Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

Note: Not sure if in correct forum, however, posting here due to the fact that many have dealt with this issue (parents, spouses, etc)

Have gotten 2 different opinions from attorneys - thought we were all set.

However, one attorney stated that once the person dies, the POA also "dies" (we did know this) but then anything with the deceased person's name on it has to go through probate.

So, in other words, it sounds like the person with POA has to transfer all assets into his/her name to avoid probate, right?

Person who has POA is only child and yes, mentioned in the will that all goes to him.

Has anyone gone through this in FLORIDA?

You can PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:51 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
In general you are correct that the POA dies and all the assets in the deceased name has to go through probate.

Does the power allow the child to transfer assets to his name? Unlikely that this is a good move legally so I would ask an attorney for a written opinion.

The transfer would be a gift and subject to the gift tax rules. Probably no tax but forms to file. You also would lose the step up in basis.

Their is a summary probate you can do without and attorney. Assets have to be under 75,000. House does not count as part of the 75,000.

Best to title assets in owners name with a TOD (transfer on Death) or naming the child as beneficiary to avoid probate on those assets.

You might want to state if the assets are under 75,000 and in general what assets you are discussing and how are they titled and who is the beneficiary to get a better answer.

Is the person deceased? If not start changing the account titles. Be careful the child should not become an owner of the account only a beneficiary or a TOD.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Smile Assets over 75K not including house

The child in this case is my husband, the only child and named in the will as such. If something happens to my husband first, the assets go to our 2 children (in their 20's) - (No, I was not listed!!)

The 2nd attorney we talked to is the one who talked about transferring the assets into my husband's name before my FIL passes away. The TOD or POD account is also fine.

My husband has been a joint account holder on these accounts since 2005.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:14 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Have you consulted an Elderlaw attorney? They specialize in such issues as avoiding probate and long-range planning for estates.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM

Smile Attorneys

Met with 2 attorneys but they dealt with wills, trusts, etc. Not actually identified as an elderlaw attorney.

The initial meeting was years ago and we got certain things set up, however, the 2nd attorney was someone over the phone just a few days ago who brought up other issues.

We do not have much time left and thought we were prepared.

Here's the issue: The single family home is titled in both names - FIL and my husband. Long time since 2005. The home is in disrepair and needs work, however, FIL will not allow any work. We thought OK, once he passes, then we can do the renovations and get it rented. However, this may go to probate with what I am hearing and that could take a while. Trying to avoid all that. (could be some code violations from the city also - not sure - due to disrepair).

Old 01-21-2017, 06:12 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Florida recognizes transfer on death financial accounts (bank, brokerage, etc.). That sets up the transferee as a beneficiary on the account, which usually just requires the beneficiary to present a death cert to get the account. Florida does not allow a transfer on death deed for real property.

How the property ownership moves after your FIL's death depends on how the house is titled with your husband. If the house is titled jointly with right of survivorship (and I think, in Florida, it has to be expressly stated), then your husband will become sole owner on your FIL's death. Until then, he is an owner and can be sued, fined, etc. If there are no survivorship rights, then your husband owns half of the property and your FIL owns half. Your FIL's half will have to be dealt with in the will. You can still get the house retitled to meet your needs if your FIL is willing. You could also consider transferring full ownership to your husband and having your FIL retain a life estate. An elder law attorney should be able to discuss the options.

Last edited by jiminnm; 01-21-2017 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Sounds like the attorneys are not giving you good advice. I would look for an elder attorney who also understands taxes as related to estates.

Sounds like you can get your estate under 75,000 plus the house. Not sure how the house gets counted since your husband is on the title. My recommendation is to change the accounts to TOD and remove your husband's name. My assumption is that the money was 100% contributed by his farther. He can retain check signing rights with the POA.

I would say the title to the home goes back to his father but this can be a problem so I would consult with an attorney. Might consider a Lady Bird deed. This is not the legal name but do a google. This should avoid probate. I do not know costs but it cost just as much to do this as to let the house go through probate.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 PM

168 posts, read 174,509 times
When my father died he owned a modular home in an over 55 neighborhood. He had but me on the deed. I found out that it is important what conjunction (and/or) is used. If "or" is used then the survivor owns the property in its entirety. If "and" is used the 1/2 of the property is owned outright by the survivor and 1/2 is probated by the will. My dad used "or" so it was much easier for me. Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,524 times
We are going through this now. My mother passed away and my father has refused to have anything to do with probate. Not sure how this is going to eventually pan out. They owned property together.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Smile Quit claim deed 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suevee View Post
When my father died he owned a modular home in an over 55 neighborhood. He had but me on the deed. I found out that it is important what conjunction (and/or) is used. If "or" is used then the survivor owns the property in its entirety. If "and" is used the 1/2 of the property is owned outright by the survivor and 1/2 is probated by the will. My dad used "or" so it was much easier for me. Hope this helps.
The word "and" was used.

I am being told that my husband (has the POA) can actually change this from his dad to himself.
It can't be done for a few days, however, and we don't have a lot of time left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement