U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,208,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It doesn't look like they are going to repeal it soon, though. Looks like they don't know what to do. If they repeal it, millions of people won't have health care, and some will die.

Oh for goodness sakes. Hyperbole much?

Even Trump took heat for saying on 60 Minutes "We're not going to have people dying in the streets".

He's taking heat right NOW for saying "everyone will have healthcare".

RIGHT NOW and before Obamacare, nobody was DYING. Unless they ignored their conditions until the last minute. Which they're still doing TODAY.

Every hospital is required to accept people whether insured or not. When people get a simple FLU they're running to the ER. Even my very conservative GOP neighbor waited until she was half dead and ran to one of the neighborhood "emergency walk in" doctor offices and SHE has MEDICARE and INSURANCE! She had a stupid sinus infection. VERY simple to get treated IF YOU DON'T WAIT.

The PROBLEM was the bankruptcies filed for hospital bills and people wanting 100% of EVERYTHING "covered" by "insurance". Even office visits.

People are finding out while paying hundreds of dollars out of their own pockets for doctors visits and drugs -even though they have already paid for their insurance premiums.

Obamacare is collapsing. Insurance companies fleeing and too expensive.

MY prediction is: We'll end up with universal/single payer for all the people who refuse to buy insurance or can't...and free market insurance for company benefits or all the other people who can afford to buy it.

Medicare is NOT going away, for goodness sakes. Even Trump campaigned on that promise.

LOL people hate him when he says anything conservative and ignore anything he says that is in the least bit "Democrat".

There's no cure for ignorance or lack of responsibility. So there will always be a push and pull. Hopefully an improved economy, putting a moratorium on unlimited immigration requiring government support, and cutting out nonsense spending will help all of this.

There's no difference between THIS topic and the lack of planning you see running rampant in Boomers for their senior years which you can witness every day on the Caregiving Forum. Which is also an international problem; not just here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,445,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompl View Post
$4,690 won't mean much with a premium of $15,000 or $20,000.
In aggregate and on average across the USA we consume about $10,000 in health care services per person per year. So, in aggregate and on average, we need to pay about $10,000 in health insurance premiums per person per year PLUS administrative costs of the insurance company.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
IHe also reiterated his support for means-testing to qualify for Medicare."

[/u]At this point, I'm ready to accept means-testing for Medicare.
How does means-testing solve the problem?

Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It doesn't look like they are going to repeal it soon, though. Looks like they don't know what to do. If they repeal it, millions of people won't have health care, and some will die.

Your conclusion (in bold) is not borne out by the facts. Social Security actuarial tables keep track of this. When you look at the data and at the charts, there is no "blip" between pre-65 (when some people do not have health insurance) and post-65 (when everyone has access to Medicare). There is no measureable difference in mortality. It just isn't there.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
She had a stupid sinus infection. VERY simple to get treated IF YOU DON'T WAIT.
And it turns out most sinus infections are viral rather than bacterial, so antibiotics don't do any good anyway.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:38 AM

19,929 posts, read 14,242,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
BTW...this is not an issue of "poor choices."
Sure, it is.

It's a poor choice not to apply for Social Security Disability in your case.

It's a poor choice to retire at 62 under your specific circumstances.

It's a poor choice not to explore full-time jobs or additional part-time jobs.

It's a poor choice to act before the facts are known regarding the ACA.

Aside from that, the OP is just a thinly veiled political rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
At this point, I'm ready to accept means-testing for Medicare.
Means-testing won't save Medicare, but raising the HI Payroll Tax will.

It's folly to think healthcare for those over 65 years can be funded indefinitely with a 1.45% payroll tax each for employer and employee.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM

71,648 posts, read 71,777,271 times
UH OH! now you did it mircea . you used those words "poor choices "

Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,937,201 times
Chill out! Give it a few months, Chances are your insurance will decrease in cost - very unlikely to increase. I've been retired since age 58 and paid $1100 - $1300 a month for a good policy - and thank goodness I did that!. Two (totally unexpected) strokes and a heart attack. You'll get screwed unless you got a top tier policy, and in my case...you never know! Thank goodness for Medicare later this year.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:07 PM

588 posts, read 344,991 times
Oh, I knew that the specter of "poor choices" would rear its ugly head...couldn't even get to page 4 without a rant about poor choices.

Thanks for sharing Mircea.

Looks like I hit a nerve. Again. Lots of nerves on this forum!

Old 01-25-2017, 03:27 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,553,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I can understand the worry but it is possible your costs won't change too drastically.

Most of GOP replacement proposals have tax credits to offset costs of premiums that are based on age or a combination of age/income (as opposed to just income with ACA), and at age 61 you'll surely be in the tier with the most advantageous tax credits. For example under Senator Hatch's plan back in 2014 an individual your age would receive tax credits of $4,690 annually. Another upside (financially) is mandate will likely change where insurance plans won't be required to have things like prenatal care that you don't need so there might be plans with lower premiums that suit your needs.

The biggest downside for you is that the proposals widen the band on how much more insurers can charge for age, it is currently 3x but GOP proposals are 5x or 6x. Whether that is offset by age based tax credits and cheaper plans remains to be seen since final numbers are still unknown.
I'll be 65 in about five months. Before that I need durable medical things which I cannot do without. As I couldn't afford them when Oklahoma decided not to update medicade to cover a higher income, family helped. But as things get worse, I need more and do not like needing their help.

The ACA policy I got last year was not productive, but didn't cost me anything. The one this year looks much better. I'm just about to pay the monthly 20 dollars and look up doctors, and the orange thing starts messing with the ACA system. Now I'm stuck. If I spend the money, then the unpredictable and whimsical one in orange could decide to change something. They say when you call that if you send the premium cost, they will be in operation but who knows.

So right now, I have a really bad problem. And this thing about tax premiums. What about those who are disabled and do not pay taxes. Does that mean they'll pay us back for anything medical we had to pay out?????? Or are we just chump change and don't matter to those who need tax credits.

Tax credits will not ever fill this gap unless states are forced to expand medicade and give real support to those who need and must have medications and devices, but are likely unable to work and will not be served by those. They are NOT an acceptable replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or