Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 PM

99 posts, read 188,601 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been checking different areas to see where we might be able to retire outside the US but it seems they have such high income restrictions (and/or other restrictions) that we won't qualify since we won't be working. We were looking into Canada and the UK. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would love to hear from others that have made the move.

Thanks so much for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Basically, any first world country will not accept you unless you have multi-millions in your retirement accounts. They want young, well-educated or highly skilled immigrants, not retirees. So you have to look at less-developed countries like Costa Rica, Ecuador, Thailand (to name just three that are popular with expatriate retirees).

Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 PM

344 posts, read 416,613 times
What are your goals? You listed 2 highly developed, English speaking "first world" countries. They will always be the hardest. Thailand, Mexico and Ecuador are all three fairly easy and cheap to gain long stay visas but they are not everyone's cup of tea. Strap on your seat belts, this topic usually brings lots of "back and forth" and has been discussed many times. There is a regular poster here that has made a nice life for himself in Portugal which is first worldy. Good luck! I am thinking of going abroad myself for a time so I will be hoping you get helpful answers.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:06 PM

99 posts, read 188,601 times
Thank you so much Aredhel and Llep for your response. It's what I was afraid of. I have seen about the only places that might accept us are Panana and Costa Rica but not sure that's what we want. Not islandy types - love mountains and change of weather. I'm sure we'll end up stuck in the US but thought I would ask. Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:09 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Yes, also curious as to what you are looking for in a place. The UK and Canada aren't too typical on the retirement destination list for reasons already stated plus others (not great weather, cost of living in the UK, etc.). Check out Mexico and south, all the way to Colombia and you'll find places that will accept US retirees pretty readily.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
There is a regular poster here that has made a nice life for himself in Portugal which is first worldy.
If you're Jewish... check your family history.

Home
Portugal recently passed legislation to grant citizenship to descendants of Sephardic Jews
who show can show their name is of the families expelled in 1496.
Draft legislation in Spain is expected to pass in 2015.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:24 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
Thank you so much Aredhel and Llep for your response. It's what I was afraid of. I have seen about the only places that might accept us are Panana and Costa Rica but not sure that's what we want. Not islandy types - love mountains and change of weather. I'm sure we'll end up stuck in the US but thought I would ask. Thanks again.
Also, it might help knowledgeable people give you advice if they knew the specific reasons why you do not wish to be "stuck in the US". In other words, whatever it is you don't like here would be important to have (or not to have, as the case may be) outside the US.

There is actually an enormous variety of possibilities in this country:
1. rural, semi-rural, suburban, urban
2. low cost of living, moderate cost of living, high cost of living
3. four season climates not too extreme, extreme winters, almost no winter but humid, almost no winter but dry, mountains, plains, etc.
4. different cultures such as the Bible Belt south, the live-and-let-live west, and so forth

Probably I have not exhausted the variations, but that's what came to my mind on the spur of the moment.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 PM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
Default thailand

I was in Seattle talking with a lady who had moved to Thailand and she loved it. Then I talked to some French girls who said Thailand is overrun with Americans and Europeans.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:51 PM

344 posts, read 416,613 times
Thailand ticks all my boxes except weather. It's "Orlando in July" all year long! It is safe, cheap and good medical options and the people are really nice.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 PM

757 posts, read 837,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
My husband and I have been checking different areas to see where we might be able to retire outside the US but it seems they have such high income restrictions (and/or other restrictions) that we won't qualify since we won't be working. We were looking into Canada and the UK. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would love to hear from others that have made the move.

Thanks so much for any input.
You do realize that Medicare does not pay overseas. You will need to get your own health insurance abroad.

I think it takes a lot of fortitude to live abroad permanently. Much flexibility. Cutting ties is not as problematic given the internet. I do not think most Americans understand how much quality of life has disappeared from our nation. So many agendas by so many groups and entities. Certainly privacy has disappeared. Just going grocery shopping is a hectic excursion. Seems we are closer to the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" stage only there is nothing to be done about things.

I have found in my seventh decade that it is far more difficult to make changes. Even small ones.

Oh, my choice years ago when dreaming of living outside the country was Prince Edward Island, New Zealand and Isle of Mann.

Best of luck on your plans.

Last edited by Bygeorge; 02-03-2017 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement