U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 AM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
To the OP, I'm 61 years and 99 cents like you. I, too, get those comments about how I don't look my age but years younger. I used to eat it with a big spoon. It was a tasty slice of ego cake.

Then I realized that I do look my age. It's just that the people giving me those compliments don't. They look older than they really are.

Humble pie tastes better than ego cake. Try a slice, you might like it.
Good one. I am 58. I don't think anyone would mistake me for being in my 40s. I just hope they don't think I am 65.

I went to a funeral this week, the mother of someone I went to school with. My old friend said to me, "you look great. You never age." But, like you say above, SHE did. She was blonde and blue-eyed and when she was young, she baked herself tan every summer at the beach and took frequent vacations to Jamaica. That sun has done its damage. It's not that I haven't aged normally, it's that she aged beyond her years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,322,593 times
Those 'Crook Pots' (sic) can indeed be dangerous (as crooks can often tend to be) if you turn them off and leave them for 8 hours while you go to work. Please don't tell people to do that. Food that sits in the 'danger zone' for more than 2 hours can be very hazardous to one's health. If you want to do that yourself, that is one thing but don't tell others that is a good and safe practice. Food should be kept above 140 degrees F or below 40F.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,840,630 times
"This is gonna suck but here it goes"

Kind of a strange thread. It reminds me of that raccoon commercial, "This tastes terrible .... here, try it!"

Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 AM

I wouldn't leave a crockpot on while I wasn't home in the first place. I have pets. If they died in a fire because I was stupid, I would not forgive myself.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"This is gonna suck but here it goes"

Kind of a strange thread. It reminds me of that raccoon commercial, "This tastes terrible .... here, try it!"
I didn't get the meaning of the thread title in relationship to the OP at all. She appears to be saying that we are all going to be jealous of her, and I'm not sure why. But the post was kind of disjointed and rambling and badly written, so I figured the alcohol was in play!

Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
no matter how pristine your lifestyle, when your time comes, it comes
Exactly. Just like the Russian pair skaters, he was in his prime physically, and dropped dead of a brain aneurysm during practice one day.

I just live how I want, within reason. I've had a few health scares which have taught me to scale back on certain activities (skin cancer nixed my practice of laying out by the pool all day, a heart issue killed the Monster energy drink habit, and panic attacks made me cut back on my alcohol intake).

Old 02-09-2017, 07:45 AM

544 posts, read 308,193 times
I found it amusing that I was drinking coffee and eating a donut as I was reading this. Some good tips, but like everything out there, readers will have to take it with a grain of salt and decide what they want to do. But to OP - congrats on your healthy lifestyle, and glad it is working for you!

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
To the OP, I'm 61 years and 99 cents like you. I, too, get those comments about how I don't look my age but years younger. I used to eat it with a big spoon. It was a tasty slice of ego cake.

Then I realized that I do look my age. It's just that the people giving me those compliments don't. They look older than they really are.

Humble pie tastes better than ego cake. Try a slice, you might like it.
Couldn't rep you so I'll do it this way: great post.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 AM

6,310 posts, read 3,574,248 times
I know someone who never really knew how old and achy he was until he quit drinking.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I know someone who never really knew how old and achy he was until he quit drinking.
Lol, my friend's husband used to drink a 6 after work at night and then give it up for Lent. By week 3 he was complaining constantly about his aches and pains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement