN) is for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 10:55 AM
 
1,183 posts, read 761,708 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnohara View Post
BBC America if full of commercials, and older, censored programming for an American audience. Horrible. Commercial-free programing via BBC's iPlayer (using VPN) is for me.
not only that, they air the same shows over and over and over. good lord.

i, too, use a VPN and iPlayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM
 
426 posts, read 188,715 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
The BBC channel is free on Roku. Here's the top free channels.
Yes! Thank you so much.
I checked the free channels, and added some of them.
Without your email I would never guess they exist...
Is there any detailed manual/description of Roku features?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 PM
 
426 posts, read 188,715 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Netflix has also been increasing its foreign TV and movie options but the choice is pretty "hit or miss"! PBS, and the other main channels offer their series on their web site for free a couple of days after airing.
Tell me, how do I get to those "foreign TV", please.
When I go to Netflix, there is a bunch of stupid modern US movies/series - that is the only thing I can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top