Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you are concerned about the ACA going away without an equivalent replacement, call or email your representative and senators to express your concern. They respond to their constituents. They especially respond when the email and phone systems crash due to overload.

Find Your Representative - Zip Code Lookup

https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

(202) 224-3121 (they will connect you directly)
Absolutely this. I don't understand why so many are hesitant to take this very easy step. Calls are best, and I've been told letters must be opened and read. I'm not sure how much attention emails get, to be honest.

I have heard from so many people about their ACA concerns, many of who voted for the current administration despite knowing they ran on a platform to repeal it. I didn't understand it in November, and I don't understand it now, but if those affected would add their voices to many who already have called their reps, maybe some good will come of it. it can't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 09:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I'm heading over to Starbuck's tomorrow to see about a part-time job!
Other options for those of us that get nauseous at the hint of a coffee smell.
11 Best Part-Time Jobs With Health Insurance Benefits
Part Time Jobs That Offer Benefits
https://outofyourrut.com/20-part-tim...surance-2015/#
Forbes Welcome

Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I am curious....

I am 61 years of age and work a part time job. I took early retirement since my field does not want me.

With healthcare on subsidy I can make it to Medicare. Without it I will spend down my retirement savings to early into a forced retirement and for a chronic condition that I inherited from my father at 10 years of age and it has progressively worsened and has precluded me from many jobs. I do not qualify for disability nor do I seek it. I will take SS in 8 months and counting because I am going to need it.

Do any of you have plans "after" Obamacare.

Please do not give me any rhetoric on "poor choices." This is not a question about judgement of one person's life.

I am looking for straight forward, realistic information as to how to get medical care once Obamacare has been gutted.

Thank you for down to earth thoughts on this matter.
Last time I checked, I had available to me only a few short term plans. Short term plans are just that: they are for about 6 mos, and you renew every 6 mos. If yu have big claims, they won't let you renew. The cost is reasonable, but the prescription drug list is so small as to be not very useful, etc. They are basically just SOMETHING, and mainly used for regular dr visits, the flu, etc.

If Obamacare is repealed, I expect some regular policies will pop up, to get all the business from people. I don't know if they'll go back down to the pre-ACA pricing, though. Once they've tasted the premiums they got from Obamacare, they may not to give that up. Still, we can cut costs by not buying the coverage we don't need, like maternity care, drug rehab, mental health care.

It doesn't look like they are going to repeal it soon, though. Looks like they don't know what to do. If they repeal it, millions of people won't have health care, and some will die.

I expect that for those who have it already for the year they repeal it, those people will be grandfathered in and get to keep it for that year. But I wonder if the care providers will continue to accept it that year.

Do you have a lot of years to go until 65?

My main worry is that they are going to cut Medicare. That would be catastrophic for many, and I don't know what I'd do, then.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I think Massachusetts will revert to what we had pre-Obama, aka "Romneycare," which works about the same was as the ACA and might have even been a bit better in some ways.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:29 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i have just 9 months left on these expensive crappy plans and then medicare it is . i am holding off anything i need done since with these crappy plans today the deductibles are so high along with the out of pockets that basically anything i need over the next 9 months i am paying for despite the insurance .

at 510 a month for insurance i have a 4200.00 deductible and 4500 out of pocket . you could get other deals with lower deductibles but then you pay for prescriptions pre meeting the duductible and have higher out of pockets . they also do not include any free pcp visits .

so while there are choices for about the same 500 plus a month premium they all get you one way or another

Old 01-25-2017, 08:57 AM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Before Obamacare I was married. At that time we were paying $25,000 a year for my former husband and myself. That was just the premium and did not include out of pocket. We had full coverage. The only way we were able to pay this amount was because when my former husband worked he made $1000 a day but no benefits.

The ex now has coverage through his employer. I live in Indiana so dear Mr. Pence will have a field day gutting Obamacare. On the other hand this may be one of the most advantageous states to reside since Mr. Pence still has "skin in the game" in this very very red red state.

BTW...this is not an issue of "poor choices."

Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Do any of you have plans "after" Obamacare.

Please do not give me any rhetoric on "poor choices." This is not a question about judgement of one person's life.

I am looking for straight forward, realistic information as to how to get medical care once Obamacare has been gutted.

Thank you for down to earth thoughts on this matter.
First, I think it is way premature to forecast that Obamacare will, as you say, be "gutted." Most everyone agrees that Obamacare is broken and it needs to be fixed. It did not achieve its goal of being "affordable" and most people who buy insurance complain of its high deductibles and high premiums.

Second, whatever the system will be has not yet been designed. We do not know what it will look like. No decisions have been made. There are a handful of design objectives. For example, President Trump has publicly stated the new system (yet to be designed) will preserve key popular elements of Obamacare:
  • It will allow adult children to stay on parent's plans until 26 (at least)
  • No one will be turned down for pre-existing conditions
  • Everyone will be able to get coverage

Until the new system has been designed, none of us have any idea what is to come or what it will cost.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:22 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Which State do you live in?

I don't think the ACA will immediately disappear. But I'll bet that Massachusetts has a better plan than say Texas.
"better" depends on your point of view: is it better if you are a physician? pharmaceutical sales rep? high income taxpayer? etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
<snip>
Do you have a lot of years to go until 65?

My main worry is that they are going to cut Medicare. That would be catastrophic for many, and I don't know what I'd do, then.
I'm guessing you are already aware of this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.3593a3fa898a

"Mulvaney would bring a stridently hawkish voice to the Office of Management and Budget. On Tuesday, he said he remains in favor of raising the retirement age for Social Security to 70 but emphasized that he would not reduce benefits for current recipients. He also reiterated his support for means-testing to qualify for Medicare."

At this point, I'm ready to accept means-testing for Medicare.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:42 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think Massachusetts will revert to what we had pre-Obama, aka "Romneycare," which works about the same was as the ACA and might have even been a bit better in some ways.

Romneycare only worked because 50% of it was subsidized by the federal government.

THAT was the fallacy when the administration claimed Obamacare was based on Romneycare. THAT'S why they had to use "subsidies" for Obamacare.

Why don't people know this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement