U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 AM

5 posts, read 959 times

Advertisements

I believe one of the easiest ways to keep everything limber is through hiking at any age. If you can't do the week long treks into the mountains, anyone can take a day hike of 2-3 miles, take a picnic in your backpack and enjoy the beauty of nature while getting seemingly effortless exercise that is good for the body : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 07:09 AM

5,770 posts, read 4,830,089 times
^^^Definitely, my favorite form of exercise.

Does anyone else notice that even little things like cuts, abrasions, and bruises are taking forever to heal now? What's up with that? Is there some nutrient I am missing that promotes faster healing of wounds? I am a super klutz and I'm always cutting, burning, scraping myself on something and wearing scabs for what seems like an eternity.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 AM

5 posts, read 959 times
Great to hear Shadow. Believe it or not, I use duct tape on a minor cut or scratch. There's something in it that heals and closes abrasions quicker. : )

Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,062,526 times
my friend's 86 y.o. dad fell (fainted) in his assisted living apt. After a 3 day stay in the hospital (nothing found), he was so weak he had to go to rehab. Where they did a minimum amount of rehab, and now he is looking at nursing home care. Not even a slow decline, a quick one.

Gee, it's almost like they don't want you to get better. And now another chorus of "What do you expect at YOUR age?"

Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanine F. View Post
Great to hear Shadow. Believe it or not, I use duct tape on a minor cut or scratch. There's something in it that heals and closes abrasions quicker. : )

Are you putting it directly on an abrasion, or putting gauze on the wound first and then then duct tape over it? Do you happen to have any links that might explain this further? I've never heard of this, but if duct tape actually does help heal minor wounds, that would be a great new use for duct tape.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:33 AM

838 posts, read 598,633 times
I have really bad asthma, so walking outside with all the pollen we have in Texas makes it difficult. So I bought a treadmill and a fitbit. I make sure everyday i get 10,000 steps. I feel so much better exercising everyday, There are days I can't do the treadmill on a faster speed , thats ok at least I am moving and I take longer to get those 10,000 steps. When I can I take walks . Exercising and watching my weight are 2 important things to me. Gaining weight makes it harder to move when you can't breathe. I am 62.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:26 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times
Yeah, walking around the neighborhood is my favorite exercise, too. But the earlier comment about pollen reminds me of what I like most about my gym membership: when the pollen is falling, I can walk around the track in my gym. No pollen there! If it's raining/snowing/windy/too hot or whatever, the climate in the gym is always just fine. In fact, on hot days the gym becomes a nice escape from the hottest hours of the day. Why run up the AC bill when I can go over to the gym and enjoy theirs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or