Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 PM

199 posts, read 183,822 times

Advertisements

Insure what you can't afford to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:58 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I agree with the rest. If you haven't shopped your insurance around in a while it sounds as though it's time to do that.

But still, the mortgage doesn't enter into it. What would you do if your house burned to the ground? As long as you own the house you'll need homeowner's insurance.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I agree with the keep your insurance crowd, but you but you​ wouldn't believe how many people in the OP's situation drop their insurance the day after the mortgage is paid off.

That includes flood insurance for people 1 foot above mean high tide. We had one guy who's wife dropped their insurance two weeks before a tropical storm rolled up the Bay and put five feet of water into the house.

That house got hit two more times before he raised it. But even then he screwed up by not being able to make a decision until after the FEMA grants to do so expired.

Other people drop their insurance and then get flooded out. Their story is that that didn't realize they were in a flood zone even though they had flood insurance for 30 years and we have Flood Zone signs everywhere in the area impacted.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Doesn't homeowners insurance cover more than just your physical home? For example, if someone is injured on your property and you're found to be liable, doesn't it cover that person's resulting bills?

Old 02-09-2017, 02:37 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Doesn't homeowners insurance cover more than just your physical home? For example, if someone is injured on your property and you're found to be liable, doesn't it cover that person's resulting bills?
Yes.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

Yes, and for a small price you can buy an additional umbrella policy that will cover you if someone files a claim for more than your homeowner's policy covers. For example, I pay @ $100/year for a $1,000,000 umbrella policy issued by the company that has my homeowner's insurance.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:45 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
If you can afford to rebuild the house without insurance you could drop the insurance. But if you can afford that you can not afford not to have liability insurance.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:56 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Some of this depends on the value of the land relative to the structure. A $1 million lot on the beach with $100K worth of house on it? I'd only want liability insurance. Don't charge me huge money to insure the structure.

If I owned a teardown, I certainly wouldn't insure it. Otherwise, I'd take a hard look at high deductible insurance.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbf57 View Post
LOL thank you for your replies, she's actually a very good accountant but I questioned her reasoning since we are definitely not part of the 1%. I will be calling around to find better rates and keep us insured. Thanks again.
Without knowing what your homeowner's insurance covers, it's difficult to automatically conclude you are paying too much. In South Florida, most people are already essentially pretty much self-insured when it comes to hurricanes (2-3.5-percent deductible per storm). -- Perhaps that is what your accountant was talking about(?)

Otherwise, a "good accountant" who gives poor financial advice - sounds like a contradiction. It couldn't hurt to ask other accountants if they concur with this advice.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:13 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Sorry, I still stuck on the fact that your account told you to drop your homeowner's insurance.
The person didn't say shop for a better rate, or get a higher deductible -- they suggested dropping it all together. IF this person does your taxes they know your financial situation, and know you can't self insure for all the kinds of loses covered by homeowner's insurance covers.

One how dies an educated professional that deal with any kind of personal finances -- an has some what of a fiduciary responsibility -- not know that whether your house is paid off has nothing to do with the wisdom of this kind of coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement