U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:47 PM

18,548 posts, read 9,592,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrid2017 View Post
You can apply for a retirement visa in Spain. The recommendations are that you can show that you make at least 24,000/year in retirement. Cost of living is soooo much lower. Housing is so much less.

Madrid, Spain (the capital) is 21% less expensive than Portland, Oregon. Numbeo.com has great cost of living calculators.
Quality of life is wonderful, people live longer and violent crime is almost nil!

I have lived here for 4yrs and do not plan on moving back.

Contact me if you are interested in retiring in Spain! We are an American and Spanish couple with a business that help with the difficulties of moving to another country, like the paperwork.
I agree Spain is much cheaper (I own a condo in Marbella) and offers a safe, healthy, 1st world lifestyle. I have 2 cautions:
1) If you have wealth or a high income, make sure you understand the taxes of Spain
2) Although it's much cheaper now, if the Euro gains much over the dollar, that advantage could evaporate (of course, if it goes the other way, Spain would be even cheaper.)

Anyway, Spain is an awesome country that I think has a lot to offer. I also like Chile and Peru as alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 08:39 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,018,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
I'm a U.S. veteran, so my wife and I have TRICARE.
For non-veterans most medical health care plans in the Philippines do not cover pre-existing medical conditions, unless the condition no longer exist after a one yr period. Here's a low cost plan called PhilHealth https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/ , which is sort of a medical supplemental coverage. Foreigners are eligible, the premiums is P17,000 a year(P15,000 for permanent resident visa holders), which only pays on the average around between 30% to 40% for medical costs, pharmacy not included.
So, upfront cash (self insure) with a PhilHealth Plan is probably the main solution, because the older one gets the more expensive medical health care plans are here, if one doesn't mind paying hefty annual premiums, for example here: Pacific Cross

Curious where you settled in Pinas?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
I made this mistake. You can find affordable housing in the states. You will have dependable police and fire services who aren't corrupt. You will have healthcare you can rely on. You will have title insurance on your property you can trust. A legal system that is not corrupt. Everyone will speak your language. Home invasions will be rare.

I learned this the hard way. Try to wrap your head around a new research project. Look at where you can afford to live within your own state. Or within another state if that's not possible. But, what I found out, is that even in CA, most of it is affordable. Pretend you have no other alternative on the planet but to find this. Instead of looking for proof you can't. It's just a mindset.

I understand getting into a mindset of thinking there are no reasonable alternatives in your state or this country. But, that's wrong.

Pretend you have absolutely no other choice but to find affordable housing within your state. Then, if you're not thrilled with an honest effort at that, move your focus to only within the US.

Odds are you will find a huge amount of options.

And you will understand the culture, and you can trust the system for the most part.

Then, travel, if you want more adventure.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree Spain is much cheaper (I own a condo in Marbella) and offers a safe, healthy, 1st world lifestyle. I have 2 cautions:
1) If you have wealth or a high income, make sure you understand the taxes of Spain
2) Although it's much cheaper now, if the Euro gains much over the dollar, that advantage could evaporate (of course, if it goes the other way, Spain would be even cheaper.)

Anyway, Spain is an awesome country that I think has a lot to offer. I also like Chile and Peru as alternatives.
I too like Spain, tho we lived in Catalonia when there. I would choose the basque region, and would love to build a senior cottage community in one of the 'free' villages!

It is # 4 on future international destinations for affordable living.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:30 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,465,006 times
Not everyone moves to a foreign country for its low cost of living. We can afford to live/buy anywhere in the US, but decided we liked the MXN culture (and weather and landscape/seascape far more than the US.

Owned a home here at Lake Chapala since 2008; also have a US home but only use it 8 weeks a year when we visit family or have doctor appointments (and btw the US home is 1 block from the coast on west coast of FL). But our current MX home is 1 block from largest lake in MX, twice the size of US home, large pool. An old hacienda with a separate casita that is now used for over-flow guests, but one day if needed, will be used for on-site caregivers.

We considered Spain for retirement (we visit there at least once a year for the past 7 years) but the distance from US is too far. We continue to use our US health insurance on trips to the US and have family in the US.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:10 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,018,418 times
I like Philippines because it's the most beautiful country for nature-lovers.

Caves, mountains, hills, lakes, waterfalls, etc. Oh yeah beaches and aquatics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrPW6lNdG1w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or