U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 AM

30,126 posts, read 47,353,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It usually takes a couple of days after the event before someone uploads the most recent All Blacks match to YouTube. I hook up my MacBook Air to the television, go into full screen mode, and enjoy an awesome game. The results are rarely known beforehand because only a handful of people in the country care about international rugby, (but in truth, the All Blacks win about 95% of their test matches anyway). Who needs football?

I also found an abundant library of Hallmark Channel movies on YouTube for those times I just want to watch a 'feel good' movie. With YouTube and Netflix, I haven't felt the need for cable or satellite TV for about fifteen years now . . . and I don't miss it.
Re programs on YouTube--
I tried YouTube several years ago searching for BBC programming that wasn't available at Amazon or other streaming outlets
I found much of what I wanted but it was behind someone's private channel--where you had to signup and "join"
I don't like to do that---
Sometimes there is money involved but also worry about someone using my signing on as means to hi-Jack my computer
Much of what I want to watch on YouTube has been shielded from free viewing
Sometimes because of copyright issues but just because people are trying to make some money as well...

And there is nothing on the reality side where people are making shows and marketing them on YouTube that interests me--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 07:36 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I cut my cable 2 years ago, and certainly have not missed it at all. Get the main networks and a few other "over the air". Netflix and Walter Presents keeps me busy with enough choice. Also tried Acorn and Mhz but gave up both as their new content was added too slowly, and was often not as current as I liked.
I watch a lot of sports, and as far as I know, you cannot get the regional Fox Sports networks on streaming services. I watch the Predators and the Reds - we get a mix of coverage between Fox Sports TN and Fox Sports OH.

If you have a few streaming services and internet, it is often cheaper to just get cable.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:22 AM

568 posts, read 249,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I watch a lot of sports, and as far as I know, you cannot get the regional Fox Sports networks on streaming services. I watch the Predators and the Reds - we get a mix of coverage between Fox Sports TN and Fox Sports OH.

If you have a few streaming services and internet, it is often cheaper to just get cable.
A lot of streaming channels will add up,but both streaming channels for me cost about $20/month. I usually have a queue on both.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:37 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,590,302 times
Here per month it is: Internet $50; Netflix $10; Amazon $8.50 (has several other uses); VPN $4. That's $73/mo, about half of what cable was charging me, of course I don't care about sports which are still trying to figure out streaming & Roku et al...

Free: Youtube is a diamond in the rough once you know how to use it & search, last night I watched a 60 minute BBC doc on Dave Gilmour & there are classic movies, tv shows, music performances, etc... Jimmy Buffett was streaming some live concerts this summer as well as J Meyer & The Dead; I've been watching some of the old Dick Cavett shows recently. The new Roku channel has a decent set of movies as does Tubi TV both with commercials. PBS has some free programming & if you support your local a lot of archive shows are available online. I was just about to subscribe to a classic film service Filmstruck/Criterion ($10/mo) when I discovered that my library supports a free app/service that allows 10 films a month many of which are the same Criterion classics.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Here per month it is: Internet $50; Netflix $10; Amazon $8.50 (has several other uses); VPN $4. That's $73/mo, about half of what cable was charging me, of course I don't care about sports which are still trying to figure out streaming & Roku et al...

Free: Youtube is a diamond in the rough once you know how to use it & search, last night I watched a 60 minute BBC doc on Dave Gilmour & there are classic movies, tv shows, music performances, etc... Jimmy Buffett was streaming some live concerts this summer as well as J Meyer & The Dead; I've been watching some of the old Dick Cavett shows recently. The new Roku channel has a decent set of movies as does Tubi TV both with commercials. PBS has some free programming & if you support your local a lot of archive shows are available online. I was just about to subscribe to a classic film service Filmstruck/Criterion ($10/mo) when I discovered that my library supports a free app/service that allows 10 films a month many of which are the same Criterion classics.
Yes. Both my libraries offer Hoopla for free so I use that occasionally.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 AM

426 posts, read 188,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
...Free: Youtube is a diamond in the rough once you know how to use it & search...

...PBS has some free programming & if you support your local a lot of archive shows are available online. I was just about to subscribe to a classic film service Filmstruck/Criterion ($10/mo) when I discovered that my library supports a free app/service that allows 10 films a month many of which are the same Criterion classics.
Would you give me an idea, how to search YouTube, please.
Also too: Tell me more about PBS, please. I found some of PBS free stuff, but not much.

Last edited by volosong; 10-13-2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: fixed quote hypertags

Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM

426 posts, read 188,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Yes. Both my libraries offer Hoopla for free so I use that occasionally.
Does that mean you have to go to the library to watch the movies?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Does that mean you have to go to the library to watch the movies?
No....you can download them to your device once you log in to the library with your library card. Most librarians are happy to walk you though how to do it (if their library offers the service).

Old 10-19-2017, 05:55 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,553,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Nightbird47, I'm familiar with subscribing to Netflix, but not 'I heart radio' related to TV. What is provided?

And Amazon through TV - I subscribe to Amazon Prime, so I stream Amazon provided movies on my computer - 1000's of free movies and TV series too - but to get Amazon streamed through one's TV does one need a blue ray player? Or a Roku, I suppose? Or maybe some have an internet-ready TV.
If the tv is set up for streaming, you just set up amazon on the tv. I have netflix set up there too. Neither interfere with the way the tv works as a tv. And Hulu is on a long display of other streaming setups you can create. There ARE things I really want to see on Hulu, and tried it out. The really annoying thing is it sets the picture to some internal setting. You can edit it but once you close Hulu it doesn't go back to the screen you set for regular tv and you have to reset all that.

I'm wondering if CBS's streaming service is available since I'm giving ST-Discovery a chance, and want to see it on the tv not the little laptop screen.

The only service I've noticed where the settings don't cancel and return to what they were before is the Hulu one. I haven't tried any of the others which don't have an auto set on the system.

I'm not sure what I heart plays but its a music service. Before I've only seen it in cars.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 AM

30,126 posts, read 47,353,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

FoxSports does have an app--you have couple of options for which Fox channel you can watch when you are in the app
I have it on my iPad and think there is Roku FoxSports channel
You MUST have subscription to a cable Fox Network to access the streaming account
But when we are in FL I can use my iPad to watch TX Ranger baseball games that aren't available on the local cable or OTA--unless they are playing Tampa's team for instance...
Or maybe other local sports as well as what is available on more regional or national play
It has been helpful because we have two homes--one in FL and one in TX
My husband doesn't like the inconvenience of using the Roku or casting from the slingplayer we have and he paid extra for MLB access on our FL cable provider

Last edited by loves2read; 10-19-2017 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or