U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
3. Maybe some sort of Ebay sales business BIL nets about $60k selling lawnmower parts on EBay (a lot of work) SIL nets about $10k selling garage sale 'specialty' clothing and jewelry;
...;
5. Day trading again Yeah, pretty tough / stressful, but you can reduce activities to a very narrow . high return subset of your normal day trades (maybe to a narrow 'options' board, some friend do ONLY EFT options in a very specific sector ~ $30 - $40k / yr);
6. I'm thinking of trying a personal business of running errands and driving elderly people...Me too, one of my areas has very low access to drivers / errand runners. I think it would be EZ to set up a Uber type app to run errands / airport / Costco delivery to rural places within 1 hr of metro - very time consuming AND will require extensive permits and regulatory approval (PUC / DOT)
7. Possible to do dog sitting or dog walking, ...

If you like to travel, consider pet / plant sitting. We met a couple in Belgium who have regular 'clients' in Tokyo, Bangkok, Hong Kong who like to have 3-6 weeks / yr pet / plant sitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 02:35 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,848,423 times
IMO, there is a big difference between retirees who work "to keep busy" and those who "work to make ends meet." Likewise, the priorities and attitudes vary widely.

There's certainly nothing wrong with retirees working for income or insurance. But, I wonder if many of these "semi-retirees" who insist they are only "working to keep busy" (in lieu of volunteering in a worthwhile organization - or pursuing individual interests and hobbies) ... are being fully honest with themselves and others.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 AM

748 posts, read 569,317 times
After 33 years of public agency social work, I retired three years ago. Have not looked back. Now I work part time with a private adoption agency doing birth parent and child placing services and home studies. I work from my house, with no toxic management, no commuting, time clocks, and work fee for service. I do as much or as little as I want and it keeps my busy enough but not stressed to the point of collapse like full time work in this field did to me. I retired at 56. Husband was working as a commercial Pilot but six years ago he got fed up with continual layoffs so is now working airside ops at our local airport, and for the first time in his life, at age 60 something, he is building up a pension and has health insurance. Our house is paid off, no kids, live in the sun, and have our health. Many of our circumstances are planned, others just happened, but we feel very fortunate. So we are bee bopping along until he wants to retire. We travel a lot and have friends and family in the US and in London, where we used to live. We don't have millions in the bank, but we don't have huge living expenses, either. I wear casual and he is supplied uniforms, so don't have high maintenance personal needs. We are both modest spenders and have few toys, and take good care of ourselves and our home. We are just making it work and so far so good. We don't consider ourselves old. We still have some of that "what do we want to be when we grow up" spirit going on. Not sure what else to say except retirement is really good, but who knows how it will be when it's his turn. We will need to start planning for eventual old age and health issues, but we believe the longer we stave that off the better by taking care of our health now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or