U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Wildside of Oahu
1,412 posts, read 2,785,970 times
Reputation: 2433

Advertisements

First, I'd like to rant to the negative nellies on this board, who, instead of offering suggestions as OP requested, hijack the thread to try to convince someone to stay where they are unhappy.


So if you move some place and don't like it, you move again. We live in Hawaii and we are a 6 hr flight to any family and about 40 minutes to a poorly run hospital. Believe me, Hawaii ain't 1st world in many respects. But there's not an anchor in my azz, so I can move anytime I want.


But, to answer the OP, Americans can emmigrate to Holland by opening a business and investing 5K or more. You can even open an internet business.


France welcomes retirees who can show they have enough money to live on without needing French aid. That could mean SS, investments, rental income etc. And there is no problem buying property there either.


Spain is fairly easy as well. I think the last time I looked you needed about 2K per month. But it doesn't have to be only a pension or SS, it could be that plus interest or investments.


I would also suggest to the OP to do some airm chair research. Start by visiting some of these countrys embassy websites. Thats a good place to get real time, unbiased instruction on what is or is not possible.


Bon voyage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2017, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Western Asia
3,187 posts, read 1,447,142 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
First, I'd like to rant to the negative nellies on this board, who, instead of offering suggestions as OP requested, hijack the thread to try to convince someone to stay where they are unhappy.


So if you move some place and don't like it, you move again. We live in Hawaii and we are a 6 hr flight to any family and about 40 minutes to a poorly run hospital. Believe me, Hawaii ain't 1st world in many respects. But there's not an anchor in my azz, so I can move anytime I want.


But, to answer the OP, Americans can emmigrate to Holland by opening a business and investing 5K or more. You can even open an internet business.


France welcomes retirees who can show they have enough money to live on without needing French aid. That could mean SS, investments, rental income etc. And there is no problem buying property there either.


Spain is fairly easy as well. I think the last time I looked you needed about 2K per month. But it doesn't have to be only a pension or SS, it could be that plus interest or investments.


I would also suggest to the OP to do some airm chair research. Start by visiting some of these countrys embassy websites. Thats a good place to get real time, unbiased instruction on what is or is not possible.


Bon voyage!

In general, I agree with you that a negative harangue especially from people who have never experience other countries is not helpful The one poster negative on Lake Chapala reminds me of a couple friend that retired there and had several break in s of their house and eventually moved back to where I live in the US. Mexico is inexpensive, has a great climate and great culture but there are disadvantages that people should be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,966 posts, read 2,903,874 times
Reputation: 11412
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
lieqiang where is that picture taken?
Indonesia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
In the US they use concrete-pumper trucks and a hose to fill the forms, in 3rd world they carry 5-gallon buckets up a rickety ladder and pour it by hand.
These guys some additional efficiency there, they were winching the buckets up on a rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 05:33 AM
 
Location: CT
3,461 posts, read 1,858,541 times
Reputation: 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
Thank you so much Aredhel and Llep for your response. It's what I was afraid of. I have seen about the only places that might accept us are Panana and Costa Rica but not sure that's what we want. Not islandy types - love mountains and change of weather. I'm sure we'll end up stuck in the US but thought I would ask. Thanks again.
Why don't you want to stay in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Central Mexico and Central Florida
7,108 posts, read 3,469,313 times
Reputation: 10184
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Why don't you want to stay in the US?
I'll let the OP answer for herself, but since we are about to purchase a(nother) home in Mexico, I'll give you my answer.

We like the culture, the people, the challenge and the adventure. Our money goes much farther there; the cost to carry a 2nd home there is very low compared to US. We can fly all over Mexico out of Guadalajara airport very economically....it's a diverse country. Mexico is close enough to US that we can fly back for family or medical reasons. Local medical care is great (we lived there full time 2008-2012) and low cost. If we wanted to we could join the national insurance program for very little cost.

We are veteran travelers....we have 'done' the US and Europe and find Asia trips too long for comfort. Mexico suits us perfectly!

YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,707 posts, read 4,738,002 times
Reputation: 28255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
First, I'd like to rant to the negative nellies on this board, who, instead of offering suggestions as OP requested, hijack the thread to try to convince someone to stay where they are unhappy.
I don't understand why every time this topic comes up, some compulsively put down others who are simply relating their own experiences. You'd think by the time we got to be this age, we'd have outgrown groupthink.

Live and let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,634 posts, read 4,477,565 times
Reputation: 9071
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I know right? I'd love to have a beer with Ohio_peasant to see if this prose happens in real time too. Amazing.
I get the feeling that you will be sharing a bottle of Chardonnay with ohio_peasant instead of a beer.


.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 AM
 
30,155 posts, read 47,378,519 times
Reputation: 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I'll let the OP answer for herself, but since we are about to purchase a(nother) home in Mexico, I'll give you my answer.

We like the culture, the people, the challenge and the adventure. Our money goes much farther there; the cost to carry a 2nd home there is very low compared to US. We can fly all over Mexico out of Guadalajara airport very economically....it's a diverse country. Mexico is close enough to US that we can fly back for family or medical reasons. Local medical care is great (we lived there full time 2008-2012) and low cost. If we wanted to we could join the national insurance program for very little cost.

We are veteran travelers....we have 'done' the US and Europe and find Asia trips too long for comfort. Mexico suits us perfectly!

YMMV.
Are you or friends you might have who relocated to Mexico concerned about Trump's rhetoric and efforts to strong-arm Mexico?
from what I have read Mexico's internal politics seem to be reacting in ways that might create some blow-back for Americans living there full time...
I know some areas are safer than others--but can this be new area of concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Central Mexico and Central Florida
7,108 posts, read 3,469,313 times
Reputation: 10184
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Are you or friends you might have who relocated to Mexico concerned about Trump's rhetoric and efforts to strong-arm Mexico?
from what I have read Mexico's internal politics seem to be reacting in ways that might create some blow-back for Americans living there full time...
I know some areas are safer than others--but can this be new area of concern?
Mexicans are not that small-minded. Plus they've had their share of bad politicians. I went to the Women's March in Ajjic. Fun time had by all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,626,989 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Your making a joke about the "advanced construction techniques and strict OSHA compliance" and I realize that.

However, this is a segue into another reason people should think twice about retiring to third world countries. Its easy to take for granted all the steps that the USA and other advanced countries take to prevent different sorts of accidents. OSHA and state agencies regulate safety at construction sites and may just prevent a crane from dropping a heavy weight on your head. Or maybe their rules will keep a crowd of brawny, uneducated lunkheads from dropping a bunch of bamboo poles and construction materials on you as well. American roads are some of the safest roads in the world. If we figure it by mile driven, your chances of being killed or seriously injured in a car accident are a fraction of what they are in third world countries like the Philippines You don't find meat hanging in the open air and if restaurants or stores in America serve you tainted food and you become sick, the legal system is there for you to take action against them. As a result, you can count on the food in America not being poisoned and tainted. Not so much in third world countries. We treat and control infectious disease so you seldom see illnesses like dysentery and typhoid fever in our country.
All these steps the government takes to "protect" us makes the cost of living go up and many can't afford to live here after retirement and likely a reason many seek to live elsewhere. Constant streams of lawsuits also jam up our legal system and dramatically increase costs everything from basic healthcare, health insurance, etc...

I'm no advocate for the wild wild west and doing whatever, whenever, but can appreciate views from both sides of that aisle too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top