Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,372,162 times

Advertisements

Spain or Portugal are often recommended as retirement destinations for Americans. The annual income requirements for Spain seem to be in the $36-40K range for two persons for a retirement VISA. I read on one blog where a family of four Americans purchased Spanish health insurance to include dental for $1600 a year in 2016 but of course, they were not seniors. Both of those countries have mountains although maybe a drier climate than what you are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:52 PM

30,099 posts, read 18,921,258 times
I've worked most of the last 15 years abroad on 5 different continents and studied this a bit. Cheap livable countries are Peru, Mexico, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia. Inexpensive and more developed countries are Spain, Portugal, and Chile.

BTW, you can find moderate climates even in tropical countries by going to elevation for those that have it.

Wife and I own an apartment in Marbella, Spain which we considered residing there most of the year but that would subject us to Spanish income taxes (bad for us). I would seriously consider Lisbon or southern Portugal as they have a more flexible Golden Visa program than Spain from my understanding.

I like Chiang Mai, Thailand and Arequipa, Peru for inexpensive but still interesting and comfortable lifestyle.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
My nephew suggested Uruguay.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,710,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Spain or Portugal are often recommended as retirement destinations for Americans. The annual income requirements for Spain seem to be in the $36-40K range for two persons for a retirement VISA. I read on one blog where a family of four Americans purchased Spanish health insurance to include dental for $1600 a year in 2016 but of course, they were not seniors. Both of those countries have mountains although maybe a drier climate than what you are used to.
My sister's ex-roommate retired in Spain a long time ago. She was not rich at all but got a nice inheritance and retired.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,057,841 times
I've posted this before but.....also keep in mind that once you move to another country you give up all the rights/safeguards the U.S. affords. A lot of the 2nd and 3rd world countries mentioned above are rife with corruption (yeah...I know the US has it ...but it pales in comparison with others), kangaroo courts (who favor locals) and other such issues.

Think long and hard about such a thing......get hurt in an auto accident and sue for real damages/medical fees in Thailand, Phillipines, etc.....have fun with that. As mentioned also, most US based healthcare coverage is not applicable in non- US territories.

Another thing....I knew someone who was an expat to a Caribbean island...he bought property and the deed defined it as his but when a neighboring local farmer complained (read: knew someone or greased their palms) he had his property lines redrawn & "decreased" to a smaller parcel of land under the excuse that the original measurements were mistaken.....this even though he had documentation showing the property boundaries and stake marks. He chose to live with it as he heard being an "outsider" his chances of winning the case in that country were slim and in fact could create more problems for him and mark him as a troublemaker.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 PM

5,240 posts, read 3,587,867 times
I have looked closely at Chiang Mai Thailand & Penang Malaysia, both are very doable, inexpensive & a nice lifestyle but I am not a fan of hot weather I finally decided. I could easily go to Ireland but the damp weather & expenses associated with living near Dublin aren't worth it for me. I just started looking at Portugal & was pretty satisfied with my first visit to Lisbon recently, I will definitely return & check out additional areas plus Spain.

Since you mentioned Canada & England I am guessing that you want an english speaking & not too different lifestyle, I would suggest looking at the Lake Chapala & San Miguel de Allende areas in Mexico. Thousands of americans live there going to Costco & watching satellite US tv for much less than living in the US, it's at a higher altitude there as well so not too hot. I think I read somewhere that LC has the largest US expat population anywhere.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
I moved to Mexico for a year, intending to retire early there. After a year, I couldn't wait to come back to the U.S. Glad I went, because now I have a new love of my country. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

And the silly thing is, you can usually find better prices right here. And better laws and safe, dependable police forces.

And it's really hard to understand and fit into a new culture. You just don't understand how difficult that is, until you've experienced it first-hand.

I even found that I could find affordable housing, etc., right in my home state of California. Who'd a thunk it could be true. But, it is.

I think a lot of people just get fed up with stuff and assume the entire country is ____________ fill in the blank - too expensive, whatever. But, if you can open your mind up to the possibility you can actually find what you want right in the U.S., and then start exploring your options with that mindset - you'll probably be amazed that you can find what you want right here.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:35 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,471,341 times
I've been to both Thailand and Costa Rica and they are two of my favorite places. Costa Rica is, by most measures, first world. It's an extremely beautiful place and the people are warm and friendly. I don't think anywhere else in Central America compares. And it is being overrun with Americans looking to purchase property there, which when I was there was very cheap to purchase (yet you have to use a local lawyer in purchasing land and there are horror stories of people actually unwittingly giving it to a crooked lawyer)

Thailand I have not been to since the 80's but I will never forget how friendly the people there were. But it is far from the U.S. and is an entirely different culture. I think someone could be happy in either location. I know I could be, and in 6 years will be considering both countries.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:11 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I moved to Mexico for a year, intending to retire early there. After a year, I couldn't wait to come back to the U.S. Glad I went, because now I have a new love of my country. I wouldn't live anywhere else.
This is a great perspective. Spending a long time overseas (especially in developing countries) can make one appreciate their own country more than they ever did, so many things we take for granted.

My wife and I like Thailand a lot. The food, the cost of living, the weather (well maybe not March and April), the food, the laid back attitude, the food, the easy access to the modern or western things when you need 'em, the food, the diversity of beaches/mountains/forests, the food, good medical care, and of course the food.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,912,142 times
Yes, at age 60 I discovered that I am 5 years too old to emigrate to New Zealand, even though the country has identified a Critical Shortage in my profession and I planned to work there for 5 or more years after the move. Most developed countries have substantial societal safety nets in place for the aged and infirm. They don't want people moving there only to gain the benefits without working to pay the taxes which support these nets.

Some countries, Norway is in this group I believe, will not allow recent immigrants to participate in the Health Care plans for a specified number of years after arrival...Employment and taxes paid do not change this restriction The unanswered question is, if 95% of the population is covered by the government Health Care Plan, where can the other 5% turn to buy a private policy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement