U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:26 PM

39,699 posts, read 2,998,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleneoftroy View Post
i thought there was some kinda agreement in which the money ive paid in canada to canada taxes are counted in the us no?

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...ed-states.html

But then you will have to pick which one you want of the two, so either Cdn or US. No double dipping.

Why do you think you are entitled to money if you never paid into it?

eta: there is a phone number on that website, call it, they will know more than random internet posters.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,754,399 times
Quote:
hi there,,

i was born in usa,MS,,in 1944,,came to canada in 1954 and lived all my life here. I am a canadian citizen and receive old age pension here,,my question is, can i apply for US old age pension too even if I never worked there?
America doesn't have an "old age pension." You are in the better country, for old age purposes. Health care and a pension. You will live a good senior life.

In America, you have to set aside money in your younger days to pay for complete health care in your senior years. Even with that, you likely will not be able to afford a nursing home, until you are out of assets entirely, including your home.

America has Social Security for WORKERS, who worked in America. A tax was taken out of the workers' paychecks and set aside to give it back to them in their senior years, as a SUPPLEMENT to the money they saved personally. (A tax was taken from the employer, too, for Social Security, to add to the workers' taxes.) A worker has to have contributed for a certain # of years to qualify for the Social Security supplemental income.

America has Medicare, which provides PARTIAL health care. It is up to the citizen to save his own money to pay for COMPLETE or almost complete health care.

If a worker doesn't have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved for retirement, he will not have full health care, the ability to go into a nursing home, or have enough income to live comfortably (but not extravagantly) in his senior years.

You are in the better place. Bend down and kiss the Canadian ground and thank your lucky stars you were able to get to a safe place. Social Security as we know it is about to be discontinued, and Medicare will be lessened from its already low coverage.

America also pays the highest prices on the planet for pharmaceuticals, because of the strong lobby of Big Pharma here, which owns both political parties. Canadians pay more reasonable prices.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:24 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,708,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

America also pays the highest prices on the planet for pharmaceuticals, because of the strong lobby of Big Pharma here, which owns both political parties. Canadians pay more reasonable prices.
Not exactly:

Why Do Drugs Cost Less in Canada?

Old 01-27-2017, 02:30 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

You are in the better place. Bend down and kiss the Canadian ground and thank your lucky stars you were able to get to a safe place. Social Security as we know it is about to be discontinued, and Medicare will be lessened from its already low coverage.
!. As for the bolded, not so.

2. As for the alleged "low coverage" of Medicare, not so either unless by that you mean it doesn't cover very much nursing home care. I have been enrolled in Medicare for almost eight years, and the coverage is complete, although I do have minimal co-pays.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:35 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,774,658 times
Quote:
hi there,,

i was born in usa,MS,,in 1944,,came to canada in 1954 and lived all my life here. I am a canadian citizen and receive old age pension here,,my question is, can i apply for US old age pension too even if I never worked there?
US pension? Where did you work that you accumulated a pension from the USA?

Old 01-27-2017, 02:36 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,774,658 times
Quote:
WELL, then it is weird,because i have met cuban people who arrived at the age of 67 in miami, are not even citizens and are receiving a 700 usd pension ..
There are entirely different laws with Cuba than Canada! They are NOT receiving a US pension. You have to work in the US for a US company that offers a pension.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:43 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
" If you have lived or worked in the United States AND in Canada....."

This first line answers the questions. It says "and Canada" not "or Canada." So what I think it's saying is that these rules apply only if someone had worked in both countries.
My sister living now in Canada has worked in both the US and Canada so she is eligible for SS and Canada's old age pension.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:29 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Since November I have proposed marriage to FOUR different Canadian women...
one of whom I've actually met in person (in 2004).
This might work. SS Spousal benefit for OP and citizenship/residency for you.
If you know of any available Canadian men, let them know they can send me a PM.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:13 PM

18,287 posts, read 8,235,345 times
Quote:
i thought there was some kinda agreement in which the money ive paid in canada to canada taxes are counted in the us no?

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...ed-states.html
In a word - NO.

BTW - isn't it a bit late to be asking this question? Maybe you should have asked, say, on your 55th birthday?

Old 01-27-2017, 06:23 PM

19,852 posts, read 18,874,270 times
This is getting to be too political. The OP asked a simple question. Many countries have an old age pension and just because the US does not, is no reason to be rude to the OP. Posts have been deleted.

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-27-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or