U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 AM

56,123 posts, read 54,613,656 times

Advertisements

I can remember riding the commuter trains in my 40s and I would see a pregnant woman and think, "God, she looks older than me!"

We lie to ourselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 AM

546 posts, read 308,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
MattMN, what are TV ears? Are you referring to headphones that can be used with a TV. Or are you referring to a rabbit ears antenna that sits on top of the TV or next to it? How would that cut volume?
They are headphones that hook into the TV. Then the watcher can turn the volume up as much as they wish, without bothering those around them. My in-laws have them. They actually watch TV separately in adjoining rooms. He can't hear very well, so he takes his hearing aids out and puts on the TV Ears headphones, and it works wonderfully for their setup.

Apologies for the delayed reply!

Old 02-11-2017, 11:46 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,527,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A couple I hit head on, but I tended to guess around 5 years older.

I look for the lines around the eyes and the grooves running from the sides of the nose down to the corners of the mouth. Those are dead giveaways.

On New Year's Eve, that was the first thing I noticed on Mariah Carey--those grooves in her face. Prancing around in a tan body-shaper can't hide them lol.

(2nd paragraph ).......the exact same thing that carnies look at when guessing age and they are quite accurate.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:25 PM

56,123 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(2nd paragraph ).......the exact same thing that carnies look at when guessing age and they are quite accurate.
Hey, now there's an idea for a second career.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM

8,142 posts, read 8,634,968 times
I seemed to do quite well with that guess my age game.

Christie Brinkley does not look her age. Dick Clark . . . well we don't know what he looked like under the make-up.
Everyone else, yes you look your age give or take a year or two, no matter what people have told you.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 PM
mlb

3,188 posts, read 2,858,918 times
Attitude has a lot to do with it.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:58 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,403,644 times
President Kennedy is the first president I remember. He always looked old to me growing up. Now, looking back and knowing that he died in his mid 40's I still think he looked very old for his age.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:08 PM

895 posts, read 543,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Post a pic and we'll be the judge of how old you look

Giggle...

Old 02-11-2017, 08:27 PM

895 posts, read 543,851 times
I'll be 64 in July...and yes I have some lines and NO I am not ashamed of them. I earned them. LOL The picture in my profile is an up to date pix. I have stayed out of the sun for the most part - My husband is 8 yrs younger but has the soul of a much older person especially when I first met him 33 yr ago. We have been married 30 yrs this year. I have dealt with much much stress due to a very bad marriage when I was younger and I now have RSD as well as PTSD. I don't eat as well as I should especially since I am a Type 2 Diabetic.

When I am feeling stressed now - I purchase an On Demand comedy movie. Got to laugh. Good for the soul. Don't be naive to think that these celebs have not had work done to them. I will bet Christie Brinkley gets some nips and tucks done. She looks great but if I had her money, I could too. (grin) WE all could ladies. Love yourselves - take care of you the best that you can. If you suffer from chronic illnesses as I do - you need to pace yourself. Learn to say NO. Just do your best. I do use Lancome Products and Cetaphil cleanser only on my face. No soap. I know I now look my age but that's ok. I have been through a lot. Attitude is everything like the one poster mentioned. Throw some music on. Music puts me in a great mood especially from the 70's.

What does this all have to do with retirement though? (laughing) I guess I need to go back and re-read the OP's post??

Old 02-11-2017, 08:54 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
President Kennedy is the first president I remember. He always looked old to me growing up. Now, looking back and knowing that he died in his mid 40's I still think he looked very old for his age.
He was often in a lot of pain from a back problem. That can make a person look older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement