U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:45 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,013,437 times

Advertisements

Donate your body to science. They'll cremate your remains when they're done and give them back to your family if they want them.

It's free. It's what my dad did and what I plan to do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,911 posts, read 54,633,409 times
We are just going through this now with a family member that passed last weekend, and we (siblings) are chipping in since there was no insurance or other assets. We have a local place for cremation with scattering tube that is only about $700, and with a hall rental of a couple hundred for a memorial event, it's really not that bad.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM

4,777 posts, read 6,632,971 times
Again...cremation is not an option for me, my husband, or my children. Hubby is dead-set against it.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,772,783 times
There is a certain level of comfort in following long-standing family tradition, which in our case is a traditional funeral and burial in a cemetery. So that involves embalming and a casket and is not the cheapest route to follow. But you can get a relatively inexpensive casket, etc., etc. In any case, my sister and I chose to follow the family tradition when our mother died, and I'm not sorry we did. The amount of money was not an issue, especially as we did not go whole hog in every category.

But modern mobile lifestyles now often make it problematic to choose a cemetery for burial. Take my personal case: My mother, her parents, and most of her sibilings, plus some of her nieces and nephews, are buried in one cemetery in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Most of my father's family, but not my father himself, is buried in Loranger, Louisiana. My father is buried in Las Cruces, New Mexico. But I have lived almost my entire adult life in the Los Angeles area. So I pondered where it would make sense for me to be buried - with my mother and her family, with my father's family, or here where I have lived for so long, but where no blood relatives are buried?

There was no clear winner in my mind - it didn't make total sense for me to be buried in any of those places. Result: I pre-paid for my creamation (Neptune Society) and my sister will receive my ashes (if she survives me) to dispose of, bury, or keep as she sees fit.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Again...cremation is not an option for me, my husband, or my children. Hubby is dead-set against it.
Home burial is legal in AR, do the paperwork early, rent a backhoe ($200 for the weekend)

Or find a cheap rural cemetery.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:11 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,180,393 times
We moved from Cape Cod MA where we have a family plot and my family is buried, to WV where we know no one. I have decided that Husband and myself will be buried in the National Cemetery In Grafton WV about a hundred miles from where we now live.

That way we cut the costs of sending bodies back to MA and there is no cost for the plot or the internment or the headstone or the perpetual upkeep. Creamation is out of the question for us.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:29 PM

2,569 posts, read 817,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Fewer and fewer people are planning on funerals. Cremation and a remembrance occasion are becoming much more frequent. Personally my wife and I plan to avoid all costs by donating our bodies to the local medical school. The school will handle the final cremation costs.
Ditto. I did this for my father and (alas) my husband. Neither of them wanted me to waste what money I had paying for funerals. They take care of everything. It was truly a blessing.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Home burial is legal in AR, do the paperwork early, rent a backhoe ($200 for the weekend)

Or find a cheap rural cemetery.
We have plots awaiting us in the town cemetery where hubby grew up. They are free. They will be next to hubby's family, which is fine with me. I don't really care where my body is put after it dies, I won't be there.

But the funeral home will have to be paid to dig the hole and cover it up, at least....I'm not sure they let anyone else dig in the cemetery.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
We have plots awaiting us in the town cemetery where hubby grew up. They are free. They will be next to hubby's family, which is fine with me. I don't really care where my body is put after it dies, I won't be there.

But the funeral home will have to be paid to dig the hole and cover it up, at least....I'm not sure they let anyone else dig in the cemetery.
be sure to verify that in a town cemetery.

Engaging a funeral director to do a burial can become a very spendy proposition. ($2000+)
1) they are governed by the laws of their profession
a) They MAY be required to use a 'Wilton' Concrete Vault (as they were in a state I was doing a burial) ($1200 + a crane truck to deliver) more than my last SEPTIC TANK! and 1/8th the size
b) They will have overhead (they will be paying someone else to do this)
c) They will have incremental charges (such as using their vehicles and employees to deliver body to gravesite, monitoring the burial...)

I engaged a local digger (approved by cemetery, and same guy the funeral director would hire.) $175
I used a permanent fiberglass vault $235 (Funeral directors were not allowed to exercise that option)

Be careful
ask questions
know the full price!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
be sure to verify that in a town cemetery.
Be careful
ask questions
know the full price!
Ok, I'll ask around about that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement