U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
tomchard, JRR, ... . . . however the stupid thing I did was tell my employer that I am retiring. What this means is that the loan company will not use my current income to qualify for the new mortgage.
I had a friend make this mistake (declaring intent to retire to another state, and buy a home there), and it was a headache to clear up. Lender was NOT impressed the home was out of state... (should be pretty common)

I would look at all options BEFORE cashing in any taxable funds (especially in a yr you might be getting payments for severance or vacation / sick leave / bonuses...)

Stuff I have done...
1) HELOC on current house even if it is for sale (it will 'settle' at closing, and often HELOC is free from fees using current lender) (I keep a few hundred K available this way, as I am NOT keen on the hassle of banks and how they can slow / lose a sales contract)
2) Stock / equity Margin account (much cheaper than a bridge loan, especially if you have a block of capital in appreciated stocks you don't want to sell either.

In either of the above cases you can 'write a check, and only have to pay monthly interest
(very reasonable for a 'bridge' situation)

3) Hard money lenders - I have several friends who do this for each other to close transactions. (All legit and with contract / collateral... no FEES / waiting.)
4) Family lenders - Same as above... I have a few relatives with assets reaping <1%, so they are happy to do a bridge loan for 3-6 months for 5%
5) Owner Finance - very attractive to some sellers. I always do auto-pay and write a 190 day 'call' clause in case either party wants out.

Other options I have considered but not done YET...
a) Stock secured loan
b) leveraging something besides Real Estate or Stocks to get a personal line of credit. (first born, business assets, cash flows, ...)

Good luck, but do what you can to avoid a 'distribution' from qualified acct. Including finding a new lender.

Talk to your friendly insurance agent, mine has all kinds of solutions, as he has lots of contacts and business associates. He is a gold mine of solutions, and we talk a few times / month. (about stuff far different than insurance)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Is this a great country or what???
HaHa! The perfect answer !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement