U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:13 AM

1,932 posts, read 1,201,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User60608 View Post
Will social security tell me the exact dollar amount of my deceased ex-husbands (whom I was previously married to for over 10 years and he nor I ever remarried) social security benefit amount?

Thanks
When we were checking my husbands SS online there was also an option for exes to check their former spouses SS. You'd probably need to know his Social but I didn't choose that option so I don't know what else they ask as far as info goes. It doesn't matter if either of you got remarried either as long as you were married at least 10 years and 1 day and fit the age requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,168,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
When I applied for SS at age 64 the woman who was helping me checked to see what amount my ex was drawing. Apparently my whole SS check was more than half of his SS check. I was not told the amount he was getting.

If he dies before me (he remarried 2x and I never did) I am not sure what, if any, I would get. We were married 21+ years.
You would be entitled to what he was getting or what he would have been getting had he filed. If he had worked past FRA and not collected yet you would also get the bonus amount he would have gotten. The other two wives would also get the same amount as you as long as each marriage lasted at least ten years.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:22 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,199,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
You would be entitled to what he was getting or what he would have been getting had he filed. If he had worked past FRA and not collected yet you would also get the bonus amount he would have gotten. The other two wives would also get the same amount as you as long as each marriage lasted at least ten years.

This. I had to bring in our marriage certificate to the SS office to get a printout of the actual amounts.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
arwenmark[/b];47100986]You would be entitled to what he was getting or what he would have been getting had he filed. If he had worked past FRA and not collected yet you would also get the bonus amount he would have gotten. The other two wives would also get the same amount as you as long as each marriage lasted at least ten years.
My ex is and has been collecting SS. He is still alive. He is about 16 months older than me and I will be 75 soon. I don't know the details as we do not have an amicable divorce. But when I went for an appointment with SS to collect my SS, she also took a look at what he is getting and said that the whole of my SS was more than half of his SS. At this point the only way I would see any money from his SS is if he dies. As much as I do not like him, I do not wish illness or death on him.

His second wife lasted about five years. His third wife has been with him about 20 years.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:36 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,068,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
My ex is and has been collecting SS. He is still alive. He is about 16 months older than me and I will be 75 soon. I don't know the details as we do not have an amicable divorce. But when I went for an appointment with SS to collect my SS, she also took a look at what he is getting and said that the whole of my SS was more than half of his SS. At this point the only way I would see any money from his SS is if he dies. As much as I do not like him, I do not wish illness or death on him.

His second wife lasted about five years. His third wife has been with him about 20 years.
I didn't know ex spouses get some of the SS when former spouse dies. In your case would you have to split it with his current wife should she be living when he passes away?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I didn't know ex spouses get some of the SS when former spouse dies. In your case would you have to split it with his current wife should she be living when he passes away?
There is no "splitting". They all get the same. Here is how SSA explains it at:
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou3.html

"Benefits paid to you as a surviving divorced spouse who meets the age or disability requirement as a widow or widower won't affect the benefit rates for other survivors getting benefits on the worker's record."

Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,235,973 times
^^^^^^^^^^^ As another poster often writes..... BINGO!

Old 02-07-2017, 04:48 AM

92 posts, read 60,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
There is no "splitting". They all get the same. Here is how SSA explains it at:
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou3.html

"Benefits paid to you as a surviving divorced spouse who meets the age or disability requirement as a widow or widower won't affect the benefit rates for other survivors getting benefits on the worker's record."
So interesting. In the UK where I am from, only one wife can get SS on a man's record at a time. That can lead to situations where an exwife married for ten years, who is older and can file first, gets her ex husband's SS and the current wife, married for twenty years or more, is out of luck and must wait for the exwife to die.

I wonder if that has changed now. I have been away from the UK for many years.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 AM

6,473 posts, read 13,943,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Wow that seems weird. Do the ex spouses have to pay into social security, or do they get benefits just based on the husband's contribution?

Old 02-14-2017, 07:23 AM

71,467 posts, read 71,652,652 times
they can get benefits based on their ex if they have no work record of their own .

if they do they get their benefit and if 1/2 their ex's full is more than their full they get a spousal adder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or