U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 PM

30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Yes, I'm familiar with Roku for streaming - but not familiar with a blue ray player - does the blue ray player do the same thing as Roku? And I'm not certain how having an internet-ready TV (internet is built in) fits in. I don't have an internet-ready TV, also just curious about it.
A blu-Ray DVD player has to be capable of accessing the Internet to,offer streaming apps like Hulu, Amazon, etc...usually they are labeled "smart"...like smart TVs have Internet access over wifi...

We have had issues with using blu-ray players for their streaming access because after a year or so when the various streaming apps need to be updated the blu-Ray maker will no allow the update to some machines...
I think it has to do with the mfg of the blu-Ray trying to avoid paying a licensing fee to the streaming app like YouTube, Amazon, etc...

We have had that happen with Sony players and while some apps still work fine some don't. We use them for DVD and streaming but we also have Roku streaming stick which has wifi w/o a cable, is less expensive than a DVD player, and works great for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,077,208 times
Quote:
Nightbird47, I'm familiar with subscribing to Netflix, but not 'I heart radio' related to TV. What is provided?

And Amazon through TV - I subscribe to Amazon Prime, so I stream Amazon provided movies on my computer - 1000's of free movies and TV series too - but to get Amazon streamed through one's TV does one need a blue ray player? Or a Roku, I suppose? Or maybe some have an internet-ready TV.
If you primarily stream Amazon then your best bet is the Amazon Fire Stick.
I mostly stream Netflix and Amazon, and my Fire Stick performs much better than my Roku - less buffering.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,569,443 times
Quote:
Nightbird47, I'm familiar with subscribing to Netflix, but not 'I heart radio' related to TV. What is provided?

And Amazon through TV - I subscribe to Amazon Prime, so I stream Amazon provided movies on my computer - 1000's of free movies and TV series too - but to get Amazon streamed through one's TV does one need a blue ray player? Or a Roku, I suppose? Or maybe some have an internet-ready TV.
I've never tried IHeart Raido, but it works very simply with the blue ray player. The box invariably needs to be shut and reset after watching something from a streaming service. Though I haven't tried Hulu on the blue ray.

I got a Roku stick, but didn't have any wireless set up, and by then I had gotten a free upgrade on my modem so I never tried it. It's the proverbial 'somewhere' and when I find it I'd like to see what else it gets.

I really love how the blue ray player just makes it SO easy to get to at least amazon and netflix as the Dish reciever has to be reset every time I use that. It also plays all my dvd's with an even better picture than the dvd player and I don't have to find a plug to plug it into.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 AM

10,478 posts, read 5,944,584 times
I have many soap boxes that I stand on. But one of them is having issues with the person who proudly says they do not watch TV because it's all junk. If TV is not for you that's fine. But stop tellling me I'm an idiot for watching TV as if it's all Punky Brewster reruns when the fact is most of the stuff we watch are about nature, history, documentaries, or just really well done tv shows.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 AM

4,181 posts, read 2,595,608 times
Quote:

Smart TVs are like an iPad - they connect to the Internet and you download "apps" that can stream movies or play music. Our Sony TV came pre-installed with the Netflix app but we had to download the Pandora app. But once it is downloaded you do not need a computer. You have to log-in to the streaming service using the TV remote control but only once, it remembers it after that. It works really well - it eliminates wires and other electronics to buy and maintain.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,623,065 times
Maybe this isn't the right forum to post this. Have started watching some French shows on Netflix and am totally impressed. Apparently the BBC started showing some French productions and they found a fan base. Subtitles but no problem because the acting and pace are so good. Started with Witnesses or Les Temoins and then the amazing Spiral. Anybody know whether they are discussed anywhere? Imbd took down the message boards. I recommend these shows for the Brit mystery and procedural fans.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times
You could try the TV or Movie boards over in the Arts/Entertainment section here. I recently posted there how I really enjoyed watching a bunch of French crime thriller films that were unknowns to me... imo the international offerings are some of the best things on Netflix: Dept Q most recently...

For those looking to downsize & cut their cable bill, which may be more appropriate for this forum, Youtube just announced yesterday they will carry all of the major broadcast networks + others for $35/mo, but some of the big cable channels won't be on it. It's on most of today's news sites for more details.

Besides Netflix I have Amazon Prime Video (since I do about 95% of my shopping there the streaming service is a decent bonus) both on a Roku - total cost less than $20/mo + internet service. There are a couple of unofficial free Roku apps that access live British networks & others, I watch BBC news daily. These are live tho & so are 5+ hours ahead of us & sometimes off the air (middle of the night).

If one is even mildly tech proficient you can subscribe to a VPN - $2-3/mo - on your internet & stream from a computer with a hi def cable to your tv all the British networks (any international ones actually) which includes vod from their archives. A VPN is very handy to have also for security if one uses public wifi.

I live in a very expensive area & I have been able to bring my internet/phone/tv monthly total down to $80/mo total.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,623,065 times
Thx Hefe

Old 03-05-2017, 12:54 PM

568 posts, read 250,118 times
Acorn TV is good for British TV shows, as well as others from Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately, they do not add to their base quickly enough so I unsubscribed. It's cheaper than many of the others. BBC is supposed to bring their iPlayer to the US soon so that will make a difference as well.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 AM

336 posts, read 648,886 times
I have a question about Hulu and I figure this is an appropriate place as any to ask the question.

One of the things I've heard about Hulu is that it has the current seasons of TV shows available for viewing, as opposed to Netflix which has the previous seasons available for viewing and not the season currently airing. I know that is possible on Amazon Prime, but there you have to pay for each episode.

So, if a new episode of Gotham (for example) could air on Monday night, could I watch it on Hulu on Tuesday or some other night that week as part of a regular membership?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or