Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 04:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Well, I don't want to lose my mind and still be alive no matter how good I might look...

Oh, wait.....I already lost my mind.

I hear you're a mean ole Jezebel!

LOL and LOL again.

If I make it to 80 all this "clean livin" means all bets are off.

In all seriousness...if I did not have this chronic condition that ramps up if I eat too much of ANYTHING...read...caffeine, sugar, booze, candy, pop, white bread, pasta, rice, the list goes on. I never said I liked it. I just gotta do it!
You're so right about the losing your mind part! That's the only thing that scares the crap out of me when I get older! I'd rather be dead than have Alzheimer's and if I do get it, I'd like to be put to "sleep" like the family pet ...before I start draining my estate down to zero or fail to recognize family members!

Having your marbles, is a lot more important than having your looks!

But getting back to the original point, I'm two years younger than Richard Thomas who played John-Boy on the Waltons and used to look a little like him in my late teens and early twenties. Now, I'm starting to resemble Will Geer who played his Grandpa. But unlike Richard Thomas, I don't have to wear hearing aids. I think I'd rather be the snarky Grandpa-looking type who can hear your cell phone ringing when you're outside, 2 blocks away! I think for my next act, I'm going for the "Dumbledore" look as the "local wizard" of my HOA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Living a healthy lifestyle is preferable to living hard but I believe genes play a much bigger part than previously thought.

I am seeing proof of this as I age and see my friends dropping like flies.
Yep - I had a relative who smoked like a chimney (the unfiltered Camels) who lived to be 90 and then there is my father who died at 75 from diabetes complications. He is the youngest out of all my close family to die before 80 but he didn't eat the way he was supposed to with his condition. So I also believe genes play a very big part of how old you may be when you die. My paternal grandfather lived to be 97 and ate a typical Italian diet, lots of pasta, olive oil, garlic, escarole, etc. He never smoked and drank a little red wine every day. He died 3 years before his son (my father).

Perhaps if your genetic make-up is bad you can improve your life expectancy to a certain extent by being careful about your diet and exercising regularly but even that is no guarantee.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:45 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
I worked with a tip-top, extremely fit, triathlete, super endurance runner, all-around active guy and athlete's athlete. 23 years old. Went home one day because he wasn't feeling well. Died in his sleep that night.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Only once this week. We drove out of county on Monday and hubby is sniffling today. I-77 is a mess. Don't go there. How about you?

You looked fine the last time I saw you but who cares. We bought our niche last year so our children won't have to.

If I sweep off the patio and mop the kitchen will that count for my activity today?

I have been told my Facebook profile picture looks great. I was around 18 when it was taken.
NCN - Quit smoking almost 10 years now! Haven't been on I-77 in 9 years! If you get out of bed and are still breathing, you're doin' well in my book! I ride my bike around the school parking lot at 2 AM (no cars and traffic!) and do the treadmill to stay in shape. I don't do Facebook because I don't want "distant friends and relatives" to find me! ... I bet you don't send Martie a birthday card! Stay well kiddo!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I worked with a tip-top, extremely fit, triathlete, super endurance runner, all-around active guy and athlete's athlete. 23 years old. Went home one day because he wasn't feeling well. Died in his sleep that night.
That's terrible! But imagine how short his life would have been if he wasn't in shape!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:26 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
To all you posters who are certain you look a lot younger than your age..................

Go to a carnival where you win a stuffed bear if the carny misses guessing your age by more than a couple years.

You most likely will NOT be bringing a stuff bear home.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:09 PM

510 posts, read 716,277 times
My partner's brother just died, age 63. He smoked although not a lot. He was an alcoholic and drank heavily, did not eat well or take care of himself. We still don't know much about what he died of but must have been related to the above as it was not an accident or suicide.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
My partner's brother just died, age 63. He smoked although not a lot. He was an alcoholic and drank heavily, did not eat well or take care of himself. We still don't know much about what he died of but must have been related to the above as it was not an accident or suicide.
Yep, being an alcoholic will really fry your liver. I had a friend who drank like a fish all his adult life and died at age 61 and 8 months. In his case I was surprised he lived as long as he did.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
My opinion is that genetics has the biggest impact on longevity. If you have good genes and live your life without excess you should be good to go. For the rest of the world without good genes, you can try to maximize your lifespan by rigorous exercise and diet, stress reduction, etc.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
To all you posters who are certain you look a lot younger than your age..................

Go to a carnival where you win a stuffed bear if the carny misses guessing your age by more than a couple years.

You most likely will NOT be bringing a stuff bear home.
Lol. Exactly.

Those who think they look 10 years younger, post a pic. I guarantee you look your age & people are just being kind.

Last edited by LLCNYC; 02-10-2017 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement