Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:37 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Take up endless posting on C-D. Kind of like drinking but no hangover.
I enjoyed your humor here, but there is truth too, as I imagine you intended. Many posters have stated that posting on C-D can become addictive.

I post a lot but I don't let it interfere with getting exercise or with getting out of the house to de interesting and worthwhile things. As long as that remains the case, there is no health downside to frequent posting like there is with drinking to the point where hangovers occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 06:51 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I know how you feel, because I was plunged into retirement before I was ready.
After awhile, you'll lose the feeling of being left out of the rest of the world.
I'm female, but this is what I do....
Always have a good book going.
Watch the food shows and make a new recipe every few days.
It goes without saying, you should be doing all the housework, shopping and laundry.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:54 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
See if you can get a part time job at a golf course or golf driving range. You might have to ask over several months or longer but they may hire you. Just don't take anymore than 2 or 3 days. Meet people and gets you out. Might be surprised to see after about a year of showing up on time and clean dressed local business owners offer you other work..

Old 02-03-2017, 07:24 AM

462 posts, read 550,162 times
Golf, volunteer work, part time work, reading, classes/clubs.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 AM

348 posts, read 256,034 times
Do you have hobbies? Have you tried Meetup in your area to find like minded people who enjoy the same thing you do? The internet is a great place to find activities in your city or area.

This would be a great time to exercise and get healthier. If you are a loner you can walk around your neighborhood or go to a local park. Do it everyday until it becomes a habit. If you live near hiking trails do your walking/hiking in the woods if it is safe.

If you are not a loner this would be a good time to join a gym and add exercising to your agenda. You might meet people there who cycle or run/walk/hike in groups outside the gym. Becoming a part of a fitness group will motivate you when you do not want to exercise.

Sometimes you have to take the first step to get involved in activities. If you don't like something than move on to something else.

If you love animals go to a local shelter and offer to volunteer. They always need help. I get emails from groups that need people to drive dogs across the county to get them to their adopted home. You meet the next person in the next town and transfer the dog(s) to their vehicle. You only need a good vehicle and gas money. Travel is usually 50-60 miles one way and you save a dog(s) life. Priceless.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
If you want to do volunteer work, start slow and don't make a long term commitment. You want to be able to make a graceful exit if you find out the group just isn't working for you.

Also take care of things at home - boring yea - but someone has to do it.

Be good to your wife too.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 AM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Try Olli they offer many classes at a reasonable cost, Find an Osher Institute Near You | Osher National Resource Center

or look for bird walking groups, look for you local Audubon chapter. Yes, go to the senior center & see if any of their activities appeal to you.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How does someone retire and have nothing to do? ...

Find things you like to do, and then do them.
What do you LIKE to do and what gives you satisfaction?, for some it's teaching, for others golf, others reading and travel, others WORK (physically or mentally engaged). Volunteering at local national historic sites is popular and fun, as is Master Gardening. I would get a night job at Costco (benefits)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
If you want to do volunteer work, start slow and don't make a long term commitment. ...
Also take care of things at home - boring yea - but someone has to do it.

Be good to your wife too.

We take turns traveling separately, and meet up on occasion too

Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 AM

329 posts, read 470,724 times
Get a camera and go capture the world around you.. then every few months or so, put them in a book.. You can order those cheap at Costco or online..
It would be a personal priceless gift you that you have something to leave behind one day.

Last edited by therese marie; 02-03-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 11:06 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Start your own business. If no one else will hire you hire yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement