U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:55 AM

890 posts, read 677,224 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"This is gonna suck but here it goes"

Kind of a strange thread. It reminds me of that raccoon commercial, "This tastes terrible .... here, try it!"

yes, I thought the same thing, odd thread. And really, who cares how you look? Younger or older, doesn't change the number.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
I don't mind looking my age. I'm happy to be here looking just like me.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM

588 posts, read 344,756 times
My parents died at 76....both of them. Thirteen years apart. One, in part because of smoking and working in a solvent factory...killed my mother's lungs, the other, my father died of complications of a poorly managed diabetes. They were both very pretty people.

And yes, I was just musing over what someone said to me about me the other day. That I look younger than my age.

I stayed out of the sun and didn't smoke, however, it would not surprise me to find it has so much to do with genes.

Funny, I never thought I was pretty for most of my life. If anyone told me I was I didn't believe them.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 AM

3,692 posts, read 1,869,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Post a pic and we'll be the judge of how old you look
All excellent advise. I'm 61 and get told all the time I look younger than that.

I see people where I work that are my age and can barely move, use canes, oxygen, morbidly obese, etc. Am I just fortunate? Nope.

I eat whole, good foods, rarely drink, walk for a hour each day, get 6 or 8 hours of sleep every day.

I am envious that she lives in quiet. My husband had the TV blaring all freaking day. Oh how I hate that. One thing we are going to HAVE to address when I retire in December.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:11 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times
I think genetic plays a huge part in how 'young' a person look. Of course, there are lifestyle factors which can make a person looks older than their age (smoking, excessive exposure to the sun, substance abuses etc.). However I think youngish looking persons should thank their genes more than patting themselves on the back.

IMO, it is more important that you feel young than look young for your age. I am very happy to see my biological age is 20 years less than my chronological age.

Find out your Biological-Age

BTW, sometimes it is not to your advantage to look younger than your age. My small stature, happy and energetic attitude usually make people think I am much younger than my age so I have never been automatically offered a senior discount. I always have to ask for it and don't mind showing the proof ;-)

P.S. I agree with S&S's post below regarding sun exposure. I am an avid outdoor person and use no sun protection except for a cap. I tan very easily and don't have any wrinkles which I attribute strictly to genetic factor.

Last edited by BellaDL; 02-09-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times
I don't understand this post at all. Is she "living a life of stress"? "having chronic health issues"?
"Drinking every day"?

That doesn't jibe with all the other fine lifestyle choices she's doing.

I'm in the genetics camp. I have a friend here over 65 who walks the beach for hours in her swimsuit, no hat, no sunscreen. She's smoothly tanned with no wrinkles on body or face. No sun damage. I asked her nationality and she said "French Canadian". Dang! I thought she might be Italian....

I don't seek out the sun but have lots of sun damage anyway. Always get a lecture at the dermatologist.
Why? 100% Swedish. SIGH.

My grandparents ate whatever they wanted (lots of sugar, butter, etc.) and lived to their late 90's, active until the end. Parents died in their late 80's. I think food additives made that difference but who will ever know?

Now I'm going to have to look up crock-pots. I left mine on all day and thought I was safe.
Dang again!

Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Here's a website where you can post a pic and people guess your age....then you can see the results. I don't know if people guess very seriously or just mess with you but it's worth a shot:

Guess My Age - How old do I look?

There are probably other sites that do the same thing...

I'd be interested in this if we could do it here with our members. Now that would really be fascinating. New thread, anyone?

The minute I see "Sign in and register", I'm outta there! I make an exception for C-D.

I agree, the OP should post a picture and let us vote....

Slow-cookers are designed to be safe, programmed to be above 165 "well out of the danger zone". Whew.
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/saf...owcooksafe.htm

Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A lovely woman in my play readers group age 60 who ate very healthy, did not drink, exercised, looked about ten years younger, had a calm happy personality and a great sense of humor died in her sleep a couple of days ago. She had no previous signs of ill health. She had checkups every year.
But dying in our sleep without being ill is a good outcome, isn't it?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 AM

890 posts, read 677,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
But dying in our sleep without being ill is a good outcome, isn't it?
If he were alive to comment about this, I'm sure David Carradine would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement