U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:43 AM

51 posts, read 57,552 times

Advertisements

No takers on Kodi, eh?

For availability to stream, try this:Can I Stream.It?: Search Netflix, Hulu, Google Play, iTunes, and more, for movies to stream instantly, rent, and buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:33 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,532,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin80 View Post
I haven't tried Kodi, but I do use SageTV, which is competing software, and have been using SageTV for about a decade. SageTV is now free, and so far seems to be the best software for recording TV programs. SageTV is more complicated to setup, but does not have the restrictions and possible bad things about the rented DVR features of cable and satellite TV.

I've heard, but I don't know if it is true or not that you are not permitted to skip commercials with the rented DVR software until a time delay, such as the next day. If that is true, that would be very annoying. With SageTV, there's no commercial skipping restrictions and no inserted popup advertisements. We have been skipping TV commercials for about a decade. SageTV has the ability to 'mark' the commercial blocks, which then allows you to watch TV and have the commercial blocks automatically removed without manually fast forwarding with the remote control. The commercial block 'marking' is not perfect, so sometimes you still have to manually skip commercials with the remote control. After skipping TV commercials for about a decade, I find TV is almost unwatchable at my in-laws homes, who do not record TV.

For some reason, TV commercials do not seem to bother some people. They simply think TV commercials are 'normal' and it is a person's 'duty' to 'put up' with watching commercials. We think watching TV commercials is a waste of time and an annoyance. The other benefit of SageTV is that you program it to record your favorite shows, and even when you program a 'one-off' show, the software learns what you like and don't like. The software then records TV shows that it 'thinks' you will like. You can also tell the software you don't like certain programs. Over time, the software becomes more intelligent.

We used to record the Tonight Show back when Jay Leno did the Tonight Show. We don't watch the Tonight Show after Jay Leno left because we feel the show went drastically down hill. One time, SageTV recorded the show, "Good Times". We never watch that show, and it was odd that it all of a sudden decided to record "Good Times'. It turned out that Jay Leno happened to make a guest appearance on that "Good Times" episode. The software didn't automatically record "Good Times" after that. So, the software learned that we liked to watch Jay Leno.

I programmed SageTV to automatically record "John Fogerty" from Creedence Clearwater Revival. Later, SageTV recorded a John Fogerty concert on a channel I normally never watched.

We rarely watch live TV, almost never. We record much more TV than we watch. Most of the recordings are deleted without watching them, however, we have the option to watch them. We never have to worry about getting home so we don't miss a favorite TV program. The overall effect is the quality of TV improves. There is always something good to watch on TV. We never surf the TV channels, like we used to years ago, looking for the best of all crappy programming when we wanted to watch TV. About 1/3 of TV is commercials, so you save 20 minutes each hour.

Some people don't like the idea of watching a lot of TV or even watching TV at all. I do know people who purposely do not own a TV. When talking to them, they tend to be isolated from reality. They never know anything about any current news or events. They seem a bit like hermits to me.

The SageTV software is free, and there is no monthly charge. It might cost several hundred dollars to more than a thousand dollars to setup a system, depending on how large you want to scale up the system. I can record 5 programs at once, but the system can scale up much higher. I have about 3 TB or storage on the the SageTV computer and about 16 TB storage on a file server. You still have to pay for satellite or cable TV, unless you only want to record over the air TV, which is free.

There are many 'add on' features available to SageTV, which are for the most part also free. One or two add on software features was a $10 on-time donation, which was cheap.

Besides watching SageTV, we also watch Netflix, which is very cheap for the number of movies you get. Years ago, before we had SageTV, we used to watch HBO, Showtime, Stars, Cinemax, etc. We ended up watching movies from the middle of the movie instead of from the start of the movie, unless we synchronized our schedule to the broadcast time table. Later, we recorded the pay channel movies. When watching movies with Netflix, you always watch the movies from the start of the movie. If you stop in the middle, you can resume where you left off because Netflix remembers where you left off. If you watch a series, Netflix remembers where you were in the series. The movies on Netflix might not be as new as the pay channels, but we don't need to be the first on our block to watch movies. We think it is insane to line up at midnight at a movie theater to watch a movie at the first showing.

Another great way to watch streamed video is watching YouTube, specifically YouTube Red. YouTube Red is commercial free YouTube. If you subscribe to the Google Play Music service, you get YouTube Red thrown in for free. Or, you can pay the same price for YouTube Red alone, without the Google Play Music service. It has a monthly cost of about $9.95 for individual membership, and $15.95 for family membership. The family membership allows up to six people to be tied to the membership. I use Chromecast to stream the YouTube Red video to the TV. With Chromecast, there isn't a remote control, since your cellphone or tablet is your remote control. You can queue up many videos. Chromecast is cheap, only about $35. We also have Chomecast Audio, which allows streaming music from the cellphone or tablet to the audio amplifier, then the TV can be turned off, leaving only the amplifier on. Chromecast Audio is also cheap, about $35. We also have Roku, which can be used to stream from the cellphone or tablet, or can be used with the Roku remote control to watch Netflix, Amazon, or other streaming services.

You can drastically improve your TV experience on the cheap by just subscribing to Netflix and buying a Chromecast or Roku device. It's a significant improvement from just the over the air free TV stations. Or, spend more money for cable or satellite TV, to add more programming options.

If you haven't tried using SageTV, I recommend taking a look at SageTV.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I have been wondering the same thing.... I would LOVE to be done with cable, but the housemate is a huge NASCAR fan, so we need the stations that show the races on Sundays.....

It looks like Sling might be a good option for the sports channels, maybe paired with Netflix and Hulu.....
I signed up for Sling because they advertised the baseball championships and the World Series. I was a little more than peeved when I tuned in to find they were not showing in my particular metropolitan area. And I live thousands of miles away from where the game was played so it had nothing to do with blackout restrictions.

If you want sports be sure they are actually showing what you want to see in your area!

Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Since I got my new tv, I was watching a few things from Netflix, but to get the tv to go into another mode, it ended up having to be reset each time. Then when I set up the new blue ray player, it has and amazon, netflix and i heart raido button. I want to watch something on netflix, just push the button. TV never gets confused. Box does not need to be rebooted. Success.....

I've been watching a lot more the last week, and if you plan on a new blueray player DO look for one with this capacity.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:51 PM

336 posts, read 647,931 times
Question, Has anyone here gone to watching sports exclusively through streaming services. I'm thinking for signing up for MLBTv.net (or whatever it is called), but I don't want to do so if I don't actually get to select from all the baseball games being played and wind up only having a limited selection. Also anyone know of a similar service for college sports?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:40 PM

1,288 posts, read 1,747,501 times
The MLB extra innings has all the games , except blackouts in your market ...you can go to their website and put in a zipcode and see who's games are blacked out

Old 02-13-2017, 01:29 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Tried Hulu a couple years ago and didn't particularly like it. I got a free trial for a month so I signed up again and it has changed a lot! We are considering keeping Hulu and getting rid of Netflix. Probably we will start alternating between them. 6 months Hulu and 6 months Netflix.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Since I got my new tv, I was watching a few things from Netflix, but to get the tv to go into another mode, it ended up having to be reset each time. Then when I set up the new blue ray player, it has and amazon, netflix and i heart raido button. I want to watch something on netflix, just push the button. TV never gets confused. Box does not need to be rebooted. Success.....

I've been watching a lot more the last week, and if you plan on a new blueray player DO look for one with this capacity.
Nightbird47, I'm familiar with subscribing to Netflix, but not 'I heart radio' related to TV. What is provided?

And Amazon through TV - I subscribe to Amazon Prime, so I stream Amazon provided movies on my computer - 1000's of free movies and TV series too - but to get Amazon streamed through one's TV does one need a blue ray player? Or a Roku, I suppose? Or maybe some have an internet-ready TV.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:01 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
You can steam NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon ...

Thru Roku on your TV, I think the Roku stick is like $40

Old 02-13-2017, 05:13 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Yes, I'm familiar with Roku for streaming - but not familiar with a blue ray player - does the blue ray player do the same thing as Roku? And I'm not certain how having an internet-ready TV (internet is built in) fits in. I don't have an internet-ready TV, also just curious about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or