U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 PM

231 posts, read 170,958 times

Advertisements

Would you do this.pros /cons/can't decide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 PM

6,256 posts, read 4,734,369 times
I do. I have seen plenty of people over 90 traveling alone, including RV travel. What is your concern?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 PM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
I'm 60, and like traveling alone. Doubt that would change.

The reasons I like to travel alone, is that for one, I want my own room. Not that that can't be worked out if you travel with someone, but I want my own space to retreat to where I can watch what I want on TV, go to sleep when I want, not worry about snoring, etc.

Also, I don't want to have to negotiate every single bleeping thing, like when to eat and where to go when...that's tiring to me.

What I really like to do, is go on a trip with an organized group. The last time I did this for an overnight trip, it was with a wine tasting tour group. It was fantastic. I paid extra to have my own room. I was assigned a seat next to another single woman. We chatted on the bus. When the group went to wineries, I would just chat up whoever was around me. When we checked into the motel, I had the choice to join the group at dinner or hang out by the pool, or whatever. I tried a little of this and that, drunk with different groups, had fun, and went to bed when I felt like it.

I was safe, had company if I wanted it, but was free to do what I wanted, when I wanted to, without having to worry about what anyone else wanted to do, or hurting anyone's feelings, or listening to anyone talk about whatever if I didn't want to.

I will also go on trips with just me and my dog. I'll drive to a town about 5 hours away to see a show I want to see. I enjoy my drive with my dog, while listening to a book on tape or music, etc. Check into the hotel, take my dog for a walk, usually buy something to eat that I can just eat in my room while watching TV, go to my show, get up and take the dog for a walk somewhere pretty, and drive back home.

For me, I like being in complete control of my time and choices, and not having to worry about anyone else's needs. To me, that's true freedom.

But, that's me, and why I actually normally prefer traveling alone - or with just my dog, who lets me boss her around or put her in her crate when I don't want to deal with her LOL.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
At age 71, a year and a half ago, I took a road trip alone starting and ending in the Los Angeles area. The stops at which I visited people and/or musuems (as opposed to just spending the night) were, in order: Las Cruces, New Mexico; Fredricksburg, Texas; Austin, TX; College Station, Texas; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Nashville, Tennessee; Chatenooga, Tennessee; Blue Ridge, Georgia; Little Rock, Arkansas; and Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Then not too long after I got home an aunt died and I flew to Houston alone, rented a car at the airport and drove to Beaumont (Texas) for the funeral.

The weekend before Thanksgiving, 2016, I drove solo to the California wine country to visit a cousin and an old high school friend, spending two nights up there. It's about a seven-hour drive, including two stops for fuel/food/bathroom.

This coming summer I'll probably take another road trip east similar to the one I took at age 71. I'll be 73 by then.

Indeed, what is the concern?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:08 AM

231 posts, read 170,958 times
Wondering if I will feel odd man out on an esccorted tour and feeling lonely.

Last edited by snapdragon1; 01-24-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
There's only one way to know, and that's to try it. For what it's worth, I've never felt lonely or left out on any of the tours I've taken.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:17 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Quote:
Ah, now I understand what you mean by the thread title question. It wasn't at all clear; my previous response did not address the true question you were attempting to ask.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 AM

6,317 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
I don't think you will. I've been on a couple, not alone, but there were single travelers along, and they were quickly included with others in after hours activities. There was one girl that liked to do her own thing at night, so she just did that.

Have fun

Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 AM

3,456 posts, read 2,255,905 times
I've taken many domestic and overseas trips alone. For most of my European jaunts, I join a group at the first stop on the tour. I've never felt left out and have never been bored. I think it might be harder if you're a shy person, but I've had no problems or uncomfortable moments.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 AM

8,974 posts, read 7,745,489 times
I have advised several of my older male friends that my cruising experience says there are plenty of available woman on cruises. Two of them took my advice and booked the cheapest room they could share. They had a ball and still do it. Book when children are in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or