U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 PM

3,367 posts, read 2,705,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For me, it happened a lot last year when I told people I was retiring, which raises the question where I worked "how many years do you have?" Don't know if people were just being polite, but that's how the conversation occurred.
Yup, that makes sense. About the only conversations I've ever had about the subject of how old I am have been at work places, usually in the "getting to know each other" phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 10:33 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,067,156 times
I look every bit of my 68 years. My hair is completely natural silver (a flattering color for me) and I've never had cosmetic injections or surgery. I regularly walk/jog/run 2-5 miles a day on steep hills, do strength training and yoga, eat healthy so I'm fit enough.
Just for kicks I like to pad my age by a few extra years and tell people I'm 75 or so. Their "wow, you look great!" reaction soothes my ego. If I live to be 75, I'll start telling them I'm 85 or 90 just to rattle their cages. If someone is young enough (and I'm frequently around university grad students), I might throw in some reminiscing about the great depression or WW2 (both well before my time) just for the heck of it.
Old age can be fun.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 10 days ago)

5,608 posts, read 6,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I look every bit of my 68 years. My hair is completely natural silver (a flattering color for me) and I've never had cosmetic injections or surgery. I regularly walk/jog/run 2-5 miles a day on steep hills, do strength training and yoga, eat healthy so I'm fit enough.
Just for kicks I like to pad my age by a few extra years and tell people I'm 75 or so. Their "wow, you look great!" reaction soothes my ego. If I live to be 75, I'll start telling them I'm 85 or 90 just to rattle their cages. If someone is young enough (and I'm frequently around university grad students), I might throw in some reminiscing about the great depression or WW2 (both well before my time) just for the heck of it.
Old age can be fun.
Tell them you're a Titanic survivor! That'll get 'em!

Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Old age can be fun.
Or better yet bicuitmom "You think I look good -wait till you meet my mother!"

Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Love it!

One of my ancestors was written up in a newspaper for being the county's oldest living citizen at 109 years old. He was lauded as a French-Indian war hero, etc etc etc, and the article said many flattering things about how well he got around for his age. The documents I dug up said he was 91 at the time the article was written.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Love it!

One of my ancestors was written up in a newspaper for being the county's oldest living citizen at 109 years old. He was lauded as a French-Indian war hero, etc etc etc, and the article said many flattering things about how well he got around for his age. The documents I dug up said he was 91 at the time the article was written.
I was reading the online news today and the oldest woman in America, who lived in NJ, just died at 114! She kinda looked like hell up an alley way, but nobody that makes it to her age is going to look like a 30 year old Joan Collins anyway! I figure this way ..."I'm breathing, I'm good!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 PM

588 posts, read 344,991 times
I found the subject of age would come up when a new person in my life was curious why I was working just part time and at a low paid job as it was.'

I was honest and told them I was semi retired and will be taking SS soon. That always shocked them.

Red lips, hair n fingernails, I hear you're a mean ole Jezebel!

Such pre conceived notions of the less than 50 crowd LOL!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:12 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A lovely woman in my play readers group age 60 who ate very healthy, did not drink, exercised, looked about ten years younger, had a calm happy personality and a great sense of humor died in her sleep a couple of days ago. She had no previous signs of ill health. She had checkups every year.

I'm not saying the OP's suggestions are not a key for a long and healthy life. Those are good guidelines. It's just not a guarantee of a long and healthy life for everyone. So no matter how pristine your lifestyle, when your time comes, it comes.
My sister who has never had an alcoholic beverage or anything else that was bad for her also looked about 35 years old in her casket. We thought she was healthy as a horse walking about 5 miles at a time through the woods. She started feeling tired and two months later she died of liver cancer at age 68.

I used to be concerned about weight and lifestyle until I started realizing many larger people are still going strong after age 80 and many skinny people are dropping like flies. I am enjoying life and not worrying about being perfect.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My sister who has never had an alcoholic beverage or anything else that was bad for her also looked about 35 years old in her casket. We thought she was healthy as a horse walking about 5 miles at a time through the woods. She started feeling tired and two months later she died of liver cancer at age 68.

I used to be concerned about weight and lifestyle until I started realizing many larger people are still going strong after age 80 and many skinny people are dropping like flies. I am enjoying life and not worrying about being perfect.
The secret is to stay fairly thin up to the age of 85 and then to start pigging out a bit! It seems that past 85, your BMI should slowly rise to make it to 100 years old. Still going to the Aquatic Center?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:32 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Quote:
Old age can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
With children, who haven't gotten a basic sense of a history time line yet, and in addition don't have much of a sense about living people's ages either, one can tell even taller tales and be believed.

Recently I told a fifth grader (age 10 or 11) that I had met George Washington when I was a boy. He asked me in all seriousness how I had come to meet him. Of course I have to keep a straight face in order to bring it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement