U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 AM

35 posts, read 36,618 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am about 2 years away from retirement. Zero debts and have saved for many years. I find that I always worry about if I have enough to travel in the style and amount I do while working. I like to do several international trips per year and stay in nice hotels or resorts. Every time I go over the budgets for traveling it will be my biggest expense outside any unforeseen health costs. Just wondering if others worry about spending so much on travel when no longer working.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 AM

71,516 posts, read 71,694,121 times
we absolutely have to set spending goal posts as maximums .

we can easily exceed our budget , we love going places . our list of places to go and things to do is far greater than our budget can support .

so we use a dynamic withdrawal system based on each years balance . that sets our boundary's for spending in total .

Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 AM

10,133 posts, read 12,381,010 times
We are getting very ready to retire and in fact we are putting an offer on the table for a condo back home near the grandkids today.

Getting ready to be on a fixed income I am becoming fixated on our budget. Can we do this? Is it possible? So scared to say the least.

I have everything covered and what we have on a monthly basis is:

Food $650
Entertainment/Travel $433
Hobbies/Clothes $216
Emergencies $303
Total $1,602

Of course these numbers can be moved and adjusted, which will be the case, but if we travel for two weeks we should be able to move have the food money over to entertainment/Travel but in all seriousness I don't see us traveling more than $2,500 annually and that would be to family weddings and what not. That and we are moving the 800 miles to be close to family so the only travel I see is winter to get some warmth.

For car travel I don't have but $200/month which includes insurance but we will be within one mile of great shopping, six miles of the grandchildren and twenty miles for 80% of the rest of the family.

Clothes? For me I want tennis shoes, white socks, shorts and a sport shirt. Oh, and a bathing suit because the complex does have a pool and I love swimming. The only time I ever want to get dressed work like is 1)church and 2)weddings. Other than that I will be the definition of laid back and don't care what I look like. I might even grow a pony tail.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 AM

5,394 posts, read 21,390,738 times
We have had to limit our travel expenditures as it is easy to spend too much. Not too long ago we had a year where 15% of our income went to travel. This year it will be closer to 3%.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:06 AM

this why those silly discussions in the retirement forum on how much you need are nonsense .

for many retiree's life is so much more than paying the bills , getting buy and an occasional trip or 2 .

many of us set goals and want lists for retirement that include far more for the minimum standards of what we want out of our retirement . our travel and spending on the grand kids was as much a part of the plan as living in a nice place in a nice area was .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-03-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,529,612 times
On a limited budget, travel becomes a real luxury. When I was working (seasonally) I left for the winter every year and that was over $10,000 annually. I can never do that now that I'm retired. I wanted to, but I just don't think its realistic. We may be able to budget about $400 a month to travel, but that ain't much! And I haven't been into hostels or camping for quite some time now!

We'd like to see the Galapagos, Amazon and Machu Picchu but not sure how that will work out....

Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 AM

8,393 posts, read 9,139,362 times
We don't travel much-not in the sense of jumping on a cruise ship or flying off to Europe. To see the grandkids, yes.

However we do live in vacation land and don't really feel the need to go somewhere else to "get away from it all". That was the plan and here we are. Yosemite or high Sierras are and hour or two away.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 AM

we live in nyc and feel the need to travel all we can despite that fact . this is a big country and even bigger world . being in to photography makes it even better for us

Old 02-03-2017, 09:25 AM

4,360 posts, read 3,696,311 times
I think figuring out how much you can spend is a problem since we do not know the future.

I think you have to figure out an annual budget and then adjust the number of trips to fit the budget. The more you want to travel the more you will have to control each trips expenses.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:50 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,401,550 times
I feel like we are in a catch 22 situation- we want to front end load most of our travel plans into the first 5-10 years of our retirement while we are still young and flexible enough to get squashed into coach seats while on the other hand- putting off collecting SS until late 60's-70 while closely monitoring 401K withdrawals. Something has gotta give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or