U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 AM

51 posts, read 57,618 times

Advertisements

Maybe try Kodi?
Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:30 PM

568 posts, read 249,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Is Mhz a Roku channel? Never heard of it, and I have my Roku loaded. Also sign onto a Roku private channel called ChannelPear. 24 hr Seinfeld,movies. Lots of stuff.
Yes, Mhz is a Roku channel. Because I enjoy foreign TV, it meets my needs. Unfortunately, they are not as large as Netflix, and so the content is slow in being populated with new shows. However, the content that they do have is not available anywhere else. It's the usual $8/month.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:34 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
I bought a blue ray player wired to also recieve streaming services, and after working out the steps, its great. I watched Man in the High Castle on my teeny little laptop screen trying to get glare out of the way, and gave up so I'd only seen the first two. I don't see how you can watch more than a couple without a break, with all the intensity. I'll actually use my netflix membership now too, since there were a lot of things I like but it was so unsatisifying on the wrong screen. I have a roqu somewhere too, but it got put away when I discovered it wouldn't work on the old tv.

What's really cool about the vastly expanded amount of sources is that many of them would never make it as tv shows on a network since there would be so many limitations and they'd have to be chopped up for commercials. A tense drama is ruined by them.

A lot of these series would not have been made before since they'd have a 'limited' audience if left whole or been edited to death.

I also love that the shows I have watched, like the new version of Battlestar Galactica, can be revisited and minus interruption (which was distracting) they have a much more powerful punch.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,347,729 times
Does anyone know of a central place where the shows available on each of the streaming channels are listed? It all seems very disjointed to me. Do you just have to try each service to see what is available?

I have cable and like the online guide because I can easily see what is on at any time. But there are fewer and fewer shows that appeal to me.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Does anyone know of a central place where the shows available on each of the streaming channels are listed? It all seems very disjointed to me. Do you just have to try each service to see what is available?

I have cable and like the online guide because I can easily see what is on at any time. But there are fewer and fewer shows that appeal to me.
IMDB Use to have a very good listings of where things streamed when they were independent, But Amazon bought them and striped all that out, now it only show Amazon Streaming Options.

The Roku search features seems to work well for most of the major Streaming services.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:48 AM

3,587 posts, read 4,933,053 times
We tried Netflix for a month because there was a free trial through Comcast. I was all excited because I thought we would be able to access all the thousands of movies that they offer through their DVD mail service, as well as classic TV shows. But the choices through the streaming service were much more limited. There were very few movies and TV shows that appealed to me, so we cancelled it after the free trial. We don't binge-watch and we weren't interested in the Netflix originals - not to our taste. It was kind of disappointing because it would be nice to lower those outrageous cable costs, which we keep primarily because of Turner Classic Movies.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
Turner Classic's type movies, Many of them are in the DVD sections of alot of libraries,
If you have a antenna, check out the "Side Band" Channels, they run many of the old tv shows, and movies.

If you stream via (Many Boxes) there are a number of older show streaming channels, Most are advertiser supported, But there are PC apps, that can download them to your PC, Strip out the ads, and allow you to view them via your "local" (PC) media server to your TV to a "Channel" on the StreamBox.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 AM

3,587 posts, read 4,933,053 times
Thanks for those great suggestions! I will attempt the PC downloads.

We do get some of those sub-channels of local stations through cable, which is nice. I also have a TV in my office with an antenna that receives 41 local digital channels that air a lot of the old TV series. Some of those channels are shopping channels, but it's still nice to have such a variety. The options can really make your head spin. And I still can't keep myself from saying, "When I was a youngster, we only got five channels!"

Old 01-25-2017, 11:26 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I cut my cable last year, and now only use streaming services. I have Netflix, and for foreign TV series, I use Mhz. For a while I had Acorn TV for British shows but they do not add new content to their line up quickly enough. I have not been lucky to find much that I like on Amazon or Hulu. Hopefully, the BBC iplayer will be available in the US soon so that will be something I will add.
I cut the cord several years ago & now have more to watch than I ever did on cable, in fact I have to monitor the time I allow myself to watch now. (Pertinent to that I don't watch sports; I dislike most tv series, fictional or reality based, that are offered on broadcast/cable tv other than PBS/TCM as I find them simpleminded at best, & I am a serious movie nerd & I don't mind subtitles.)

Although a fan of Apple products generally I prefer Roku over Apple TV or Chromecast. I also have a computer (Apple) with a HDMI video out to my TV as well as an indoor antenna for local/network news. The computer, by subscribing to a VPN service - pretty cheap - allows one to watch British networks, or any international, & then iPlayer allows you to also view the BBC archive.

There are 2 private channels available on Roku that are confusedly both called Filmon, google for the Roku codes. The official Filmon has dozens of obscure genre/international channels but the real value to me is the free on demand classic movies with a British bias. The other unofficial filmon app relays most of the British networks live, don't forget they are 5+ hours ahead. I at least watch BBC news every night, very enlightening these days, good docs & music too. There are also French, German, Canadian & other channels.

If one is open to subtitles I think Netflix shines. I recently did a tear through a lot of French & Italian crime/suspense films & they were terrific, Scandinavian now...

Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,842,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

I have been wondering the same thing.... I would LOVE to be done with cable, but the housemate is a huge NASCAR fan, so we need the stations that show the races on Sundays.....

It looks like Sling might be a good option for the sports channels, maybe paired with Netflix and Hulu.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or