U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,530,097 times

Advertisements

I've been easing into retirement over the last two years; held a theme park job that kept me plenty busy last summer and have already been invited back come May; but at present, the inactivity is getting to me. I'd like to find and develop a more casual opportunity, but have to move carefully because a physical issue limits what I can handle.

So I'm wondering if any of the regulars here can offer advice on finding opportunities for keeping busy during a long slack season; also on balancing relations between multiple part-time jobs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
I would love to be helpful, but it seems to me your issue is something that each person has to work out for him/herself. Why do I say that? We don't know the type of things you enjoy doing, we don't know how limited you are by your "physical issue", and we don't know exactly how busy you wish to be during your periods of inactivity.

The first thing that comes to mind (and I admit this is not very imaginative) is volunteer work. Is there something in your area that could be set aside during the summer when you have your theme park job? The schools let out during summer.

Of course hobbies come to mind as well. Do I correctly assume that you have none at present? There are hundreds of hobbies. In your town are there service clubs like Lions, Elks, etc.? You get the gratification of doing for others ar the same time you get socialization.

Help us to be helpful by giving us a little more info.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 4,765,544 times
I would agree. It is not possible to help someone who has no interests in life except for trying to keep busy. I doubt this is something that happened just upon retirement which makes it even more sad.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:34 PM

5,621 posts, read 8,566,038 times
Learn that life's about more than work.

In warmer months I garden, do some volunteering (can't do much due to health) this winter (no garden) I've been cooking/canning a lot and learning tanning and leather work.
There's considerable study documentation that suggests that those who "live to work" have significantly more health problems when they retire.
And that also if they learn to channel their energies in other directions this is lessened.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:07 AM

2,461 posts, read 3,677,647 times
So when did Sloth become a virtue? I have always heard it was one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

We should all strive to be active in our retired years, although the limit of that activity is somewhat a personal thing based on interests, abilities, and opportunities. Kudos to the OP for staying active, and recognizing they do have physical limits as well as time limits to do other things.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 735,374 times
Retired last February at 54 years old. Wife did too. We moved to Florida, given a new location we have lots of things to explore in the area to keep us busy. We take more walks around our new community and state parks (our Lab really loves that), go biking, enjoy swimming in our pool, visit various local theme parks, take day trips, enjoy long weekends and travel more (cruises, all inclusives, visit family, etc). There still lots that we haven't yet explored (as an example a trip to the Keys in our our to do list).

After 40 years of steady work (and delivering papers for 4 years prior to that) I was ready to just chill for a while and I'm not in a hurry to find something to "keep me busy", I'm plenty busy already.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,691 posts, read 40,062,283 times
Working is GREAT for those who enjoy it and like to add some dough for fun.
I have always worked 3 or more jobs, (since age 15), so balancing comes natural, and I don't need / like to sleep much.
I still farm during daylight, so it is best 4 me... to have a (night / evening) job during the week, and other PT jobs on weekends. I LOVE to work weekends and holidays, better pay, fewer bosses, appreciative employer and customers.

I meet many very happy 'retiree' airport shuttle drivers. (rental cars, parking, tours)
Nice b-cuz they can choose the shift they prefer

A CDL (Commercial Driver's License) offers up a lot of other options if you like to drive, and the shuttle employer will usually pay for it.
School bus drivers are another job that works for some. Delivering RV's for those who like to travel by road trip.

Costco, Home Depot, Lowes (in that order) are some preferred jobs, Costco comes with benefits.

TSA has to be the most CAKE job in USA, but I don't see retirees staffing the overstuffed checkpoints.

many 'creative' positions available;
  • Mentor / tutor /adjunct teacher / prof
  • Garden / flower shop
  • Helping new businesses
  • Grant writing
  • Editing
  • Tour guide? (My DS LOVED a position of giving tours, many retirees we met overseas do this for international tour groups / cruises)

Need a change of scenery?
I met many retirees in the SW USA National Parks 'overwintering' in warmth and beauty.

Retire early, retire often!!! (I MIGHT get it right NEXT time)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM

197 posts, read 161,337 times
I have been retired from teaching at my private school for 18 months.I subbed periodically.
I have been asked to return for 10 hours a week until June with the real likelihood of more days for the next school year.
I started this week.It is fun money and I like the thought of being paid for what I do unlike volunteer work which is for love. I'm not be belittling volunteer work as I have done a lot of it all my life, even when working FT. I'm doing it now.

I am enjoying receiving a pay check again for what I do.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM

61 posts, read 30,749 times
FWIW, I work at a job where I am off during the summer season. I like to keep learning and use the extra time to take free web-based or other classes. This summer's project may be learning conversational French.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:54 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,772,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I've been easing into retirement over the last two years; held a theme park job that kept me plenty busy last summer and have already been invited back come May; but at present, the inactivity is getting to me. I'd like to find and develop a more casual opportunity, but have to move carefully because a physical issue limits what I can handle.

So I'm wondering if any of the regulars here can offer advice on finding opportunities for keeping busy during a long slack season; also on balancing relations between multiple part-time jobs. Thanks!
I have a particular job skill, so I worked temp/contract for two years. So I got paid more than a lot of other retiree jobs.

I also turned to day trading (conservatively and very carefully), when I was between jobs. That was profitable for me.

I'm trying to get settled in a new house. When I do, I plan on one of the following, whatever works out best:

1. Trying to get seasonal retail work (very low pay, but it's something);
2. Trying to get part time or temp clerical work (very low pay, but it's something; my new area won't have work for my specialty, so I lose out on that);
3. Maybe some sort of Ebay sales business (hopefully for just a bit of extra money; not large scale);
4. As a last resort, work at a fast food place, if they'll hire older people (very low pay, not interesting work obviously, exposure to unhealthy food which isn't good...this is only if I really need a few extra dollars for something);
5. Day trading again (just for a couple more years...very conservative and careful, and I am a bit experienced at this, so this is not for your average Joe);
6. I'm thinking of trying a personal business of running errands and driving elderly people in my new area (I haven't checked whether this would be worthwhile, or what the liabilities may be; may not be a good idea);
7. Possible to do dog sitting or dog walking, maybe (haven't checked into this in my new area yet; could be this service isn't needed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or