U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Why are funeral and death issues in the retirement blog? There is a grief and mourning blog. Retirement should not be regarded as the end of life. For many it is the beginning!
I for one an very glad to see such a thread in this forum, I even think there should be a sub-forum here for funeral related discussions. It is what comes at the end of retirement for most people after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:26 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Back to the Original Poster's question regarding life insurance policies for children in their 20's.

I don't think you can legally purchase such policies for non-dependent adults. Once the children reach the age of 21 they are considered adults. Exceptions occur such as student status, handicap status, and maybe even chronically unemployed status, which can result in children remaining as dependents past the age of 21, but generally speaking I don't believe parents can purchase life insurance for children 21 or older.

This doesn't mean you can't provide them with the funds to cover a policy they purchase, but I don't think you can purchase a policy on their lives.
I have a policy that I purchased on my son when he was 22 and had become a father. As his mother I was considered to have an insurable interest, didn't matter what his age was. He is now 31 and I still have and pay for the policy. and I am the beneficiary as well as the policy owner.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,609,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree with you that retirement is the pathway to a new beginning; however, planning ahead for one's demise needs to be addressed. When we leave this world, there are those still here left with the decisions and costs for our burial/cremation if we didn't make those plans ahead of time.
What she said. ^^^

Old 02-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Back to the Original Poster's question regarding life insurance policies for children in their 20's. I don't think you can legally purchase such policies for non-dependent adults.
I don't know about any other policies but the Globe Life "Young Americans" plan goes up to age 25.

I read a few negative reviews online about how they didn't want to pay out like they should and how their customer service was crap, so I don't think I'm going to consider that route any more.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Term insurance is the cheapest. Your kids should get it too and lock in a rate.
I don't think you can guarantee a locked-in rate on term, can you?

We were sold a term policy 30 years ago that was supposed to never increase the rate but they ended up later being legally challenged on that or something and now we keep getting letters saying that it's all settled now and rates could go up after a certain date, can't remember what it is.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:01 AM

12,486 posts, read 4,220,336 times
Funerals..... the final gouging..... I'm hearing $8,000 and up for a funeral. Ridiculous!!!

Do whatever you can do to keep the ceremony simple and low cost.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Don't worry, I will for mine (hopefully he will follow my wishes) or my husband's, but if something happened to one of the kids my husband would probably overspend out of guilt or something....it's kinda the way he rolls.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,987,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I don't think you can guarantee a locked-in rate on term, can you?

We were sold a term policy 30 years ago that was supposed to never increase the rate but they ended up later being legally challenged on that or something and now we keep getting letters saying that it's all settled now and rates could go up after a certain date, can't remember what it is.
Term life insurance rates are locked in for the life of the term policy. Payments will not change! If your rates changed then you didn't have a term policy and it's probably a Universal Life policy. If your auto insurer does not offer life insurance then you can google "term life insurance" and a million websites will come up.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How did your parents cause you to go into debt?
sorry, can't DM...
Not my debt. Parents created debt from borrowing from family and LT friends for 7 different businesses they owned. As I became their legal guardian (at age 18), I voluntarily elected to pay back friends and family. (and some businesses, as possible). I liquidated the businesses and worked 3 jobs (cuz I also had to buy a house for all of us... 624 SF on the wrong side of the tracks was a big change from the ranch)

Many of us end up doing such things for our families / delinquent / destitute adult kids, grandkids, and parents....and would do the same for friends in need, And most of us will personally fund a funeral / burial for same.

Personally, I will just keep $1000 stashed, rather than buy a life insurance policy / pre-paid burial on any of the many destitute siblings and kids (nieces / nephews) I could end up burying.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:45 AM

12,248 posts, read 12,499,482 times
Quote:
Back to the Original Poster's question regarding life insurance policies for children in their 20's.

I don't think you can legally purchase such policies for non-dependent adults. Once the children reach the age of 21 they are considered adults. Exceptions occur such as student status, handicap status, and maybe even chronically unemployed status, which can result in children remaining as dependents past the age of 21, but generally speaking I don't believe parents can purchase life insurance for children 21 or older.

This doesn't mean you can't provide them with the funds to cover a policy they purchase, but I don't think you can purchase a policy on their lives.
You can buy life insurance on anyone you have a fiduciary interest in. You don't even have to be related. Business partners commonly buy life insurance on each other. Movies buy life insurance on the cast. If you expect your children to provide care in your old age, you can certainly buy life insurance on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement