U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,173,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Mine are. Falls are so bad for us old people, on real old people it often leads to all kinds of complications that sometimes lead to the final.
I do exercises each morning and evening to strengthen my legs and I suppose it helps. I also take a half hour walk every day with my dogs.
Still I know my legs are much weaker than only a few years ago. And my balance and weight shifting is much poorer than I think it should be at 73.
Leg weakness is not the major reason for falls in the elderly. Loss of balance is and that can come from a variety of Neurological conditions, many of them serious. My husband has serious loss of balance and fall. He has Parkinson's disease. That is just one of Many such illnesses that cause this Loss of balance.

So is you have lots of falls, especially if they are backwards, get to a Dr. and get checked for the Neurological illnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 PM

2,496 posts, read 2,532,653 times
If only it was as simple as "weakness." A lot of good posts pointing out possible causes.

Meds, neurological problems, vision, blood pressure, environment, hearing problems separate from inner ear problems that also cause problems.

But it sure isn't hopeless. Almost all, if not all, can be improved upon, if not completely remediated.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:53 PM

21,867 posts, read 14,390,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Muscle weakness is a well known side effect of taking statins:

Statin Victims Fight Back – Share your story
I did not have muscle weakness, but I definitely had muscle pain.

Statins are not for every one.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:29 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
All these comments on statins....when they do the research to see if the benefits of statins are worth it, in terms of lowering cholesterol and more importantly actually lowering heart disease, what about all these other side effects?

A fall for a senior can result in broken bones and an continued downward spiral of dependence and poor health, maybe death from pneumonia if they are immobile long enough. THESE things must be considered before putting someone on meds that may lower cholesterol a few points and MIGHT stave off heart disease.
It's my understanding that statins lower CoQ10. And you can supplement it and perhaps reverse the muscle decline. But the real question is how necessary is it to take the statins?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:42 AM

9,601 posts, read 17,182,874 times
Haven't had time to read the replies, but do you get enough protein? I ask b/c I think a lot of people don't--we live in a pretty carb rich environment but you need protein to keep and build muscle.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 PM

5,953 posts, read 5,307,586 times
Whatever the reason for weak legs don't be one of those people that refuse to use a cane. Almost everyday I see some old person taking half steps that looks like they will fall over any minute.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,759,890 times
Weak legs, of course can be a result of neurological illness.
Being 67 myself, I have had periods where I have become sedimentary. I have come to regret those periods of inactivity as my joints and legs have gotten weak.
It is not a guarantee, but I try to walk at least 10,000 steps a day and do a little bike work at the gym 3 days a week. I usually feel better after workouts, and I haven't had leg pains in awhile. Talk to a physician and get his/her advice about exercise.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:29 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times
I discovered a supplement that really helps with leg problems. It's called Venastat and can be purchased at Jet.com and Walmart.com. It contains what is called 'horse chestnut' which has proven to help. (it's not just for varicose veins)

Also magnesium supplements can really help with leg problems.

Both of the above can help alleviate swollen ankles, feet, calves, and help with leg circulation. And tingling and restless leg.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 PM

25,039 posts, read 23,933,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Many reasons for the fall too, not just the weak legs. I make sure my kids don't leave something that can trip my husband. Eye/ leg coordination is another problem.
That has been my problem a couple of times. I've tripped on the (black) cat in the middle of the night.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:34 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
I go to an exercise class twice a week. Part of it involves working on our balance. It really helped this morning.

My small dog that is going blind, decided to park himself under my foot just as I was crossing the baby gate. I went down to one knee, but didn't hurt myself. Dog is okay, but this is the second time this week he has done this. I have to be more careful. I think he just hears me coming down the hall and runs over.

I also was juggling too much stuff - coffee cup, clothes, phone etc. Trying to get over the gate without a "crutch". Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement