U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM

25,976 posts, read 32,978,177 times

Advertisements

I think it's absurd for anyone to pay for " burial insurance". Savings should cover such an expense, easily. And no one actually has to use the services of a funeral home.

https://www.everplans.com/articles/5...rect-cremation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,031,560 times
Some Funeral Homes in my area at least advertise PrePay packages. I am thinking about that as I would be sure of getting what I want.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 PM

361 posts, read 291,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I hauled my parent 2500 miles, rented a backhoe, did a flag ceremony, and blew TAPS on the deceased' own bugle.
It was very nice.

Is this really true? Sounds like the end of Lonesome Dove.

In any event direct cremation is the popular choice for my frugal cohorts. It runs about $850.00 including transportation and the cardboard box.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Some Funeral Homes in my area at least advertise PrePay packages. I am thinking about that as I would be sure of getting what I want.
Lots of loopholes etc. in pre paid plans. such as the place you choose going out of business, and lots of other complications. So take a HARD look at all the details before you go the pre-paid route.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:08 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Pay cash, use the cookie jar.

funerals / burial do not have to be expensive. Several options <$1000, including direct burial (within state and local regulations)

funerals.coop

http://legacyfunerals.com/burial-methods.html
After Death: 8 Burial Alternatives That Are Going Mainstream
Funeral Alternatives of Washington | Funeral Home & Cremation Service
Where to Go - Natural Burial Options - Natural End Map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_burial

I hauled my parent 2500 miles, rented a backhoe, did a flag ceremony, and blew TAPS on the deceased' own bugle.
It was very nice.

"rented a backhoe"

However, if burial is desired in a cemetery usually only the authorized grave digger is allowed to bring digging equipment in.

Last edited by David A Stone; 02-07-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
There is always the national cemeteries if either of you is a Veteran, you will need your dd214 showing honorable discharge. It gives you the gravesite for both of you, the internment. and perpetual care and a headstone or marker depending on the cemetery you choose. It does not provide the casket or transportation.
As for life insurance I have had a policy on my husband and one of my sons for many years with Ameritas Life. it is a Universal policy.
"national cemeteries"

also State veteran cemeteries.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM

659 posts, read 351,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I just looked at their website as I initially thought it was burial at sea!
Hahaha! I thought so too! (Which actually sounds pretty cool...)

Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM

7,096 posts, read 3,457,793 times
Quote:
Lots of loopholes etc. in pre paid plans. such as the place you choose going out of business, and lots of other complications. So take a HARD look at all the details before you go the pre-paid route.
My mother felt that way; she left $$$ in her checking account for her funeral and we all knew exactly what she wanted. Mass, funeral, burial next to my Dad. And a sit-down meal for everyone who came to the funeral mass...with an open bar. This was traditional in her neighborhood/church. I paid the bill and BTW...the cash bar tab was higher than the roast beef dinners for 50+ people.

A good sendoff. My Dad had similar.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:33 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Just wondering out loud?

Would it be good to setup a Funeral "Savings" account with a POD (Payable on Death) to a trusted friend/family member who would be arranging the service(s).

To keep the account out of the Estate?

Old 02-07-2017, 02:00 PM

37,096 posts, read 45,604,555 times
Quote:
Or you could move to somewhere else before you die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement