Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:08 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,249,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A couple I hit head on, but I tended to guess around 5 years older.

I look for the lines around the eyes and the grooves running from the sides of the nose down to the corners of the mouth. Those are dead giveaways.

On New Year's Eve, that was the first thing I noticed on Mariah Carey--those grooves in her face. Prancing around in a tan body-shaper can't hide them lol.
Not always. I have had those since I was in my 20s. I see a lot of young women with them - unless we are talking about different things.

I am 40 and have no lines around my eyes at all. My esthetician told me I didn't look my age, and I figured she ought to know, being a skin expert and all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,956,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Not always. I have had those since I was in my 20s. I see a lot of young women with them - unless we are talking about different things.

I am 40 and have no lines around my eyes at all. My esthetician told me I didn't look my age, and I figured she ought to know, being a skin expert and all!!
What did you expect her to say ?

"you sure look old for your age " ?

Any professional knows you always flatter your clientele

Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
What did you expect her to say ?

"you sure look old for your age " ?

Any professional knows you always flatter your clientele

I didn't ask her to 'tell' me anything?????

She read my chart and made the comment. I was not fishing.

In fact, I asked for the anti-aging facial. She said it was not needed and recommended something else (cheaper).

There was no need for her to say anything at all if were just flattery.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:55 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Since the subject turned to heavy drinking for some reason, my brother drank himself to death by age 62, along with cigarettes for 48 years. Many do not realize that heavy drinking for long periods kills the heart, it becomes enlarged, loses its abilities to function - cigarettes can do the same thing to the heart - heart disease is very common in drinkers and smokers. Many just think of cancer, but its heart disease that kills many and is rampant.

So COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) can develop from smoking, and long-term smoking and heavy drinking both can destroy the heart, pulmonary system, arteries, circulatory system, lung tissue, and the drinking leads to a fatty diseased liver. It was the enlarged heart from heavy drinking that killed my brother at 62, along with his COPD and other compromised organs of the body. (just responding to the two posters right before me on drinking & growing older, etc)
The bolded is so true! I quit smoking five years ago. I had cut down, but was unable to quit entirely until I went to a guy who does auricular therapy. Don't know if it was voodoo and I don't care, it worked, and I quit that day. The second he did the procedure, the craving for nicotine left and it has never returned.

But before he does the electrode on your ears, he does about an hour of a pep talk about the psychological effects of quitting (the claim is that that the auricular therapy removes the physical craving). For example, he tells you that if you are at work and see your smoker coworkers going out, do not envy them--instead, think to yourself, "Oh, those poor bastyrds".

He also spoke about the health impacts. Now I know that anyone can get cancer, but frankly, it's never been a big fear because no one in my family seems to get cancer. A grandfather did, but he was a plumber going back to the 1920s, and from the description of the inoperable tumor in his chest and my later work with asbestos removal contracts, I believe he died of an asbestos-related cancer before it was something that they looked for.

Anyway, so cancer didn't really scare me. However, this quit-smoking guy said far more than cancer, smoking causes heart disease, and yeah, that IS what kills us in my family, on both sides. It just helped solidify my desire to quit.

Heavy drinking also does affect the heart.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 AM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Living a healthy lifestyle is preferable to living hard but I believe genes play a much bigger part than previously thought.

I am seeing proof of this as I age and see my friends dropping like flies.
My husband's grandmother lived to 99. She'd had a very hard life when she was young, and it didn't get better for years. Her parents 'married her off' when she was 15 because they couldn't afford to keep her. She told me she'd faint in elementary school because she hadn't eaten. Her third child was born with a hereditary disorder which ended his life at 14. She worked part time to pay for his medical needs. Her husband died in his 50s, leaving her with not much more than rent due by the first of the month. She married again about 10 years later. Three months after they were married, they found out that he had some nasty cancer and wasn't going to be around much longer.

I only mention these things because she looked great for her age and had quite a bit of energy. My husband told me that when he was visiting the folks in his 20s, she took him to a club and she danced and drank him under the table. He fell asleep at 4AM.

Years and years of deprivation, stress, didn't take much of a physical toll. She'd also smoked for decades, and thought people shouldn't drink too much water because it would rust your insides. In 20 years, I never saw her drink water. This has got to be hereditary. Her mother, the woman who had nothing to feed her, lived to 102.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:54 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,172,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband's grandmother lived to 99. She'd had a very hard life when she was young, and it didn't get better for years. Her parents 'married her off' when she was 15 because they couldn't afford to keep her. She told me she'd faint in elementary school because she hadn't eaten. Her third child was born with a hereditary disorder which ended his life at 14. She worked part time to pay for his medical needs. Her husband died in his 50s, leaving her with not much more than rent due by the first of the month. She married again about 10 years later. Three months after they were married, they found out that he had some nasty cancer and wasn't going to be around much longer.

I only mention these things because she looked great for her age and had quite a bit of energy. My husband told me that when he was visiting the folks in his 20s, she took him to a club and she danced and drank him under the table. He fell asleep at 4AM.

Years and years of deprivation, stress, didn't take much of a physical toll. She'd also smoked for decades, and thought people shouldn't drink too much water because it would rust your insides. In 20 years, I never saw her drink water. This has got to be hereditary. Her mother, the woman who had nothing to feed her, lived to 102.
I have great aunts and a grandmother that fits this description. Hard lives. Along with smoking and drinking! They lived into their 90s. My mom almost made it to 92 and she really didn't have a major illness. Just wore out.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:16 PM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have great aunts and a grandmother that fits this description. Hard lives. Along with smoking and drinking! They lived into their 90s. My mom almost made it to 92 and she really didn't have a major illness. Just wore out.
I was a little surprised that my mother died in her 80s. One brother died from TB in his 40s, two sisters from cancer in their in their 60s, but one brother made it to 102. I guess she just split the difference.

On dad's side, two great aunts lived into their 90s. One may have been an in-law, but great aunt Edith belonged to us. She married a wealthy guy when she was in her late 20s, so she had the best of everything. She had been an old maid!

I remember going to her house when it was being emptied so that it could be sold. It was sad. I remember being taken to visit her when I was a little girl. The huge Victorian and the antiques frightened me a bit, but she would offer cocoa, cookies, and let me play with the antique toys. Uh, I didn't know that the rocking horse had been hand carved in the 1800s.

Ramble, ramble, ramble...

Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 PM

588 posts, read 460,623 times
Ramble on sweet one.

We have a history.

We are not invisible.

We are alive with stories to tell (and not tell!)

When I consign myself to a rocking chair on a porch I will tell of things I did in my past that are not ready to be revealed.

Some of which surprises me now. No regrets.

Ramble on.

Love
Love

Old 02-15-2017, 07:14 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,113,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I didn't realize there was a thing called an esthetician. On another note my wife's pedicurist won't even give me an estimate. She suggested a concrete refinisher.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I didn't realize there was a thing called an esthetician. On another note my wife's pedicurist won't even give me an estimate. She suggested a concrete refinisher.

Let me Google that for you:

Esthetician. Estheticians (sometimes referred to as Aestheticians) are licensed professionals who are experts in maintaining and improving skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement