Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:41 AM

8,254 posts, read 6,309,486 times

Advertisements

Mine are. Falls are so bad for us old people, on real old people it often leads to all kinds of complications that sometimes lead to the final.
I do exercises each morning and evening to strengthen my legs and I suppose it helps. I also take a half hour walk every day with my dogs.
Still I know my legs are much weaker than only a few years ago. And my balance and weight shifting is much poorer than I think it should be at 73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,748,412 times
According to: https://www.healthgrades.com/symptoms/leg-weakness

"Leg weakness can occur as part of a generalized feeling of weakness all over your body, or it may develop in one or both legs. True weakness occurs when the muscles lose their strength, but people often perceive that their muscles are weak when they feel ill or tired. In these cases there is not a true loss of muscle function. The sudden onset of muscle weakness can be a sign of stroke, a potentially life-threatening condition in which part of the brain is deprived of oxygen."

Old 01-31-2017, 10:56 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,163,952 times
Have you considered TaiChi? Its an excellent exercise for seniors, and particularly helps to strengthen legs and maintain your balance.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:56 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,321,279 times
Good question! Here are some answers.

https://nihseniorhealth.gov/falls/ca...actors/01.html

Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,664,722 times
Many reasons for the fall too, not just the weak legs. I make sure my kids don't leave something that can trip my husband. Eye/ leg coordination is another problem.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,206,596 times
You can tell your legs are weaker if you're always using your arms to push off the arm rests of a chair when you are getting up. You want to be sure to use your thighs as much as possible - they're one of the biggest muscles in your body along with your glutes (butt).

So - why are people suddenly gaga over the "comfort height" toilets? Because their thighs are weak! Don't think of these toilets as a luxury item - instead keep your thighs strong and you won't need them. If you break a hip you can always get very cheap toilet seat risers later. Don't reinforce getting weaker!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 AM

10,292 posts, read 8,452,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Mine are. Falls are so bad for us old people, on real old people it often leads to all kinds of complications that sometimes lead to the final.
I do exercises each morning and evening to strengthen my legs and I suppose it helps. I also take a half hour walk every day with my dogs.
Still I know my legs are much weaker than only a few years ago. And my balance and weight shifting is much poorer than I think it should be at 73.
Maybe do some light weight training for your legs?
Also try to walk in areas with some gentle hills.
I've done weights all my life and they are about the same strength. Still leg press 800 lbs, but not 1,000.
I recently started walking about an hour and a half a day 5 days a week. I'm a really slow walker but get my 10000 steps or more in on gentle hills.
I think I'm going to work on stretching as I think it will really enhance my walking and stair climbing.
I hear you on the balance thing, mine has never been great.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,321,279 times
I see many people in my retirement complex with walkers, canes and in wheelchairs. I wonder what their conditions are that put them there.

I think my legs are strong because never having owned or driven a car, I walk everywhere. If it's too far, I'll take a bus. I've seen my friends get in their cars just to drive a few blocks to the grocery store to pick up a few small items. If there is no other unavoidable underlying condition to prevent it, maybe not using your legs enough when you're young makes them get weak when you're old.

When I was younger, walking a few miles a day to get to someplace I needed to go was no big deal. Now I can usually do that but a little less often. I depends as to whether or not my lungs will allow it.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:51 AM

15,993 posts, read 10,550,537 times
A couple other things to consider and both contribute to my specific leg weakness issues: First - Statin drugs might be the cause -- my prescription was changed and I started falling and lost strength and some feeling in my legs and it hasn't come back as I hoped after getting off statins. Secondly, I had back surgery years ago (1980s) and with age and some increased weight the nerves are not reacting like they should (radiculopathy). Leg muscles are sluggish, knees slip, calf muscles cramp and need to be stretched to avoid heel pain. Stretching and being more active is helpful as well as anti-inflammatory drugs on occasion (Advil or Aleve?). Buy an adjustable walking/hiking stick at Wal-Mart and hit the bricks if you can. Walk in a safe place until you are feeling stronger. I also think Tai Chi with a group would be helpful because it is slow and mindful movement.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:54 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,837,799 times
Balance is an important part of the equation as we age. Someone mentoned tai chi. Yoga is also very good for balance. We need to practice balance, just as we need to perform exercises to keep our muscle strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement