U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:47 AM

426 posts, read 188,454 times

Advertisements

I have Roku with an extender, and like to use Utube. For some reason, I am getting frequent messages on the TV screen: "you are not connected to Utube, you must go to youtube.com/activate and enter the code LPON YIXN". I get it usually once a month, but it happened twice last week!
Can I get rid of these frequent activations, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I have Roku with an extender, and like to use Utube. For some reason, I am getting frequent messages on the TV screen: "you are not connected to Utube, you must go to youtube.com/activate and enter the code LPON YIXN". I get it usually once a month, but it happened twice last week!
Can I get rid of these frequent activations, please?
You need to go to youtube.com on your computer & set up an account there (they are the same as Google). Once you have a Youtube account go back to Roku & get a new code, & then enter that code on your computer at youtube.com/activate

I have no idea what you mean by "Roku with an extender" ???

Old 01-28-2018, 02:14 PM

Extender helps to get a better quality connection through all the floors.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 PM

30,067 posts, read 47,312,423 times
Using my Roku to watch Starz channel--
Started "Counterpart"
SciFi story about two basically secret realities/world's that developed 30 yrs before because of scientific experiment gone off-kilter in Berlin
JD Simmons plays someone who is very different in each reality but sharing a common history
Some sort of regime change is being tried by one state against the other--or at least certain members of the hierarchy...so lot of covert ops and night skulduggery
Interesting

Old 01-31-2018, 04:46 PM

605 posts, read 260,273 times
Default PlayStation Vue

I have recently dropped cable and have looked at a number of streaming services. The one we have chosen is PS Vue, which is a Sony streaming service. I chose it because it has the channels my wife and I want, for the most part, and it streams nearly perfectly through our Roku sticks. We have the Core package. $45.00

Pros:
Excellent streaming, no glitches so far
Streams to five devices
Wife likes TCM
I like The Golf Channel
Dvr (but see below)
Will stream away from home

Cons:
While it does have a guide, I find that it does not easily or prominently display info about the show.
Everything seems to be two or more clicks away, including last channel.
No A&E or History Channel
Only one local broadcast channel live (for me it is CBS)
Dvr- So, while the dvr works it works as a cloud dvr. It’s not as intuitive, convenient, or seamless as the cable dvr.

Some final thoughts: We also use antennae, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, and some programming on the Roku sticks. It takes a little bit of tech savvy, but not much, honestly. PS Vue works well. Cable is better. Since we are saving $85.00 a month we’re sticking with PS Vue.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,341,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I have recently dropped cable and have looked at a number of streaming services. The one we have chosen is PS Vue, which is a Sony streaming service. I chose it because it has the channels my wife and I want, for the most part, and it streams nearly perfectly through our Roku sticks. We have the Core package. $45.00

Pros:
Excellent streaming, no glitches so far
Streams to five devices
Wife likes TCM
I like The Golf Channel
Dvr (but see below)
Will stream away from home

Cons:
While it does have a guide, I find that it does not easily or prominently display info about the show.
Everything seems to be two or more clicks away, including last channel.
No A&E or History Channel
Only one local broadcast channel live (for me it is CBS)
Dvr- So, while the dvr works it works as a cloud dvr. Its not as intuitive, convenient, or seamless as the cable dvr.

Some final thoughts: We also use antennae, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, and some programming on the Roku sticks. It takes a little bit of tech savvy, but not much, honestly. PS Vue works well. Cable is better. Since we are saving $85.00 a month were sticking with PS Vue.
This is why I don't like streaming... too many different platforms to keep track of, and no central place to know what is available and what is on when.

Question: if you dropped cable, what are you using for internet (which you need for streaming)?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
This is why I don't like streaming... too many different platforms to keep track of, and no central place to know what is available and what is on when.

Question: if you dropped cable, what are you using for internet (which you need for streaming)?
You just get the internet connection from your company, but they raise the price for internet only since they know that's the trend, I pay $50/mo (with the $10 discount for auto online payment). I just got the new bill & it'll be $10 more starting next month. $60 + $10 is till less than 50% of what I was paying with cable tv. The only channel I miss is TCM.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:38 AM

Which streaming service provides the Winter Olympics, please?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:15 AM

30,067 posts, read 47,312,423 times
I think they are streamed on NBC so you might be able to watch w/ OTA antenna or via computer at NBC.com if you don't have other access
NBC sports has a Roku channel but not sure if you need a cable subscription to activate it
Sling TV which is a subscription service has NBC Sports included in its services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or