U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM

219 posts, read 133,049 times

Advertisements

My father did stained glass until his arthritis put a stop to that. I do torch-worked (Lampworking) marbles, pendants and other objects. Find a hobbie that totally involves you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM

34,722 posts, read 33,760,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Take a class.

Or teach one without pay. Most, but not all, of the retirement classes I take involve making a presentation on a subject area of expertise. Many involve retiree instructors. It could be something you did at work or it could be hobby related. It takes a little time to prepare one. I once taught a hands-on retiree class (6 sessions) how to use the Internet to research a road trip vacation. They had to sign up for the class each with their own destination in mind for a trip the next year. This way, I knew the retired students would benefit from the class.

I've taken retirement classes from retired history professors who like a particular period of history or a single battle, retired engineers who worked for the TVA, fishermen who have taught fly tying, wedding photographers and nature photographer hobbyists who have taught photography classes, a head of a college pharmacy department who taught a class on how new drugs become public (research, marketing, etc.), the local police who taught different sessions on different departments including one session where they brought a drug sniffing dog in to demonstrate training and the dog finding drugs, etc. This semester a retired Senior Intelligence Service officer in the CIA is teaching a class on Perspectives of Espionage, a retired physicist is teaching a class on his classical music hobby called, "Schubert and the Piano" and a man who retired from the National Lab in my town is teaching a class, not on what he did at work but, "Photography: Capturing What Interests You." There are even classes this semester as diverse as "Creative Crocheting," "Wool Preparation: Sheep To Shawl" and "An Introduction To Fusion Energy."

Retirees love to learn and teach.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:19 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,187,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Take up drinking.
Maybe smoking or vaping some herbs.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How does someone retire and have nothing to do? What did you do all your working life, besides work. You must have had weekends off. Surely theres activities you did and enjoyed? Now you can even spend more time doing them.

Find things you like to do, and then do them.
No doubt.

I have two sets of lists.

One set is work stuff.

The other set is not-work stuff.

Needless to say, in my line of work, it's easy to jam for 70 - 80 hours a week before you know it.

So of course, my not-work set of lists keeps growing. It's like I'm using an ice axe to chip away at a growing glacier.

Retirement = getting some thermonuclear weapons to chip away at that glacier.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Are the posters claiming to be bored and not have anything to do live in rural areas?
I can't wait to get out of the city and move to my 5000 acre ranch on the lake ... the crime ... the weirdos ... the ..... people wearing strange cloth thingey's on their heads ... the fixie bikes .... the food trucks ... the Democrats .... in any case, give me boredom and give me death!

/sarc

Old 02-08-2017, 03:39 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Maybe smoking or vaping some herbs.

we live in a recreational marijuana state. Just come right out and say SMOKE POT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement